Fruit tree mistakes you made ?

#1 - not starting sooner (trees take time)
#2 - using big box store trees (not knowing the root stock is a bad thing)
#3 - cutting corners on protection (I lost some to the brush mower - deer will also reach over short cages and stunt your trees I use 5' tall cages now)
#4 - using mulch and not gravel on my weed barrier (voles will burrow under mulch and chew off your support roots and kill your tree)
#5 - not labeling them (you think you will remember - you wont)
#6 - not monitoring and shaping the tree properly early (I have one "monster" that is a disaster as far as form is concerned)

#1 - not starting sooner (trees take time)
#2 - using big box store trees (not knowing the root stock is a bad thing)
#3 - cutting corners on protection (I lost some to the brush mower - deer will also reach over short cages and stunt your trees I use 5' tall cages now)
#4 - using mulch and not gravel on my weed barrier (voles will burrow under mulch and chew off your support roots and kill your tree)
#5 - not labeling them (you think you will remember - you wont)
#6 - not monitoring and shaping the tree properly early (I have one "monster" that is a disaster as far as form is concerned)
#5 is a huge one for me. Some spots I just have no idea anymore. More recently I've started drawing diagrams for each group of trees.

I know what less then half of mine are, sucks, but all that really matters if I remember if I like to eat them or not. The deer dont care what they are called.

I know what less then half of mine are, sucks, but all that really matters if I remember if I like to eat them or not. The deer dont care what they are called.
I know the deer dont care but I do care about which trees are thriving and producing vs those that aren't for future tree orders......Cause there will be orders ;)

You can get brass tags the trappers use. Also, you can carve the name in a chunk of trex decking. That'll last longer than you.

I keep a chart of what I plant. Root stock, year planted, nursery purchased from, notes on actual bloom dates, etc. They are color coded based on "batches", etc. I've had to look up stuff that I thought i would never forget the year after planting them.
Screenshot_20230120_215444_Docs.jpg

Here is what I use to label ... when i remember ...

I write tree name, supplier, root stock (if known), and year planted.

I think I’ve made all these mistakes listed and more lol!! Goood thread of reminders!!

I made a 3-ring binder/notebook of our apple, crab, and pear trees at camp. I drew a diagram of our main orchard, with each variety listed in the rows they're planted in. I did the same for our outlying, scattered trees. I also made a separate list each year of any new additions that were planted, with variety totals for the property, as well as the rootstocks they're on. I made aluminum tags from flashing leftovers, and engraved the variety, rootstock, and year planted on the tags for each tree. If anything happens in the field (bear or coons chewing on tag, etc.) - I have a paper record of what trees are planted where, rootstocks, year of planting, etc. Just to cover the bases.

The last couple trees I planted .......... I didn't update my notes. Now I can't remember which locations I planted them in - without walking the property to locate them. SLACKER!! ☹️

Pushing zones has lead to most if my failure. Zone 5 doesn’t mean give it a try in zone 4 and see what happens. Second is apple borers. I still have no answer for those pricks.

You guys have way better filing systems than me! I do make copies in case I loose the originals.

02F796E7-CA9D-469B-8FFE-7D3962C8AF84.jpeg

I guess this may be a future mistake I need to correct now!

Here is what I use to label ... when i remember ...

I write tree name, supplier, root stock (if known), and year planted.

Do those tags hold the color awhile and then you have an imprint in the alum? How long do they hold color, what ink?

I've cut tags from alum cans that hold an imprint but, don't take or hold color.

I probably won't use tree tubes ever again.It just seems to promote weak, spindly trees. Tubes worked ok for swamp white oaks, but I think I'd be just as good without. The Dolgo apple trees turned tall and weak and ended up rubbing on the wire cages when the wind blows.

Do those tags hold the color awhile and then you have an imprint in the alum? How long do they hold color, what ink?

I've cut tags from alum cans that hold an imprint but, don't take or hold color.

They don't hold color as far as I know. You write on them with a ballpoint pen and it creates an impression. I have some out since 2018 which still look good and legible. They work well.

They don't hold color as far as I know. You write on them with a ballpoint pen and it creates an impression. I have some out since 2018 which still look good and legible. They work well.
I use a golf tee. Maybe a sharpened piece of hardwood dowel might be best. Hmmm?

When you write on them with some thing hard, like that golf tee or an orange stick, put it on something kinda soft behind it, like cardboard or a towel ontop of a hard surface.

I use those tags often for work, ID'ing valves and spare poarts in a power plant.