Fireblight or something else ?

TonySoprano

A good 3 year old buck
This spring I planted kieffer pears , Gilmer Christmas and Wildlife pears from The Wildlife Group.
All have been growing well and the leaves were clean. I just looked today and out of nowhere both of my Gilmer Christmas pears have black on the leaves.
These Gilmer Christmas are planted 300 yards or more away from each other in different pear plots. None of my other variety of pears have this black on the leaves.

Please let me know what you think it could be. Worst case I'll dig them out and plant more Wildlife pears if I have too. So Far the Wildlife pears leaves are clean. I'm mainly planting pears for deer , and not eatin pears for myself.

Attachments

• 100_2055.JPG
    100_2055.JPG
    416.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_2056.JPG
    100_2056.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_2057.JPG
    100_2057.JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_2059.JPG
    100_2059.JPG
    358.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_2060.JPG
    100_2060.JPG
    339.5 KB · Views: 15
It's not fireblight, and it's likely nothing to worry about. Near the middle to end of a hot summer it's not unusual to see leaves like that on fruit trees that have been stressed a little.

PS - I have no experience with Gilmer Christmas but do have lots of experience with pears in general.

Thanks , that's a relief to hear. I have several 5-6 year old Big box store kieffer's I believe , and they dropped all their pears already with help from some squirrels and weighted down broken branches. Had deer coming up during the day and eating them for most of July.
I have a 5 year old Dr Deer pear that has it's first significant crop , so hopefully it's a Draw during hunting season.

Yes, the overloaded pears are a problem here too this year. I tried unloading some but didn’t get to all of them in time.

IMG_4539.jpeg

That's quite a crop ,but too bad about all the broken limbs.

My trees are 5X worse than that with brown leaves.i have never had anything like that before.Even when I had a few trees that got FB.Did yours get worse?

My trees are 5X worse than that with brown leaves.i have never had anything like that before.Even when I had a few trees that got FB.Did yours get worse?
The last I looked over the weekend they were about the same, and haven't gotten any worse.