All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flashlight

gwm

5 year old buck +
I'm looking for a good quality flashlight that I can use mainly as a tracking light. I don't want to break the bank but want something that works well with a quality, bright beam.

I have a Coleman lantern and some other lights / spotting lights / headlamps but really looking for a quality flashlight.

Any recommendations?

I bought one of these last year and am very happy with it.

Guard Dog Solitaire Tactical Flashlight 900 Lumen

Reactions: gwm
https://www.amazon.com/Fenix-LD22-215-Lumen-Flashlight/dp/B00P6LXPHI

Very compact super focused and concentrated bright light does far better then a lot of light spread out, can also clip to hat easily. Its not how much light you have but how focused it is to make tracking details more obvious. Have used for some time by far my favorite.

Thanks guys!

What kind of money are you geared for?

Zebralight

What kind of money are you geared for?

I was thinking I was going to spend up to $100 for a quality flashlight. I seen some Surefire's for just over $100 and had no issues getting one of those if the price was warranted.

I'm probably going to get two of whatever I get. That way I might actually get to use one.

The Fenix ld22 that Fall Guy recommended gets some pretty nice reviews.

I always thought about getting a small handheld spotlight for tracking. Anyone ever try that?

I have a small handheld spotlight I have used for tracking and it doesn't do very well.

A couple years ago a friend of mine shot a deer and asks if I would help him track. I met up with him and another guy that is going to help. These guys are both local LEO with the one guy being the local K9 officer. We joked around about bringing the dog while waiting to take up the track.

We take up the track and they both have flashlights and I have my handheld spotlight. The spotlight was terrible compared to their flashlights and it wasn't close. The difference was night and day. I actually stopped using the spotlight and just followed along with them. I made a comment about their flashlights and I believe they said they were dept. issued. I know they said they were pretty expensive flashlights.

I have a small handheld spotlight I have used for tracking and it doesn't do very well.

A couple years ago a friend of mine shot a deer and asks if I would help him track. I met up with him and another guy that is going to help. These guys are both local LEO with the one guy being the local K9 officer. We joked around about bringing the dog while waiting to take up the track.

We take up the track and they both have flashlights and I have my handheld spotlight. The spotlight was terrible compared to their flashlights and it wasn't close. The difference was night and day. I actually stopped using the spotlight and just followed along with them. I made a comment about their flashlights and I believe they said they were dept. issued. I know they said they were pretty expensive flashlights.

You saved me $50 bucks. Thanks.

most LEO carry Streamlight I believe

I have several KLARUS brand flashlights and I like them a lot. A lot of light for a small to medium size flashlight. They can all use rechargeable batteries which is a plus in my mind.

I always thought about getting a small handheld spotlight for tracking. Anyone ever try that?

Try one of these... My local store had them for $15 I think. And they run on AA batteries.

Not going to take it on an African safari, but for $15 it is plenty bright:
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/p/interstate-batteries-lig8200-lig8200?dsNav=N~30-2147384903

-John

Helotex:

G2 Compact
https://www.amazon.com/Helotex-CREE...TF8&qid=1472161959&sr=8-3&keywords=helotex+g4

G4
https://www.amazon.com/1000-Lumen-H...TF8&qid=1472161959&sr=8-1&keywords=helotex+g4

I've had 2 G2's, bought 1 last year then left it on a job & bought a replacement. My wife carries 1 in her purse. My dad has the G2 & the G4, they are made down in Texas by a gun dealer called Gunshack. Lifetime warranty.

I dont have any personal experience with these-But several LEO's I've talked to swear by them-
https://www.amazon.com/Maglite-Mag-...d=1472162208&sr=1-1&keywords=maglite+tactical

I do have a couple 2Cell LED Mags in the truck & beside the bed, they put out alot more then the old mags.But a new "tac light" like the Helotex or others have as much if not more light in alot smaller easier to carry package.

most LEO carry Streamlight I believe
Correct. It's going to cost you some money but a Streamlight will last many many years. The stingers are a good size to pack in a bag while the strions can easily be pocket carried.

I was looking for a good quality flashlight a couple of years ago and purchased a Streamlight Strion based on the excellent reviews. It is well built and has a bright beam. It costs a little more but is made to last a long time. I don't think you can go wrong with a Streamlight. Best and brightest flashlight I have ever owned.

I just got a Fenix PD35TAC. It has great reviews. This thing is bright. Ordered it thru Amazon. Got the smart charger and extra batteries also.

I just got a Fenix PD35TAC. It has great reviews. This thing is bright. Ordered it thru Amazon. Got the smart charger and extra batteries also.

Looking at the reviews for the Fenix ld22 that Fall Guy recommended I seen this one was also highly recommended. I think both would suit my purposes.

Will you be using it for a tracking light also?

Looking at the reviews for the Fenix ld22 that Fall Guy recommended I seen this one was also highly recommended. I think both would suit my purposes.

Will you be using it for a tracking light also?

Yes I will be using it for tracking. It will get a good trial as I help a bear guide out for the next 30 days.