food plot too big?

gwm

5 year old buck +
I'm having some excavating work done and wanted them to make a small, in the woods, food plot a little bigger. This area was select cut in 2015 and I put in this food plot in 2016. The food plot was never much to look at but we saw a fair amount of deer using it. It was probably more to do with it being the path of least resistance than the food because of how thick everything was around it. I just wanted it a little bit bigger. The guy doing the work on the food plot went overboard, removed some trees and made the plot significantly larger than I wanted. The plot was a touch bigger than the pics below show but now is probably close to 1/2 acre in size.

This plot is also about 100 yards away from where we're putting up a shed in the spring. You won't be able to see much of the plot from the shed, or the shed from the plot, when all the foliage is up but probably can see some of it when the leaves start to fall.

What's done is done so now I have to figure out what to do going forward. Use the whole plot as food? Plant just the size I originally wanted and let the vegetation come up around it like before? Use the whole plot but with some screening around the perimeter. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow or this weekend to show the way it looks now.

10090057.jpg

06210125.JPG

12120239.JPG

Half an acre doesn’t seem too big to me. I have a couple plots I expanded last year that are a third of an acre . A little more or less either way wouldn’t make too much difference expect for maybe effecting bow range. If it’s a harvest plot maybe smaller is better but having the extra food couldn’t hurt.

You’ll have to think more about stand placement for bow season. Other than that, a plot that size will be nice. It’s big enough to support multiple doe groups to use it at the same time. Sun light shouldn’t be an issue, so you might be able to grow more variety. I honestly wouldn’t sweat it.

What these guys said.

1/2 acre is a great size for a food plot in the woods. I would definitely do some screening between it and the shed, but I certainly don't think that is too big. I can see any smaller than that being cleaned out pretty quickly with even moderate deer density.

Half acre in the woods isn't nothing. Deer feel very secure, when surrounded by woods, and will use that plot during daylight and at night. I would check the sun getting to the plot and plant something that will produce long term. Clover (which you have) or a mix of grains and or brassicas would be options. Don't plant soybeans because the deer will destroy them as soon as they come up and corn won't feed very long on small acreage in wooded acres. Don't sweat the shed either. The shed won't deter the deer, it will be the traffic and noise at the shed that will make them jittery. By the way, good looking, very healthy deer and Great looking buck. Good Luck

Personally, I think he did you a favor. 1/2 acres isn't to big.

Screen the shed with pines or miscanthus grass. If you want to hunt it and shooting across the plot is to far just run a fence or put up some cattle panels to steer them where you want them. 90% of the time deer will walk around a short section of fence rather then jumping it. Just be sure to run it into the woods far enough that it's easier to go around the end you want them on.

Some guys don't like fence because it's not natural looking. If so cut a tree so it falls where you need it or plant something that they will walk around.

The guy did you a favor - plant the entire plot or plant just what you want and mother nature will fill in the rest with other tasty deer foods. A visual screen to/from the shed is fine IF it is needed. More open area should mean more light and a more productive plot. You may have to change your hunting position a bit or manipulate the deer traffic some but those should be fairly easy to do. You could even use the "extra" room for planting more desirable trees or shrubs as well.

I really liked that little food plot. It had very good cover, easy entry and exit and the deer used it.

I'm probably going to have some type of screening. I'm just not sure exactly what right now.

Perfect opportunity to plant some fruit trees around the perimeter.

I have 8 acres in the timber. There are all kinds of great ways of using whatever size you have.

Here are some pics I took today:

You can see the treestand in the lone tree on the left of this pic. In this pic the deer in the pics above would be about 22 yards to the right of stand. SmartSelectImage_2017-12-15-19-01-19.png

This is at the other end of the plot looking back towards the stand. I didn't realize it last night but we're about 15-20 yards from the property line in this spot.

SmartSelectImage_2017-12-15-22-05-50.png

Standing where the shed will be looking towards the plot.

SmartSelectImage_2017-12-15-22-04-17.png

I still like it. I would hinge cut everything to the property line. Low cuts so it's not easy for a deer to go there.

A google aerial pic might help.

Just take all the longitude and latitude numbers off it.

He sure did open you up. I'd be pretty tempted to use some of that clean ground to plant 3 rows of pine/spruce to eventually permanently screen the plot from the neighbors property. Should work as long as it's not on the north side of the tree line.

Gwm: make sure early spring you get all the leaves out of the plot. I have the same kind of plot in the woods and when I turned it into a clover plot, it was very important early Spring to blow the leaves out of it or it will suffocate the clover from germinating. Not sure of your plans but it’s good to get the leaves out early Spring.

I am always looking for ways to make my food plots a little larger. 1/2 acre in the woods is not too big of a plot. I had RR Eagle forage beans in some of my smaller plots in wooded areas and they just got hammered from the time they were planted until the hard frost killed them.

The size you want really depends on your objectives. If you want the plot smaller and the dozer guy went overboard, you can use it to your advantage. In general, you don't want hard edges. Instead, you want to feather the edges. You can either just let them grow up naturally with brush or plant shrub trees of varying maximum height. You can also use some with attraction value like fruit trees. You won't get the production of full sun, but if you are selective of what your plant and where along the field you plant it, it can work in your favor.

Thanks,

Jack

My suggestion is use the whole thing for a plot for 2 years before you make a final decision. I don't think it will be too big. What I'm finding is that plots close to heavy cover and bedding get hit 3 times as hard as plots in more open spots. If you change your mind, all you have lost is a little time.