Firminator G3 Review

Good looking plots. My broadcast plot at the cabin is deader than a doornail, whereas my drilled plots are doing OK despite the drought. Thanks for sharing your posts and pictures.

I’m reviving this in the hope that folks come back and give longer term reviews on their G3’s.

Review of mine :

6 foot model with upgraded heavy cultipacker wheels : 3rd planting season upcoming
I pull it with my 4066r with a hydro Toplink on the joystick (very nice!)
I’m currently running about 6 acres of clover that I rotate sections out of for brassicas every year.
The machine has worked well, and my plots have been better than good. Imo, of course😂. ( far northern Wi zone 3)

I certainly have more to learn to get better with it, but a few little issues for me have been :

1. Planting clover mixtures and brassica mixtures have been tough. It seems that no matter how far I close the seed gate, I’ve so far vastly over-planted my small seeds. I guess I need to start mixing them at some rate with something.

2. Since my plots are somewhat irregular in shape and I’m never able to do my discing at 90 degrees, I’m starting to get waves or ruts in my plots. Not particularly deep, but pretty rough…..and it affects germination. What could I buy or use to level this off before planting?

3. Firminator discs don’t like inexperienced operators on new ground who hit very large rocks repeatedly on the same center 6 wheels😂 . I bent the piss out of them and when I called to buy 6 new ones. The guys at Ranews sent me 6 for free with free shipping too…..3 years and 2 seasons of use after buying it…..also after admitting what I said above!!!!!!

WOW, is all I can say to this day - along with another big thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5044.jpeg
    IMG_5044.jpeg
    711.4 KB · Views: 14
  • STC_0068.jpeg
    STC_0068.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4879.jpeg
    IMG_4879.jpeg
    787.3 KB · Views: 14
I’m reviving this in the hope that folks come back and give longer term reviews on their G3’s.

Review of mine :

6 foot model with upgraded heavy cultipacker wheels : 3rd planting season upcoming
I’m currently running about 6 acres of clover that I rotate sections out of for brassicas every year.
The machine has worked well, and my plots have been better than good. Imo, of course😂. ( far northern Wi zone 3)

I certainly have more to learn to get better with it, but a few little issues for me have been :

1. Planting clover mixtures and brassica mixtures have been tough. It seems that no matter how far I close the seed gate, I’ve so far vastly over-planted my small seeds. I guess I need to start mixing them at some rate with something.

2. Since my plots are somewhat irregular in shape and I’m never able to do my discing at 90 degrees, I’m starting to get waves or ruts in my plots. Not particularly deep, but pretty rough…..and it affects germination. What could I buy or use to level this off before planting?

3. Firminator discs don’t like inexperienced operators on new ground who hit very large rocks repeatedly on the same center 6 wheels😂 . I bent the piss out of them and when I called to buy 6 new ones. The guys at Ranews sent me 6 for free with free shipping too…..3 years and 2 seasons of use after buying it…..also after admitting what I said above!!!!!!

William Yancy is the best in the business.

Use top link and rotate back to cultipack only. Then run over high spots after planting. Can even plant on these runs too. I also notice it heaps a little dirt on sides of rows. Can also shorten width if planting (plant 5 foot paths instead of 6 feet) so you can always be going over the higher areas.

Another thing is to use more no till. Don’t fully roll ground, just light disc and plant, preferably in one path. Use some herbicide if needed to fully terminate previous crop (instead of heavy discinf) or just plant at end of crop cycle and let weather terminate it for you.

Review of mine :

I used millet & hybrid sorghum seed as mix filler at ~30% rate with my clover and brassicas. Did a good job to balance out the seeding rate and the added benefit of biomass being added.

Review of mine :

If planting in fall just use 50lbs of any grain.

Cat litter and corn good non growing stuff

I used millet & hybrid sorghum seed as mix filler at ~30% rate with my clover and brassicas. Did a good job to balance out the seeding rate and the added benefit of biomass being added.

I will be pulling mine out in about 3 weeks to plant. Have to get through planting my apples and conifers the next couple of weekends.

Review of mine :

I will be pulling mine out in about 3 weeks to plant. Have to get through planting my apples and conifers the next couple of weekends.