Olympic/Korean Giant Pear

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
Planted my first Olympic pear around 5-6 years ago. Last year it made two pears but I didn't try one.

This year that tree had a couple dozen nice pears on it... they taste GREAT! My youngest son tried one the other day and really liked it, thought it was an apple at first because of the shape.
My wife was looking for pumpkins in the tall grass the other day and started tasting different pears that were in the orchard...she went crazy over the Olympic, told me we have to bring the ladder out to pick the rest. She dropped a few off at my daughters and she too loved them. So the wildlife won't be getting any of these for a couple more years! I have two more planted, one in the same orchard that is second leaf and one over at the other farm that is maybe fourth leaf. Will be planting a couple in the new orchard also.
This spring I planted two other Asian pears a Hosui and a Shinko in the new orchard...hope they are as good as the Olympic. Mine this year weren't the softball size that I see in pics figured it is from dryer summer and younger tree.

So Keiffer is my second favorite eating pear now...Olympic/Korean Giant is my #1... I highly recommend trying it if you have room.

Nice to hear, I field grafted an Olympic this spring and also planted a Shinko.

We have an Olympic and Yoinashi producing and I agree, they are excellent.

I was planning on planting a Korean Giant next spring but Blue Hills was out of stock. I'll try to get one from someone else. I have a Shinseiki asian pear in the yard and it's awesome. This year was a weird weather year so the seemed kind of small, but they are delicious.

I got an Korean Giant coming from Blue Hills the other day with an Ayer pear and some crabapples. What is everyone using for a pollinator? I have some European pears, but this will be my first Asian. Thanks!

I got an Korean Giant coming from Blue Hills the other day with an Ayer pear and some crabapples. What is everyone using for a pollinator? I have some European pears, but this will be my first Asian. Thanks!
Europeans will pollinate Asians fine....Moonglow is an excellent pollinator for most pears and it is a good wildlife DR pear.

Reactions: J B
I put 2 Olympics in the ground this spring and grafted a few rootstock to it. Hopefully I'll get those planted next spring. We don't really eat pears but my wife has been talking about trying ours once they start producing so glad to hear they're good!

I've got 3 in the ground planted in 2019. It'll be probably a year or 3 before mine produces. I got my first Becton pears and it was good. The skin a bit gritty but flesh was tasty and a bit juicy. I grabbed the only apple hanging today in Arkansas Black. Something beat me to Liberty last month.

If you like Korean Giant, you would love Drippin Honey. I have over 30 trees between the two.

Several years ago, I was asked by a grower what commercial tree wildlife guys could really benefit from. I answered Olympic/Korean Giant. As is evidenced by the guys in this thread who subsequently bought them and love them, that was correct.

E874C1DA-75F8-4420-9A89-D0C4BD4D4D8F.jpeg