Pear trees for Wisconsin

Robert86

5 year old buck +
Looking for suggestions on what pear trees are best for wisconsin. Also wondering what soil they need, wet, dry? Also wondering about how shade tolerant they are. Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Moist but well drained soil. Full sun, not shade.

What zone are you in? Your options Wille likely be limited if you are in Zone 4 or lower, but there are probably some decent options for you.

A suggestion for a source of names of pears that can do well would be to check some of the local nurseries in your area if they have a website. One that has a lot of heritage pears listed is Maple Valley Orchards located in NE WI. They seem to have done more in providing scion wood in the past but still have names and zones listed on their website. A quick check shows a fair amount good to zone 4 and some zone 3. It seems just about anything I clicked on was out of stock at present but maybe they don't update and take orders until late winter/spring. But again can reference names and other info in the meanwhile.

https://maplevalleyorchards.com/trees/pear-trees/

I have wild pears growing just fine in zone 4b but close to 4a. Sorry that doesn't give you any names to look up but just that they must do well enough to have seedlings pop up on their own from some tree located down the road by an old farmhouse.

Last edited:
A suggestion for a source of names of pears that can do well would be to check some of the local nurseries in your area if they have a website. One that has a lot of heritage pears listed is Maple Valley Orchards located in NE WI. They seem to have done more in providing scion wood in the past but still have names and zones listed on their website. A quick check shows a fair amount good to zone 4 and some zone 3. It seems just about anything I clicked on was out of stock at present but maybe they don't update and take orders until late winter/spring. But again can reference names and other info in the meanwhile.

https://maplevalleyorchards.com/trees/pear-trees/

I have wild pears growing just fine in zone 4b but close to 4a. Sorry that doesn't give you any names to look up but just that they must do well enough to have seedlings pop up on their own from some tree located down the road by an old farmhouse.
Yes, they are usually later in the season to update and take orders. Last year was second week of December. I’ve been very happy with scion ordered from them. No issues and would recommend.
Wish I could help with some pear varieties, but I’m in zone 5b/6a

You can try Wallace Woodstock nursery in Neillsville. I bought 8 pear trees from them 13 years ago and 4 are going strong. This was when i first started planting so didn't know much about hadiness zones or tagging. They have some varieties that cold tolerant for zone 3-4 with a couple to zone 2.

Wallace Woodstock - Pears

Moist but well drained soil. Full sun, not shade.

What zone are you in? Your options Wille likely be limited if you are in Zone 4 or lower, but there are probably some decent options for you.
I believe I'm in zone 4, close to Fond Du Lac.

Fond Du Lac is 5a, which will give you some leeway regarding hardy varieties. Are you just looking for eating pears or pears to hunt over? The majority of pears ripen in late August -early September so you will have to keep ripening times in mind when looking for hunting pears. Keiffer and korean giant would be good first choices.

I'm looking for hunting pears, I have high ground and low ground, do pears like low ground even? I'm basically between Fond Du Lac and Lake Michigan.

I've had good luck with the pear trees I've purchased from St. Lawrence Nursery in New York. I've planted these on my property in Rusk County Wisconsin as well as home in Olmsted County Minnesota.

Beierschmitt is a great eating pear tree that drops in September. I've planted several other pear varieties as well, but I can't remember their names off the top of my head.

Here's a other discussion about cold hardy pears:

I believe I'm in zone 4, close to Fond Du Lac.

On my pears, have had good production; however, they seem to all fall within 2-3 days and are gone in 2-3 days. Hard to hunt over when there is not an extended drop time.

So I was reading the link, what Apple trees do you all like, I have some. It's a yellow and red apple. Very sweet tasting. Any ideas what they are? The old owner planted them 25 years ago so I'm not sure what they are.

So I was reading the link, what Apple trees do you all like, I have some. It's a yellow and red apple. Very sweet tasting. Any ideas what they are? The old owner planted them 25 years ago so I'm not sure what they are.
Take some pics of the apple, the leaves, and the young wood color. Disease issues, bloom times, and rip dates can help ID it too. Is it striped, or has a red blush. Some apples change color from the south portion being warmed up more. Red and yellow striped might be gala.

Think sandbur is up your way. His liking are for deer, but lean towards the hunter eating them too. liberty, enterprise, and sundance are disease resistant and good for october / early november range. They go down to zone 4. IF you're zone 3, kerr, redfield, sweet 16, are good choices. I am new to planting apples. MY camp in the adirondacks gets lake effects and polar vortexes every few years too. I'm about 40 miles or so from saint lawrence nursery. My trees are on antonovka rootstock, like saint lawrence sells. I have kerr, droptine, 30-06, and crossbow up there. 100% survival last winter. Had a -38 deg F cold snap one night. Adding redfield, ides of march, and signal fire next year. Getting pretty sick of my club's BS, so may not see these guys get mature. Thats another thread though. Ides of march and signal fire are varieties guys on here have found along the road locally.

Saint lawrence had elizaa's crab, all winter hangover, and winter wildlife as their star candidates. There's another one folks here like too. Ordered 25 rootstoks and coworker bought one of their starter packages. All doing well. MAple Valley I had to cncel my order due to tearing my bicep in march. They gladly refunded me, so good experience there.

Fedco in maine is a bit on the pricey side, but had plenty of good zone 3 options. They also plant on antonovka.

IF those apples you have drop when you like them too, order some roostock with your tree order. Antonovka, dolgo, and B118 will survive zone 3.

Last edited:
Kieffer do very well for me. Reliable, consistent producers starting at a young age. Amazing for human consumption too if you can them. Also grow Flemish Beauty, summercrisp, cold snap, Parker, and Olympic giant. They all do great but they won’t do much value for deer hunting. They are done by September. My Kieffer are from Turkey Creek. My other pears I believe came from Cummins almost 10 years ago. I have grafted 100s of apples and tried grafting pears multiple times, not sure what the deal is but I was unable to successfully graft a pear tree.

Cleft grafting has been ticket for me with pear trees.