Fireblight

[

At some point, wildlife trees have to survive on their own. Try to pick good ones on good rootstocks. Baby for a while and let then let nature decide.[/QUOTE]

I know good advise when I see it. I have been busy and away from the forum for a week or so, but that is “sum goooood advise there”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I baby mine for the first year, then I let mother nature take care of them. I will do minimal stuff, like weed whip in the cages a couple times a year, and give them some fertilizer once a year. Other then that, unless we are in major drought, I am not lugging water back to them. I have always figured a tree that is in a dry spell, needs to grow stronger roots to get to water, or die. So if it can survive the first couple dry spells, it will have a better life because of it.

I have pears being hit hard that I have never seen hit before with Blight. It's around my place every year but never anything to worry about since I only plant pears with high resistance. I have several wild pears that have always made loads of fruit get hit and they are 20 foot plus so they have been around for several years. Seems like a really testing blight year for sure.

The Eastern half of the U.S. has been pretty wet overall this spring. Wet years make for worse FB.

Interestingly, my next-door neighbor pulled their junipers and planted something else in their place. Consequently - I have no CAR on my Profusion crab this spring !!!

Ouch @greyphase !!

Tough year man...

I have a mild FB outbreak this year. Still have a lot of apples but some of the tree were thinned pretty good. I don’t do anything to the FB trees because they are big mature trees. Hoping it doesn’t effect my new trees and so far it hasn’t. My question is we hit 39 degrees two night ago will that effect FB or does it have to be prolonged cold, two other nights in low 40’s.
WTNUT, Looks like my growing season was a longer than normal 3 weeks this year.