From Pasture To Bedding Cover?

Not from that area but a big issue to keep in mind is not being able to properly manage whatever you do because of a type of habitat mixed in.Such as NWSG with shrubs now you can't burn etc.I am sure there are shrubs native to your area.I have found that deer in my area bed in the NWSG as a last resort unless it is in an area of shrubs or some trees in the NWSG

I like the idea of a prairie with a few types of grasses ; switch grass, little blue stem, big blue stem and indian grass and some specific forbs that would provide food for the deer. Leave a fire lane around the outside of the prairie for burning and plant that with clover. A fire break does not always have to be disked earth, green space works also. The only drawback is that you will have to find a crew that will do the controlled burns on a 4-5 year interval. There may not be any in your area.
I am a prairie enthusiast so that is what I recommend prairie plantings. It is a long term commitment and takes time to get established. I did this exact thing to a 12 acre piece on my land 23 years ago. I am lucky in that I use the UW-Stevens Point fire crew to do my controlled burns. It is a group of college students who volunteer for this after school club. They assist the DNR on wild fire calls and do controlled burns throughout the state. Stevens Point is only 25 miles from my land. Their rates are reasonable, averaging about $200 per burn for the six burns they have done on my prairie.

My biggest problem with most of the other native grasses is that they are prohibitively expensive initially In comparison to switchgrass alone, and require specialized drills. I will definitely be doing all this on a shoestring budget, at least for the first several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest problem with most of the other native grasses is that they are prohibitively expensive initially In comparison to switchgrass alone, and require specialized drills. I will definitely be doing all this on a shoestring budget, at least for the first several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having success with collecting local seed from switchgrasses. Transplanting grasses also works for quickly established plants. It's work/effort but with good spacing provides some cover and is cost effective.

My favorite areas to hunt / bedding areas over the years has been mixtures of CRP grass and sporadic clumps (not rows) of 3-4 pines/spruce trees. Deer love the combo and feel safe to move around mid day in that stuff. Hunt from tripod, elevated box stand or tuck a ground blind in a clump of trees. It makes a nice bedding area where it is still possible to spot deer from a raised position

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk