Foliar Fertilizers

What was the result on the soil?
Honestly my results aren't scientific or data driven. I observed straw organic matter decomposing at the same rate as the neighboring plots, and worm casings being expelled at the same rate as before (and at the same rate as neighboring plots). So observations of a few indicators suggest the fert application did not hurt soil health. No concrete proof of that, but I have a little more info bouncing around in my head than before.

I will rephrase my question?

Can foliar fertilizers with fu-fu dust give a boost in sugar content if applied within two weeks of harvest or of a specific hunting period?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good question Sandbur!
Here's a study that showed Brix levels can be increased significantly through foliar application of the correct nutrients in apples and pears. I believe it said foliars were applied monthly, which is not specific to your question of 2 weeks before hand.

From an article explaining foliar and how it can help the soil, vegative growth, and reproductive set. Nothing said about a short time frame in this one either. Both sources advocate a season long program. But both claim increased sugar yeilds due to foliars measured through Brix readings. When I did my experiment this spring it was in an effort to increase root exudates without applying synthetic fertilizers to the soil. This exert mentions that briefly.

"When a foliar program is properly applied the mineral density within the plant is increased, as are the carbohydrates or plant sugars. This increase of plant sugars and minerals are sent to the roots of the plants, some of which are excreted out of the roots as plant exudates. This increase of plant root exudates, caused by the foliar spray, creates a ready food supply for the bacteria that live symbiotically on the plant roots. Bacteria respond to this increased food supply by making more nutrients in the soil available to the plant. These minerals are picked up by the roots and sent to the aerial part of the plant. This process explains how a foliar spray can increase brix readings.

In addition to increasing nutrient density, a foliar spray is a command to a plant’s physiology. A foliar spray can either push a plant toward vegetative production i.e. growth of leaves, stems, and stalk or it can push a plant toward reproduction i.e. promotion of blossoms, flowers, and fruit set.

Systematic foliar spraying will exhibit a cumulative affect of increasing yield along with mineral density and plant sugars. In the High Brix Garden program we emphasize a weekly foliar spray of either BrixBlaster or Qualify! beginning one month after transplanting or emergence. BrixBlaster is used for crops making reproductive growth such as tomatoes, peppers, and sweet corn. Qualify! is used on crops making vegetative growth such as lettuce, kale, and spinach. It can also be used on early growth of crops that will later need BrixBlaster"

I would say no you won't be able to increase sugar content noticeably with anything you would spray on the fruit in a 2 week window. Sugar content is the largely based on the conversion of carbohydrates to sugar within the fruit. Generally speaking more sunshine, decrease in available moisture and allowing fruit to mature longer increases sugar content. Obviously, genetics of the plant material also comes into play in terms of how well that process occurs as well.

That's a good question Sandbur!
Here's a study that showed Brix levels can be increased significantly through foliar application of the correct nutrients in apples and pears. I believe it said foliars were applied monthly, which is not specific to your question of 2 weeks before hand.

From an article explaining foliar and how it can help the soil, vegative growth, and reproductive set. Nothing said about a short time frame in this one either. Both sources advocate a season long program. But both claim increased sugar yeilds due to foliars measured through Brix readings. When I did my experiment this spring it was in an effort to increase root exudates without applying synthetic fertilizers to the soil. This exert mentions that briefly.

"When a foliar program is properly applied the mineral density within the plant is increased, as are the carbohydrates or plant sugars. This increase of plant sugars and minerals are sent to the roots of the plants, some of which are excreted out of the roots as plant exudates. This increase of plant root exudates, caused by the foliar spray, creates a ready food supply for the bacteria that live symbiotically on the plant roots. Bacteria respond to this increased food supply by making more nutrients in the soil available to the plant. These minerals are picked up by the roots and sent to the aerial part of the plant. This process explains how a foliar spray can increase brix readings.

In addition to increasing nutrient density, a foliar spray is a command to a plant’s physiology. A foliar spray can either push a plant toward vegetative production i.e. growth of leaves, stems, and stalk or it can push a plant toward reproduction i.e. promotion of blossoms, flowers, and fruit set.

Systematic foliar spraying will exhibit a cumulative affect of increasing yield along with mineral density and plant sugars. In the High Brix Garden program we emphasize a weekly foliar spray of either BrixBlaster or Qualify! beginning one month after transplanting or emergence. BrixBlaster is used for crops making reproductive growth such as tomatoes, peppers, and sweet corn. Qualify! is used on crops making vegetative growth such as lettuce, kale, and spinach. It can also be used on early growth of crops that will later need BrixBlaster"

That answers some of my questions. Thanks.

It is interesting about the increased mineral content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and no. I have no preconceived outcome for the math tells all. Amounts matter. Absorption of foliar applied nutrients is limited by leaf surface and the condition of the leaf. Small amounts of foliar applied micronutrients are possible, macronutrients not so much for anything but rescue or short-term green-up possibilities.

Here's a random label:
I'm not meaning to dismiss liquid fertilizers, soil or foliar applied. But, to get 40 lbs of N on an acre using this formulation would require 800 gallons (if I did my math right and assuming the liquid weight per gallon is 10 lb). For the micro's it might be doable and cost effective.
View attachment 47251
When foliar fertilizers are used a hell of a lot less actual nutrients are needed because they are being applied directly to the plants. We nee to drastically increase the amounts for granular fertilizers because they are being absorbed through the root system. I'm not sure on the math but... Just think about how much dirt there is in the "root zone" on one acre of a plot. Then you need to think about how much of that dirt the roots of the plants actually have contact with. At that point you should have a decent understanding on why the amounts of ground applied fertilizers need to be a much higher amount.