First time with sunflowers

I always planted them for deer mostly and I never mowed them. It was pretty amazing how much of the plant that the deer ate. The obviously ate the seeds, but they also ate every single leaf, and a good portion of the heads themselves were eaten. I even watched deer picking at fibers on the stocks during the winter.
And on more than one occasion, I watched young bucks rubbing dry, stiff stocks (I've seen them do that with pokeweed, too).
I left my plants standing until late winter when there was nothing left on the plant for deer to utilize. I didn't want to mow the stuff if there was anything that deer would still use. I figured that if I chopped it all up, I would be wasting some tonnage.
Well there’s no argument with that; mowing turn will effectively render them useless for deer. Where this field is located, though, it’s not setup for deer use. It’s along a county gravel road and around my shop...not an area deer frequent (at least during daylight hours). My goal with this sunflower field was to try and get 2-3 dove shoots and then hopefully provide some food and little cover for quail and pheasants. I never really considered planting them for deer but glad to hear they seem to like the mature plants too...I assuming they mostly just liked the young tender plants.

I always planted them for deer mostly and I never mowed them. It was pretty amazing how much of the plant that the deer ate. The obviously ate the seeds, but they also ate every single leaf, and a good portion of the heads themselves were eaten. I even watched deer picking at fibers on the stocks during the winter.
And on more than one occasion, I watched young bucks rubbing dry, stiff stocks (I've seen them do that with pokeweed, too).
I left my plants standing until late winter when there was nothing left on the plant for deer to utilize. I didn't want to mow the stuff if there was anything that deer would still use. I figured that if I chopped it all up, I would be wasting some tonnage.
Well there’s no argument with that; mowing turn will effectively render them useless for deer. Where this field is located, though, it’s not setup for deer use. It’s along a county gravel road and around my shop...not an area deer frequent (at least during daylight hours). My goal with this sunflower field was to try and get 2-3 dove shoots and then hopefully provide some food and little cover for quail and pheasants. I never really considered planting them for deer but glad to hear they seem to like the mature plants too...I assuming they mostly just liked the young tender plants.
They only way I can get them past the young stage is with an E fence. Otherwise they eat them as they sprout.
But as soon as I take the fence down, its like a dinner bell. They gorge themselves on the stuff.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

They only way I can get them past the young stage is with an E fence. Otherwise they eat them as they sprout.
But as soon as I take the fence down, its like a dinner bell. They gorge themselves on the stuff.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Interesting. I’ve got a bunch of deer but haven’t noticed much deer pressure on mine. That being said I haven’t spent much time down in the portion of the field that’s closest to the woods. Before I start mowing I’ll take a good walk around the far edges of the field.

Burn down with herbicide, then fire. Folks down here use gramoxone.

Burn down with herbicide, then fire. Folks down here use gramoxone.
That’s not really an option for me. The sunflowers are far too tall for me to spray. I have heard other people mention spraying and fire...just don’t think spraying is a reasonable option for me this year.

........I wish my sunflowers were too tall to spray.........

bill

Great job, it doesn’t look like it’s your first sunflower plot. They can be finicky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job, it doesn’t look like it’s your first sunflower plot. They can be finicky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely is...and this one was blind luck for sure. Weather and other delays made think the whole deal was going to be a bust, but to my surprise they came through pretty well. I’m looking forward to seeing what we can do next year with a little better planning.

The deer never touched my sunflowers either. I actually just left them up through the winter to help winter the birds and plowed them under the net spring. I was super excited, so many people say deer love sunflowers, but mine did not

I got some browsing on my spring planted sunflowers this year. They never touched them last year. Now the late summer planted sunflowers are a different story. I've found that there is nothing more attractive than late planted sunflowers. The first frost takes care of them but there weren't many left by that time anyway. makes for a great early archery plot to hunt over.

I got some browsing on my spring planted sunflowers this year. They never touched them last year. Now the late summer planted sunflowers are a different story. I've found that there is nothing more attractive than late planted sunflowers. The first frost takes care of them but there weren't many left by that time anyway. makes for a great early archery plot to hunt over.

Mine were planted in early August last year too, they never got touched. It was a super cheap and easy to do plot. I may try them again, the deer at my place wouldn't eat turnips for a few years, but now they hammer them. So anything is possible.

Mowed about 1/4 of my sunflowers to the ground...about as short as I could mow without constantly cutting dirt. No idea if the birds are using them now since I haven’t gotten back up to check them since I mowed. Anyone have an idea how long it takes the birds to find them in numbers post mowing? Some areas have good bare dirt and others have some sparse grass that’s been mowed short now. Hopefully they’ll use it all.

Attachments

• 1CB25C93-526C-4D7C-9CEA-C9BBFFA27C91.jpeg
    1CB25C93-526C-4D7C-9CEA-C9BBFFA27C91.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 1030A1EB-C5BA-4F8A-9E1E-CCBE92ECDBD4.jpeg
    1030A1EB-C5BA-4F8A-9E1E-CCBE92ECDBD4.jpeg
    584.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 25FF7ECE-C2A1-4195-A055-DAE0FDF5129B.jpeg
    25FF7ECE-C2A1-4195-A055-DAE0FDF5129B.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 7729764F-4507-4F3A-B1F7-6BEB3F395E9B.jpeg
    7729764F-4507-4F3A-B1F7-6BEB3F395E9B.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 6C9DFC79-BC8F-4E58-8957-8BB4F6D22660.jpeg
    6C9DFC79-BC8F-4E58-8957-8BB4F6D22660.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 16
  • B78E6D6F-41A1-4A69-BB5D-24FFC98BCEF4.jpeg
    B78E6D6F-41A1-4A69-BB5D-24FFC98BCEF4.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 14
Doves always used my sunflowers long before mowing. Doves usually on them pretty good by first week of Aug. i dont live in row crop country, so we dont have a whole bunch of doves. I have to start attracting them early summer so we have a decent number come dove season. If my dove attractants did not get ripe until two weeks before season - i wouldnt have many

Doves always used my sunflowers long before mowing. Doves usually on them pretty good by first week of Aug. i dont live in row crop country, so we dont have a whole bunch of doves. I have to start attracting them early summer so we have a decent number come dove season. If my dove attractants did not get ripe until two weeks before season - i wouldnt have many
I would say it’s pretty limited for me too. If I had gotten the sunflowers in a month earlier I think it would be different. I had probably a dozen or two doves that I was chasing around and out when I was mowing but I mowed from 11 am till 1 pm...so not prime time.

I would say it’s pretty limited for me too. If I had gotten the sunflowers in a month earlier I think it would be different. I had probably a dozen or two doves that I was chasing around and out when I was mowing but I mowed from 11 am till 1 pm...so not prime time.

If you had a dozen or two middle of the day, you might have a bunch at 5 oclock

Well I finally got a chance to hunt the sunflower patch this morning. I had a blast but think a good chunk of doves have moved out. Ended up killing 10 and missing 5 so all in all not terrible. Probably saw 30-40. I only had the chance to hunt for a couple hours and it’s tough to cover a 5 acre field solo. It’s a lot of fun to hunt doves that haven’t been pressured. Hopefully next year I can get the sunflowers in the ground a month earlier and they’ll be dried down a little more. I have seen quail and tons of other birds using them too. I assume the pheasants will get out in them too but I haven’t seen any in them yet.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions. I learned a lot this year and I was very impressed with the Clearfield sunflowers. I’ll be planting them again next year. I have tons of heads that are 14-16” in diameter and loaded with seeds. Next year we will plan better and I’ll have a couple of loads on pig manure on it too, which should help since it had no fertilizer or other soil amendments this year.

Attachments

• 9408415C-B972-4B38-A8AB-AA1E216CA5AD.jpeg
    9408415C-B972-4B38-A8AB-AA1E216CA5AD.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 81502A74-34B2-4E96-A100-39452D3DBE1D.jpeg
    81502A74-34B2-4E96-A100-39452D3DBE1D.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 17CA3428-FD72-4D68-ABE4-335FD64A5583.jpeg
    17CA3428-FD72-4D68-ABE4-335FD64A5583.jpeg
    589.8 KB · Views: 17