Food Plot attempt

Bszweda

5 year old buck +
I picked up a club cadet filed trimmer this weekend as the scythe just wasn't cutting it. I think for 300 dollars you can't go wrong if your looking for something to cut a fallow field and don't want to spend alot of moneyIMG_0356.JPG IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0360.JPG . I sprayed the field and spread 50 pounds of winter rye. Hopefully I get rain and something grows.

It WILL grow. Rye is the most dependable food plot seed there is.

Yep, cereal rye is a beast. I bet it'll do just fine.

I'm looking at that style of trimmer for keeping trails open and a small fall plot. How did it work on really tall, thick weeds. I get alot off rasberry, golden rod, rag weed and canary grass? All of it grows from 4 to 6 feet tall.

ATP...It did a great job (my weeds were probably 3-4 feet in height) I did choke it out a few times. It's definitely not made for saplings as you'll tear up your trimmer wire.So depending on your trails and how many saplings are in the way you might be going through a bunch of wire.

The 60% chance of rain today and tomorrow in northern Missouri didn't happen =( If I don't get rain for a few weeks will I need to re seed? I was thinking about doing another seeding in September.

The 60% chance of rain today and tomorrow in northern Missouri didn't happen =( If I don't get rain for a few weeks will I need to re seed? I was thinking about doing another seeding in September.

Doubtful. I've had rye sitting on the ground for weeks and still come up. You should be good if the turkeys don't live there and eat it all.

When are we going to catch a break and get some moisture?

I feel your pain.. Severe drought here :emoji_frowning2:

As Bill said, as long as your rye seeds don't get eaten, they should be just fine!

Thank God! Phone said it was raining in MO. I'm a skeptic so triggered a camera. Darn if it isn't actually raining and it looks like it's pretty wet on the ground.......

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Pennies from heaven.