Fire and conifers

Jaxon Holler

Yearling... With promise
New to prescribed fire and just getting some things figured out. I have several areas of native grass and pollinator plantings established and a few more I planted this spring. I would like to manage these areas going forward with fire. Is there any way I can scatter white cedar and white spruce into these areas without killing then with fire? My plan so far is to keep them separate and not run fire where I plant my conifers

New to prescribed fire and just getting some things figured out. I have several areas of native grass and pollinator plantings established and a few more I planted this spring. I would like to manage these areas going forward with fire. Is there any way I can scatter white cedar and white spruce into these areas without killing then with fire? My plan so far is to keep them separate and not run fire where I plant my conifers

I have no experience with white spruce, but around here we burn to control conifers in general. I think it would be tough if not impossible to do what you are suggesting there.
9332a69ca4e7b9dd5270630539dab223.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only reasonable way would be to mow/disc/till fire breaks around the trees before running fire through. I think that's possible depending on scale and if you only manage with fire every few years, I'd say it's probable.