Finally shot the X bow

Looks good. A compound is not a bow either. It is much more like a catapult.

Looks good. A compound is not a bow either. It is much more like a catapult.

Damn Skip Jack-

Got the 69 Bear Stick in the 10 year olds hands this fall. Anything under 10 yards is a bogey.

…but I won't dis other weapons. Its all good.

I hunt with anything that is legal. I was one of those opposed to legalizing compound bows many years ago. They became popular and after all, money talks. When I injured my neck and had to have surgery, it forced me to consider xbows. I put it off because I didn't like how noisy and front end heavy they were. I listened to a lot of grief from guys telling me they weren't bows at all. I laughed because they shoot compounds with sights and stabilizers and mechanical releases. Not one of them could hit the side of a barn with a longbow. Now I shoot my Mathews when I can and shoot my Skorpyd crossbow the rest of the time. Haven't hunted with my Weatherby in about 15 years.

I've never owned a cross bow..... But I'm afraid I'm getting close. I had shoulder surgery last February, and still can't shoot my bow more than 2 or 3 shots.

I don't have anything against cross bows, I just love my bow and don't want to give it up. But I've only been able to shoot <50 arrows in 3 years total. My max range is 25 yards, used to be 50 or 60. I may have to give in and get a new weapon.

-John

That is exactly what happened to me. I damaged a nerve at the base of my neck. I can shoot about 3 or 4 arrows and I'm done. THe surgery helped, but I cannot practice like I used to. I always preferred my recurve bow. I still have several. I love them. But with age and injuries, I had to compromise or give up bowhunting. I love it too much. I just get a kick out of the people who critisize xbows but shoot compounds that are so technologically beyond a "bow". I started out hunting with an old English Longbow. I doubt there are many of us left that have actually harvested a deer with a longbow using cedar arrows and homemade broadheads. Now I feel old.

Last edited:
This is how I bowhunt now.
IMG_0021_zpsf7ce5f4f.JPG

Jack
I like your Scorpyd, the price kept me from one. I will still use my bow but I got the X bow because of bad shoulder. I'll use the bow early season and the x late. Seams like the cold affect my shoulder more.

I got a X-bow last year - primarily for my kids to use as their entry level tool into deer/archery hunting. I used it to take a deer just to say I have done it as well. It performed well, but it take some getting used to. I like the way it can be used by several people and as such I don't have to buy seperate bow set-up for everyone. I think it will come in handy in a late archery situaton where bulky clothes can cause issues. Early season I will more than likely continue to use my compound. Don't have anything against them and I just don't see them as being as much of a "game changer" as some make them out to be. If it allows others that would be otherwise limited to hunt then all the better.

I've never owned a cross bow..... But I'm afraid I'm getting close. I had shoulder surgery last February, and still can't shoot my bow more than 2 or 3 shots.

I don't have anything against cross bows, I just love my bow and don't want to give it up. But I've only been able to shoot <50 arrows in 3 years total. My max range is 25 yards, used to be 50 or 60. I may have to give in and get a new weapon.

-John

Injured my neck 3 years ago, ended up with arthritis and nerve compression/impingement that affects my hand function when I have stress across my shoulders. Doc filled out the permanent crossbow application off the DNR website for me and handed it to me saying "Here, don't ever shoot your bow again." That's because I was complaining about not being able to shoot my bow without my hands going stone dead. I didn't want it then, still don't (I'd rather shoot my catapult :D ), but it means I still get to hunt early and late seasons and spend more time in the woods.

When you get to the point of needing a mobility scooter to get around - will you say "those are for old people" and stop being active, or will you suck it up and do what you need to do to stay in the game? I'm doing what I need to so I can enjoy as much of life as possible.

I bought the ten point venom this summer because they are legal to use now(I also needed a new bow anyway), and the thing is awesome.
I'm surprised more of these "protecting our hunting heritage" guys haven't been more vocal. I know of a half dozen guys who will now be bow hunting who didn't before.
I think it's great for strengthening the voice of hunters! Haven't heard much of that. Sadly, it seems these hunting advocates have been bashing them more than celebrating increased hunter numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm shooting 80 yards with my Ghost410 and loving it.

I'm shooting 80 yards with my Ghost410 and loving it.
You may be shooting 80 yards....but I'd bet you that a deer will not stick around for a full second for your arrow to "get there". Just saying. :) I have a crossbow too.....and it's cool....but it's not magic.

I had the opportunity to take a 80 yard shot at a fox recently. He was totally unaware that I was there. At the release of the arrow, he jumped and I missed him by 4 feet. I think a realistic shot at a deer is about the same with a xbow as it is with a compound. But, I can shoot 6 inch groups at 100 yards with my xbow.

I realize shooting a target and shooting an animal is 2 different things. But it's nice to play with!!

I realize shooting a target and shooting an animal is 2 different things. But it's nice to play with!!
Yep....just pulling your chain. :)

That crossbow makes alot more noise when you pull the trigger on it vs the trigger on a release. My hunting range with my x-bow is the same as it is with my compound - 30 yards. Boy that bolt gets there in a hurry thought!