All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frost seeding clover

Big G-2

5 year old buck +
Hey guys, just thinking ahead to next spring.

I have a food plot this year that has clover, along with a few annuals mixed in. So next spring I was thinking of just going all clover with the plot, so I thought I would frost seed clover onto it. My question is, does anybody try cultipack that seed in, like say in the afternoon, when there is a little thaw there, or is the ground still way too hard to do any good? I thought maybe a guy would get a little better seed to soil contact? I don't know much about food plots, rookie question here.

If you frost right after the snow is almost 1st gone, the seed will actually be sucked into soil contact as the soil experiences spring thawing, refreezing, and additional snow/rain falls.

I have never tried that but would think that the field would have to be just right otherwise a little too thawed and its tire ruts all over, a little too frozen and you are wasting time and fuel. I have had great luck frost seeding clover by letting the freeze/thaw cycles push the seeds in. I wouldn't worry about trying to get more seed to soil contact. Here is a pic of clover and chicory I frost seeded into WR. image.png

Unless your plot is super thick right now, I would strongly consider putting your clover seed down in the next week or two. Then you don't have to worry about timing a frost seed just right and the clover will be up and running next spring.

Unless your plot is super thick right now, I would strongly consider putting your clover seed down in the next week or two. Then you don't have to worry about timing a frost seed just right and the clover will be up and running next spring.

No, it's not super thick, just so so...... I was wondering about that, throwing some on this year yet. Would it actually germinate this year yet, without cultipacking it, and not freeze thaw to help seed to soil contact? It will germinate just sitting on top of the ground? Or do you mean, it will sit dormant until the freeze thaw next spring?

Many of us including myself have been highly successful establishing clover by seeding it around labor day with rye. It won't do much this fall but it will become a lush clover plot next summer. Even works on my sand with no cultipacking or tilling.

I have 2 plots of perennial white clover. One was started in Nov and the other a frost seed in March. They are side by side because I could only clear half at a time working by hand. Fall seeding was hands down much better. The jump it gets on the weeds in the spring makes it worth waiting until fall to plant for me.

I have 2 plots of perennial white clover. One was started in Nov and the other a frost seed in March. They are side by side because I could only clear half at a time working by hand. Fall seeding was hands down much better. The jump it gets on the weeds in the spring makes it worth waiting until fall to plant for me.
Got it! Thanks guys, all great stuff! But when you say Fall seeding, are you just broadcasting on top of the ground, and that's it? Would you put some fertilizer on also?

I limed well before but did not fertilize. I drag, pack, broadcast and repack.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you're doing a nurse crop like wheat or other cereal grain then I broadcast large seed first, pack, spread clover, then repack

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So, another rookie question here, but if I pack after seeding, that won't kill the existing clover that's in the plot now, right? I assume it's tougher than that.

So, another rookie question here, but if I pack after seeding, that won't kill the existing clover that's in the plot now, right? I assume it's tougher than that.
In your case I would just broadcast your seed and walk away. Why stress the existing growth right before the season opens and the growing season ends. Spreading some fertilizer with the seed probably wouldn't hurt but may be a waste of time and money.

In your case I would just broadcast your seed and walk away. Why stress the existing growth right before the season opens and the growing season ends. Spreading some fertilizer with the seed probably wouldn't hurt but may be a waste of time and money.
Got it, thanks again....
Not sure if there is any way to know this, but what % of germination do you think a guy gets, doing this method? I mean, I'm ok if it's not that great, just curious is all.... I'm only doing a little less than a half acre, so the expense is non existent for me.

IME it's been very good. Just don't judge it by what it does or doesn't do this year, wait until next spring/summer. I've used the typical recommended rates for broadcasting clover and it comes in plenty thick.

Got it!

Would you need to time this overseeding in the fall with a rain?

Would you need to time this overseeding in the fall with a rain?
Nope. The chances of the clover sprouting and drying out this time of year would be slim to none, especially when seeding into a standing plot that provides some protection/shelter.