All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foggy's Deertopia Proving Grounds - Happenings

Just catching up here.
I really like the seeder attached to the bucket in front of the driver. I may be forced to finally buy a cheap harbor freight stick welder for the farm.

I've never considered a solid stand of chicory and clover.
A plot of clovers and chicory is what we've planted in past years. It seemed to do well for us. When the clovers got a bit stunted in the summer heat, the chicory was green and the deer were hitting it. I'm guessing it stayed green from that deep tap root going down for more soil moisture?? Our fields are on a ridge top in all day sun - no lowland wet areas.

I usually recommend red clover for drought resilience, but even it has had a rough time of it this year. However, my alfalfa has chugged right along.

A plot of clovers and chicory is what we've planted in past years. It seemed to do well for us. When the clovers got a bit stunted in the summer heat, the chicory was green and the deer were hitting it. I'm guessing it stayed green from that deep tap root going down for more soil moisture?? Our fields are on a ridge top in all day sun - no lowland wet areas.
So......been giving some serious thought about planting more chicory and clovers. When I did plant chicory it really did thrive in dry times and the deer hammered the chicory in fall and into the winter months....digging through snow to get at the chicory.

Thus the chicory could replace the need to terminate the clover in July and risk two months of summer drought - which comes all too often here with my sandy soils. I have seen the chicory here thrive in those same summer months.

I went away from chicory at one point......as I could not use herbicides with the chicory. However, it seems to me that there are now herbicides for use with chicory. (gotta find that thread).

Could still put this plan into action in late August when I plant my rye and more clover(s). Hmmmmmm

So......been giving some serious thought about planting more chicory and clovers. When I did plant chicory it really did thrive in dry times and the deer hammered the chicory in fall and into the winter months....digging through snow to get at the chicory.

Thus the chicory could replace the need to terminate the clover in July and risk two months of summer drought - which comes all too often here with my sandy soils. I have seen the chicory here thrive in those same summer months.

I went away from chicory at one point......as I could not use herbicides with the chicory. However, it seems to me that there are now herbicides for use with chicory. (gotta find that thread).

Could still put this plan into action in late August when I plant my rye and more clover(s). Hmmmmmm

We’re trying to solve the same problem, you and I. I’m trying to find a clover that doesn’t need chemical suppression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’re trying to solve the same problem, you and I. I’m trying to find a clover that doesn’t need chemical suppression.

I learned this year that I could do absolutely nothing in spring....just let my winter rye go into mid/late July or so. (maybe spot spray a few thistles if needed).

Then mechanically terminate it....and let that clover and chicory better take hold. Maybe clip the clover in August. (still time to plant some brassica areas if it's a wet year).

Then plant more clover, chicory and perhaps a bit of brassica with my fall Cereal Rye. Thus only one planting each year.

I think I can be implementing this plan this week. May be able to use some more Chicory......but that is about all I need. Trying to decide if I should apply cleth to some barely surviving clover / brassica due to this flipping drought.

At this point it's a crap shoot for me this year.......tho I still got a few areas that are hanging in there in some shady areas. I should not have terminated that clover in early July. Just little rain since then (or before then too).

^ This is more or less what you did this year SD. Looks like your plan worked out for the most part.

I’ve got updated pics of week three in the sweet clover plot. I’ll get those posted in a minute…

Good luck with this if you give it a go, Foggy.

Today I drilled 9 acres of seeds into my dried up plots. Put down over 1000 lbs of seed with my Great Plains 3P500. Worked very nicely and penetrated all types of soils and situations I have. Very pleased with the performance of this drill. I put out 112# of winter rye / 5 # GH Radish / #5 AW Peas in the big seed box. In the small box I had 4# of red clover, 2# white clover, 2# crimson clover, 4# chicory, 4# yellow sweet clover, 1 # turnips and 1# rape. <----- that's allot of seed into my parched sand. Good chance of rain on Tuesday......and gotta be gone before then.....so it's now or never. I still could broadcast a little seed if I am around her and it looks like rain.

I was surprised at how much clover is surviving this drought and the amount of brasica that was still alive and well in shady areas. My exclusion cages really show the effects of critters on those brassica. Fortunately I still have enough plot areas to keep the deer feeding here.
tempImageIbcm7z.jpg
I really liked my foam marker today.....and tho I could sometimes tell where I was.....the foam took all the work out of driving and let me focus on the drill operation. I know I stayed on course better in some sketchy situations. The marker also works as sort of a fuel gauge......when the marker runs out of foam....it's time to refill the seed hoppers. I was able to load 7+ bushels of seed in my big box.....and about 1 bushel in the small box. Quite a load. Not sure how well the foam shows up in the pic below. Kinda like leaving a bread crumb trail when you need it.
tempImagedK6MBr.jpg

Gotta love a food plot with a target in it😁

Gotta love a food plot with a target in it😁
Lol.....we call that large plot the "rifle range plot". I have not shot there all year. I bet I didn't fire 20 rounds there last year either....tho I got steel targets from 50 to 200 yards. Usually wont shoot after about this time each year. Not certain how much it may effect deer.......I just don't shoot much anymore.

What kind of speeds are you drilling at Foggy?

How does the tractor handle the drill with a full hopper of seed? Plenty of stability and lift?

What kind of speeds are you drilling at Foggy?

How does the tractor handle the drill with a full hopper of seed? Plenty of stability and lift?
Never a concern with the weight, stability or ability to pull it. I bet I could pull two of these and not know it's there. My ground is pretty flat.....but I think I would be fine on most reasonable terrain. I did have both hoppers full of seed and it never hesitated to lift the drill. I took my forks off so I could see a bit better and negotiate some tighter spots. I usually run the drill at 3 to 3.5 mph. I am sure I could go faster.....but no need to race.

I did try the drill in some virgin sod areas.....and was able to penetrate the ground and deposit all the seeds at about 3/4" depth I was running. Also penetrated the heavy clover and decaying rye mulch in my plots. The drill now calibrates as expected and it worked excellent. Laying down 140 lbs of seed to the acre is a little overboard (this I know) but the drill did it just fine. Now I just need rain.

I usually run the drill at 3 to 3.5 mph. I am sure I could go faster.....but no need to race.

Over time that will change too, just like getting off and checking things. I move right along with mine now. The faster I go, the faster the seed thingy spinners go.

Over time that will change too, just like getting off and checking things. I move right along with mine now. The faster I go, the faster the seed thingy spinners go.
I still got some rocks and stumps and some fairly rough ground in spots. When I get over 4 MPH.....I can feel I am at risk of some damage if I miss seeing a rock or chunk of wood. Then too....I use the mid range and my "turtle " setting in my tractor (lots of options) which will max out at about 4 MPH at full throttle. I'm happy. Going just a bit slower saves more time than having to fix stuff from driving too fast. (grin)

Love the history of your place with the homesteads and especially the plants that were established back then but are still persisting today. A true step back in time when you eat those fruits.

I always thought spreaders should be on front instead of the back. Smooth move on the mount and pulley system Foggy!

Love the history of your place with the homesteads and especially the plants that were established back then but are still persisting today. A true step back in time when you eat those fruits.

I always thought spreaders should be on front instead of the back. Smooth move on the mount and pulley system Foggy!
glad someone is paying attention. smile

Ran up to my land this morning to broadcast a little chicory, clover and rye into a couple of honey hole / blind plots. One plot in particular has beer putting out some decent brasica and the deer are feeding there daily. That half-eaten turnip is about baseball size....surprisingly. My game camera snapped a pic of me and my Herd Broadcast Spreader. This plot has some of the better soil on my land. tempImagekGsYrP.jpgeast 8 point buck.jpegoverseeding rye and chicory.jpegtempImage5FWkUs.jpgtempImagefXlwjN.jpgtempImagekGsYrP.jpgeast 8 point buck.jpegtempImage5FWkUs.jpgtempImagefXlwjN.jpg

Dang, demolishing turnips already. Hope you get some moisture today to help stuff put on tonnage!