All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fruit Tree Progress Pictures

Sandbur - I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on these topics, specifically item #2. I've added some specifics on the location and soil types below which I think will address items 1 and 3.?.? Of course though, I'll due my own due diligence in researching these items too.

Yes on both accounts, almost 10' tall and 5' welded wire. So, what's your opinion on how high I should go when lopping off the lower branches?

I'm right on the edge of zone 5b/6a. I've got my small apple orchard planted in an old hog pen, so the top 1' + of soil is outstanding, with sandy loam under that. Most of them sit on a slight sloping hill to the E S/E with full sun during the day and partial sun/shade in the last 2-3 hours of daylight.

I suspect leaving those lower limbs that are inside the cage might reduce rubbing???

You probably do not have any concerns with sunscauld (winter) in your climate. I am 3B/4A and a different situation.

Doesn't spiders gold rush need to be pruned something fierce, it looks like it has 5 leaders...?

Doesn't spiders gold rush need to be pruned something fierce, it looks like it has 5 leaders...?

It's been pruned back every winter since I planted it. Not sure there is much else I can do about rapid growth each year, is there?

Great looking trees, Aero!

Ok, so I've been reading up Captan and Imidan. The consensus isn't clear on the ratio's per gallon... What do you guys recommend? (1 tbl per gallon for Captan and 1/2 teaspoon Imidan per gal.?) I realize there is a lot of details and things to learn, but for now I need to keep things as simple, but effective as possible.

And is Keystone the place most get these from still?

Ok, so I've been reading up Captan and Imidan. The consensus isn't clear on the ratio's per gallon... What do you guys recommend? (1 tbl per gallon for Captan and 1/2 teaspoon Imidan per gal.?) I realize there is a lot of details and things to learn, but for now I need to keep things as simple, but effective as possible.

And is Keystone the place most get these from still?

I have good luck with Keystone.

And you're right about the different advice re: chemical ratios, but I use 2 tbsp per gallon each...that's Apple Man's advice from the other site (apologies for the link to the dark side): https://www.qdma.com/forums/showpost.php?p=520232&postcount=14

-L2L

Edit: I should mention that Apple Man is a grower and thus more focused on the complexion of the fruit than most of us are. While most of us won't spray as often as he does, I think his approach is still valid

Last edited:
That's what I needed, thank you!

Keystone is great. Imidan is 1lb or one wet table bag per 100 gallons. You can adjust from there and Captan I use 7 cups for every 55 gallons. You can do the math from there. So far it works great. Can adjust high or low depending on threat

Aero is planting in higher volumes and with bigger/more-mature trees than I do (maybe someday!), but here are the ratios I use for multiple gallon applications depending on the number of trees you have.

Spray%20Ratios_zpsnwvq7cno.jpg

Aero is planting in higher volumes and with bigger/more-mature trees than I do (maybe someday!), but here are the ratios I use for multiple gallon applications depending on the number of trees you have.

Spray%20Ratios_zpsnwvq7cno.jpg
The label on imidan says .75 to 1 lb per 100 gallons so I take a one pound wet table bag cut it in half and throw in sprayer. My trees are getting big because of b118 roots and Antonovka. I am now planting mostly dwarf roots to put more trees in smaller area and make sprayed a lot easier. It's the hardest most time consuming job in growing trees. Also spraying the base of trees with roundup is a chore. I do t gravel, mulch or weed barrier any trees and cage them all.

It's been pruned back every winter since I planted it. Not sure there is much else I can do about rapid growth each year, is there?

I'm learning right along with everyone else, i was asking an honest question. Maybe Goldrush is known for growing a bit more wild looking?

I'm learning right along with everyone else, i was asking an honest question. Maybe Goldrush is known for growing a bit more wild looking?
I took it as an honest question. I really took a lot off of it this winter, only having the stair step branches left. All the competing leaders from last year were cut back by around 1/2 their length (guide says to prune back into 2 year old wood or older). I'm going to put a smaller cage around it like smsmith suggested. Then it will be easier to get the "full" tree effect with being able to get easier access to training angles. Other than that, I've only pruned once a year during the winter (except for anything dead).

Edit: I use this as my guide for training and pruning; http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/a1959.pdf

Midwest Grower Supply is another good source for chemicals, found them to be cheaper on some suff than Keystone. I believe the Univ. of Kentucky also has a publication that has quantities for small volume tank mixes. I have a copy in the garage I will check the source or sure.

Midwest Grower Supply is another good source for chemicals, found them to be cheaper on some suff than Keystone. I believe the Univ. of Kentucky also has a publication that has quantities for small volume tank mixes. I have a copy in the garage I will check the source or sure.
I went to check out mwgsupply.com and their website isn't up :( Oh well. I had already put my order in through Keystone anyway. Good to have options though.