All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First time planting Pear Trees

Rauch18

Yearling... With promise
We planted our first pear trees this past weekend. I have been trying to learn info from others on this forum and on the QDMA forum about how to go about it. We tried the carpet idea around the bases of the trees:

Pear%20Tree%201_zpseq5v7cuh.jpg

Pear%20Tree%202_zpsbxzvig8w.jpg

Do you guys think this will work? Any suggestions on how we might modify what we did to get the best results?

Thanks!

Josh

Will critters get under the carpet and cause problems?

Where are you located?

My pear trees are a struggle!

Not sure about the critters? That is certainly a concern. I'm curious if others who have used the carpet approach had issues with the critters?

We are in southeast Indiana. Zone 6a

Josh

I go au natural on my trees. Pear trees are way easier than apples and I haven't had a rabbit, mole, vole or pole that ever did damage to one of my pear trees. I would get rid of that carpet yesterday and let them just grow and keep the weeds knocked down with gly. Maybe I have just been lucky but lost a ton of Apple trees to critters but not one pear and I have planted at least 40

I was also told by numerous people that tubing fruit trees is a horrible idea as it promotes really bad limb crotch angles. Something to consider for training your fruit trees while their young.

Voles nest in the tubes and will girdle the trunk. Lose the tubes and window screen the trunks.
I will second this.

Thanks for the responses guys. Please keep them coming.

If I remove the tubes and window screen the trunks, should I still keep the PVC tubing to support the tree? If so, what should I use to connect the tree to the PVC tubing with?

Voles nest in the tubes and will girdle the trunk. Lose the tubes and window screen the trunks.
I will third this. Did it with two apple trees one year and lost both. One of many lessons learned that I won't repeat.

I think the best practice is to:
- use a 10', half-inch metal conduit pushed ~1.5ft into the ground ~4-6 inches from the central leader
- loosely attach the central leader to the conduit with either ag-lock (http://www.orchardvalleysupply.com/ovsstore/pc/AgLok-36p63.htm) or grafting tape (http://www.amazon.com/Gardeners-Blu..._indust_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=19CJCQVSG6MBN86S3W4Z), or similar
- add stapled wire screen around the base of the tree (this was discussed pretty extensively recently in the forum; let us know if you need a link to that)

If you're going to make those tweaks, also consider adding a bag of pea gravel as mulch around the base of the tree.

I don't have a great picture handy, but here's the jist of it (though I wouldn't wrap the screen around the pole like I did here...we're always learning!):
TirrellField-GoldenHornet_zps6f12d0e0.jpg

Good luck!

Thank you everyone for the replies. Tubes will be coming off and screens going on.

You will be glad...a buddy lost an entire orchard to voles in tubes.

Looks good! I'm in zone 8 so a lot warmer here, but I have had great luck with pears. I think i have about 30 pear trees planted at my place. What kind of pear trees did you plant? Good luck with yours!

Looks good! I'm in zone 8 so a lot warmer here, but I have had great luck with pears. I think i have about 30 pear trees planted at my place. What kind of pear trees did you plant? Good luck with yours!

Thanks! We planted Kieffer's. Very impressed thus far with the growth. Thanks everyone on here for your input. I'm sure I will have more questions moving forward.....

Josh

Pears are easier especially Asian pears. They are not as fickle as apples

You need to move sm lol. My pear trees are loaded but have a problem with half eaten pears already. Oh well we have lots so it's ok lol

Yeah I planted some and have had very little growth. One died the first summer. Apples may be taking their place if I don't see growth this year.
Yep....probably geographical location is big factor. Where I'm at apples are a struggle to grow. Pears do great.

I was looking at my 2 pear grafts and wondering again if I should just cut them down and be done with it. The nursery owner said he only carries them because people ask for them. He did not recommend them. It looks like one of the 2 Ussurian pears survived the winter.
I guess that might be one more to cut down in the future.

Hi Josh,

They look good but, I'd be apt to rub off or trim off those lower leaf buds down inside that screen. They will eventually grow out and then curve straight up forming a competing leader . (I know from experience ).

Thanks for the advice. We will certainly do that next time I make it down to the property. Like I said, this is our first attempt at doing this so any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks again.

Josh

Add me to the pears were a big mistake list. The only two I had make it through the first winter died in the second winter. The others have turned into shrubs growing out off the base. They all had a little die back on the tips and one died all the way back again. I am just going to let them go wild until I need the space. The only one I have doing great was an ayers from tractor supply. Been through the worst two winters possible and not a blemish on it, cummins pears picked for my area all suck.