Fleet Farm concrete wire remesh!

I just ordered 75 hybrid willow to create a screen from Bill. Could I use this mesh to create a larger fenced in area ( 300 foot in total length) vs making one for each tree? I have a lot of extra stakes. Not sure how well they will survive without fencing?

People usually use a 4"x2" fencing (4' to 5' tall) for fencing in individual trees. the 4x12 fencing is typically 14 gage and stands by itself and just needs to be staked to keep the fence from blowing over. Wire mesh (aka wire cloth) (usually 1/4 or 1/2" square) is quite flimsy.
I use 2"x2" polyethylene fence from here Deer Resistant Landscape Nursery. It costs about $1/linear foot for 8'high fence. http://www.deerxlandscape.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=8
See my video where I was installing it.

Usually people use 2"x4" 14 gauge fencing (4' or 5' tall) for fencing in individual trees. It is stiff enough to stand by itself and just needs to be staked to keep it from blowing over. wire mesh fencing (aka "wire cloth") is usually 1/4 to1/2" square being quite flimsy, would need to be staked on 4 sides.
Most young trees do not fare well in deer populated areas without fencing for protection. I'm not sure how well deer like willow, but they pretty much browse everything in my area even with food plots around.
I use 2"x2"x8' polypropylene fencing for multiple trees.

I get it from Deer Resistant Landscape Nursery in Clare, MI. http://www.deerxlandscape.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/Fencing.html

What does everyone do for those last few cages cut from the inner part of the roll that just hate to take on the circular shape. I'm always fighting with the last 30 feet or so after cutting it and trying to put around trees

I flip them over so the cage is trying to bend down and the throw a couple cinder blocks on them while I do other planting chores. Fleet site says these rolls are still on sale but my store is sold out.

Usually people use 2"x4" 14 gauge fencing (4' or 5' tall) for fencing in individual trees. It is stiff enough to stand by itself and just needs to be staked to keep it from blowing over. wire mesh fencing (aka "wire cloth") is usually 1/4 to1/2" square being quite flimsy, would need to be staked on 4 sides.
Most young trees do not fare well in deer populated areas without fencing for protection. I'm not sure how well deer like willow, but they pretty much browse everything in my area even with food plots around.
I use 2"x2"x8' polypropylene fencing for multiple trees.

I get it from Deer Resistant Landscape Nursery in Clare, MI. http://www.deerxlandscape.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/Fencing.html
What does everyone do for those last few cages cut from the inner part of the roll that just hate to take on the circular shape. I'm always fighting with the last 30 feet or so after cutting it and trying to put around trees

I stretch the fence out as much as possible on the ground and walk on it.

I do the same as Kent above!

I just ordered 75 hybrid willow to create a screen from Bill. Could I use this mesh to create a larger fenced in area ( 300 foot in total length) vs making one for each tree? I have a lot of extra stakes. Not sure how well they will survive without fencing?

I'm not Bill but I have done this in two areas so far for screens around a blind and for screen from road. The road screen is approx 4' wide and and 30 yards long. The one around the blind is 60' around the outside. I also put a 2' chicken fence on the bottom. I had no deer damage but a spot was big enough for a rabbit to fit through so a few hybrid willows got a little shorter but not killed.

It has worked very well and I am doing another screen, same width but will be close to 450' around the outside. I have a high deer density and deer will eat the willows to death if they aren't protected. I will take the fence down after 3 years as they will have outgrown the varmits and deer.

I have used tree tubes but with limited success for the willows as mice have consistently nested in bottom of tube and they girdled the trees, killing them.

I wish I would have started doing this from the get go. It would have saved me time and money in the long run.

I find profanity to be helpful.......

bill

Orderex 2 more rolls last night for store pickup. Can't beat half price!

Finally got around to putting this to use. Got four apple trees planted this weekend. Thanks again for the tip!

Attachments

• appletrees.jpeg
    appletrees.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 29
Had to dig this one up from the grave….$42 rolls of 150’ Remesh not that long ago!!

I’m sad I didn’t buy 15 rolls instead of my 5. I’ve got 150+ more trees in next 2 years I’ve grafted, so will need to buy more eventually.

I realize things have changed in the past four years, but if I only knew then what I know now, I would be rich. Remesh is over $300 for a 150' roll. Crazy world we are living in now.

Had to dig this one up from the grave….$42 rolls of 150’ Remesh not that long ago!!

I’m sad I didn’t buy 15 rolls instead of my 5. I’ve got 150+ more trees in next 2 years I’ve grafted, so will need to buy more eventually.

I did snag a bunch at or around that same price - something like 9 rolls and I too wish I would have gotten 15 ... they never go as far as you think they will. I have 3 rolls left and still have a bunch of trees to transplant.