All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food Plot Ideas that won't get scorched

roymunson

5 year old buck +
I need something with tonnage. We're hunt 250 acres of mostly wooded land, but probably have 20 acres of food we plant or keep up for deer. We have some crops around us, but not too many. The problem is we have anti hunting neighbors to the north (70 acres), 360 acres to the east where a family dispute keeps people from hunting, 120 acres to the south where an out of town gal won't let anyone on, so we are kind of the only game in town. It's a blessing in that we can draw deer from those properties, but it's a curse in that everything we plant is mowed to a stub. Chicory, oats, sorgum (was pounded and done before the season opened), heck the brassicas didn't even get a chance to get to bulb because they got eaten flat.

As soon as the beans turn, we get hammered and can't keep enough food to get us thru the rut, much less late season.

We had some corn planted, and by the first of september, there wan't an ear to be found.

We killed 25 deer off the property last year and hope to do the same this year, but we're swimming in mouths to feed. Any bright ideas on what to put in that'll keep em fed and keep em coming?

Have you tried any alfalfa? There are a couple of graze tolerant varieties that might be what you're looking for. Look for AmeriStand 201T.

More corn.

Also, there was a video posted recently about a food plot with sunhemp and other stuff that got like 9 feet tall. That would give you tonnage.

Last edited:
My problem exactly, with one difference: Most of my neighbors hunt. They just don't do much, if any, management. So when they show me the big buck they just shot, I can't help but think that I helped them! I'm going with heavy oats and clover for the fall and planted ALL my plots in this. They seem to not hammer my clover. This spring I will have some nice biomass when the clover thrives, I will delay planting summer crops from mid April to June. AND I am going to overseed 3X. Hopefully between the early cover the clover/oat thatch cover, along with the extra groceries, I'll get enough growth to mature and keep up with the grazing. Seeding almost bare ground at the recommended rate was not successful. Also, there will be even more browse available on the unplanted areas. Gonna plant in the pines next year as well.

I planted in the pines once and will not do it again.

You better prepare first and that means lime,.. lots of it,.. many months before you plant.

Not feasible to fence off 15-20 acres of field all summer in 5 different pieces.

Also, as soon as we open it up, they'll just hammer it.

Sun hemp may be somethign worth trying. Truthfully, we're gonna supplementally feed them either way, and as upsetting as it is to my labor efforts, nothing I plant will trump corn on the ground. It's legal here, and even this time of year, they'll walk thru oats and clover to get to this stuff.

I guess it's better than them not using it.

I like the fence idea. Double galleger e fence might be the ticket. But honestly with that many deer they may figure a way over/through it. Start small and experiment.

Roymunson, help me understand your concern. Are the 25 deer you harvested all does you want to attract more bucks? Are you looking for late season food plots that will last and continue to draw deer through Nov. and December? Or are you just concerned from an ecological point of view that the local deer pop. is over carrying capacity? 25 deer in the freezer sounds like a nice problem to have.

Roymunson, help me understand your concern. Are the 25 deer you harvested all does you want to attract more bucks? Are you looking for late season food plots that will last and continue to draw deer through Nov. and December? Or are you just concerned from an ecological point of view that the local deer pop. is over carrying capacity? 25 deer in the freezer sounds like a nice problem to have.

We obviously aggressively kill does. However, in doing some rough math while watching too many does a couple weeks back, I roughly figured (on teh conservative side) that we're easily 100-120+ deer per square mile. I want to kill mature bucks is my end goal, but I really enjoy the habitat aspect as well. So while we're doing things to attract deer, at this point, we have too many to hunt mature bucks effectively. It's fun to see them, but we're well above what I feel the capacity should be. So while we try to knock back the numbers (probably a lost cause with only 4 full time hunters on the farm, and 3-6 deer per person due to county restrictions on bag limits) I'd like to also help up the carrying capacity of the land w/ food. We have the bedding and sanctuary. Just seeing if there's anything out there that will up the tonnage that I'd be able to put in the deer that are on our place.

It's frustrating in the same way that having a smoking hot girlfriend is frustrating. You'd like to not have everyone stare at her, but, to be honest, you'd rather have her than the alternative. There, that's my terrible analogy of the day.

I also realize that if the wrong person got ahold of either of the pieces around our outside perimeter, tehy could drastically change how we're doing things. And for that, i'm very grateful.

Sounds like you need more browse to take the pressure off the plots. It would seem with that many deer your habitat is severely damaged. Ever considered stopping any spring or summer plots so some of the deer leave?

We obviously aggressively kill does. However, in doing some rough math while watching too many does a couple weeks back, I roughly figured (on teh conservative side) that we're easily 100-120+ deer per square mile.

I'll go with it - accept your observation and math at face value. Let's go a little more rough math. How much does a deer eat, on average, in a day? Typically, a mammal like a deer needs to consume 2% to 3% of its body weight in dry matter a day. A rutting or rut recovering buck needs 2x to 3x that amount. Perhaps the same for a lactating doe. Rough math.

Let's go with your estimate of 100-125 deer per square mile - and that your plots attract deer from a one square mile area (assume a mental fence). Further, the only thing these deer eat is what you plant. In total how much do you need to supply given the assumptions above?

Well, 125 deer need 4 lbs a day for 365 days = 91.25 tons. And you have, what, 30 acres? Making three tons of dry matter is an easy proposition - on the farm. Unfortunately, it might only come in 3 months, or less.

How's your soil fertility and productivity? Is it possible to boost production on the same acres? That helps, but you still have the problem of production throughout the year. How does one produce the necessary requirements (and I don't believe for one second you will do it all with crop production) on a fairly consistent basis month after month? The answer is, in northeast Ohio, it's not possible.

Not feasible to fence off 15-20 acres of field all summer in 5 different pieces.

Also, as soon as we open it up, they'll just hammer it.

Sun hemp may be somethign worth trying. Truthfully, we're gonna supplementally feed them either way, and as upsetting as it is to my labor efforts, nothing I plant will trump corn on the ground. It's legal here, and even this time of year, they'll walk thru oats and clover to get to this stuff.

I guess it's better than them not using it.

I don't fence. I don't have that much energy or enthusiasm. But.......I wonder if fencing a small section, and I don't know what I mean by that, would spread some of the wealth over a longer time frame - kinda like rotational grazing cattle?

Sounds like you need more browse to take the pressure off the plots. It would seem with that many deer your habitat is severely damaged. Ever considered stopping any spring or summer plots so some of the deer leave?
We see the majority of our deer coming in once the fall plots are planted. We don't have a ton of summer stuff other than a couple of clover plots, etc

As for browse, we hinge cut and whacked just about anything without upcoming timber value in a 50 acre "sanctuary" still have some work to do on that, but we're creating good bedding habitat too.

I'm not complaining too bad. What we have is an issue I can live with, just asking if maybe I'm missing something obvious that'd help mitigate some of this.

Since we've started managing the place in 2013 we have healthier deer, higher holding capacity, and simple things like our first year racks are generally bigger than before (not totally scientific, but just anecdotal observations)

I consider myself very blessed to be hunting here, and maybe i'm complaining about Utopia. If so, i'll shut up, but if we've got the deer and capabilities, I want to help it do all it can do.

What about wheat? As long as you have some warmish temps in the winter it will continue to grow even when grazed hard. It won't do you much good in the summer but it should during the rut.

We see the majority of our deer coming in once the fall plots are planted. We don't have a ton of summer stuff other than a couple of clover plots, etc

As for browse, we hinge cut and whacked just about anything without upcoming timber value in a 50 acre "sanctuary" still have some work to do on that, but we're creating good bedding habitat too.

I'm not complaining too bad. What we have is an issue I can live with, just asking if maybe I'm missing something obvious that'd help mitigate some of this.

Since we've started managing the place in 2013 we have healthier deer, higher holding capacity, and simple things like our first year racks are generally bigger than before (not totally scientific, but just anecdotal observations)

I consider myself very blessed to be hunting here, and maybe i'm complaining about Utopia. If so, i'll shut up, but if we've got the deer and capabilities, I want to help it do all it can do.

Just brainstorming here...Mail me 100 or so of your deer, please. Does are fine. I'm not picky. 200 is fine if you get bulk shipping discounts.

Ill give you my two cents. Stop planting plots and doing habitat work that is going to increase your current insane DPSM.

In your situation I would put as big of a corn pile out as you can afford. With this being said I would do it right before your latest firearm season and invite as many people as you know over for a doe only hunt. Even with this strategy you are going to have to do it for at least 3 years before you even start to notice your efforts.

We obviously aggressively kill does. However, in doing some rough math while watching too many does a couple weeks back, I roughly figured (on teh conservative side) that we're easily 100-120+ deer per square mile. I want to kill mature bucks is my end goal, but I really enjoy the habitat aspect as well. So while we're doing things to attract deer, at this point, we have too many to hunt mature bucks effectively. It's fun to see them, but we're well above what I feel the capacity should be. So while we try to knock back the numbers (probably a lost cause with only 4 full time hunters on the farm, and 3-6 deer per person due to county restrictions on bag limits) I'd like to also help up the carrying capacity of the land w/ food. We have the bedding and sanctuary. Just seeing if there's anything out there that will up the tonnage that I'd be able to put in the deer that are on our place.

It's frustrating in the same way that having a smoking hot girlfriend is frustrating. You'd like to not have everyone stare at her, but, to be honest, you'd rather have her than the alternative. There, that's my terrible analogy of the day.

Ok, I've just read through this thread. I'm not sure I can understand why you are planting food plots at all. If your objective is to kill mature bucks, you are competing in the wrong arena. With very high deer densities, you are going to be attracting a lot of does and young bucks when you plant attractive food. Will all those does attract mature bucks? Well perhaps for a short period during the rut, but keep in mind that does are usually not a limited resource for bucks in high deer density area. Mature bucks will find their fill of hot does without having to get to the highest concentration areas.

My thought is to compete on security, not food. Your land is way to small to hold mature bucks, especially during the rut. I would consider letting all your fields grow up until they get almost too large for your equipment, and they go in and bushhog a few acres a year flat.

This all presumes your objective really is as stated, shooting mature bucks. I've got different objectives. I'm trying to balance, having an occasional opportunity to shoot a mature buck with introducing new hunters to the sport along with improving heard health, and I'm really on the light side as far as acreage goes even with cooperating (intentionally or not) adjoining properties. We have similar acreage in food plots to you but more total acreage. In recent years, as some of our timber management practices have increased the BCC and I've begun to "rest" some of the food plots. Basically, I'll start with WR & perennial clover and then just let the field go for years. I stop maintaining it and just let nature take its course. They become quite grown up and very weedy. There is a combination of some clover along with a lot of native weeds that are quality food. When they begin to get woody growth , I bushhog and rotate them back into a traditional food plot and rotate another field.

I'm beginning to notice something. Our target for bucks is 3 1/2 and older except for our novice hunters who can shoot anything. So, we have lots of 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old bucks running around. I have some stands that can overlook several of my small fields. I'm noticing that during shooting hours the does and 1 1/2 year old bucks seem to prefer those planted fields that have lots of planted food (WR, brassica, clovers, ... or whatever). I'm also noticing that during shooting hours 2 1/2 year old bucks prefer the grown up weed fields.

Why?

I think that does, regardless of age, are tied to the family structure. Fawns and teenagers have accelerated growth and want to be in those open fields where food is everywhere and even mature does will stay with them. I often notice fawns enter the field first and feed for quite a while before mature does enter the field. They function as the canary in the mine for the does. Does will come out when it is a little later closer to dark. By the time a buck has reached 2 1/2, it's growth demands are lessened, and its preference for security is greater. A field full of weeds and diversity will have plenty in it to eat, but it also has more cover than a green field of crops.

To my way of thinking:

Food Plots = See more deer.
Cover & Sanctuary = Shoot more mature bucks.

In low deer density area, one may need food plots to attract the limited number of does in the general area which, in turn, attracts bucks, at least during the rut. In high deer density areas, things are different.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Coming from the Northeast big woods tradition of deer hunting, the idea that you've got 100 to 120 DPSM and can harvest 25 deer in a season is just absurdly foreign to me. We go about 7 to 9 DPSM, and I could hunt for 3 or 4 years and not even SEE 25 different deer. I enjoy learning about farms like yours and getting a different perspective on unique management problems that I simply have no experience with. It does sound like you have a classic and often written about doe factory.