Frost seeding rate

H80Hunter

5 year old buck +
Ive got a couple small food plots that were planted in the LC Rye mix last fall. Was a Great success in the fall, so I'm expecting it to rebound well in the spring. That said, for the clover portion, I mixed medium red and ladino. What would you overseed this spring and how much?

My plan for the plot is to let the Rye and clover grow until August and make the decision to either let the clover ride for the fall, or nuke and replant LC Rye mix again based on the success we had last year. I'm thinking I should overseed a white clover if I'm open to letting it stand.

Thoughts? Again, I'm also curious what rate you'd use of whatever clover.

If you planted the rates Paul recommended
It should turn to a clover stand by just mowing it.

I'd let the grains do their thing then mow in early summer and see what you have.

I have been frost seeding 1lb medium red and 1 lb Ladino on a 1/4 acre plot for 4 years and it turns out a nice product every year. The plot is always split nicely in 0/1/2/3 yr old clover so I don't have to start over. Turkeys and does love it in April as it greens up.

Some mixes advertised as "overseed" will have berseem in them as well.

Fyi this is seeding heavy by the books but for $6 bucks I can overseed in March and forget about it. Mow once in July and move on to something else.

Like Bill said if you followed Paul's rates you should have a good stand of clover, that said you could add a couple lbs of seed just for piece of mind and it won;t cost you that much.

Yeah like others have said, your probably fine as is, put a couple lbs down for insurance for needed. As a rule, I generally double my seed rate when frost seeding because of all the variables. It generally turns out well.

Can you frost seed too early? I'm gonna be at our land next weekend (March 4-5 in western WI). Would be nice to spread the white clover seed and then forget about having to get back for sure by late March if I decide to do it then. I'm leaning towards just doing it as long as it's not for sure doomed. As I said, I planted the LC Rye mix so I should have a good stand if clover without doing anything.

I think u will be fine. I've heard of people "frost seeding" on top of snow with success.

Can you frost seed too early? I'm gonna be at our land next weekend (March 4-5 in western WI). Would be nice to spread the white clover seed and then forget about having to get back for sure by late March if I decide to do it then. I'm leaning towards just doing it as long as it's not for sure doomed. As I said, I planted the LC Rye mix so I should have a good stand if clover without doing anything.

Not really. I like doing when there is still some snow on the ground. You can see your seeding rate/foot trails and the seed gets sucked down as the snow melts.

I just got back from doing some frost seeding.