Fertilizing for perennial legumes, Brassicas, and cereal grains

So…..I spoke with my friend this morning who runs the local feed/seed store. He’s not an agronomist but said I should go with 200# / acre of 5-14-42.

Is that in line with what you’re thinking Dan?
I think we've beat it to death. It's only 4 acres. Yes, the soil needs a nutrient boost. But, the whole situation is a mystery to me. This 5-14-42 is a bulk custom blend? Sounds like it. Or is it in a bag? If it's a bulk blend the N & P probably comes from di-ammonium phosphate (DAP). The potassium is a separate ingredient and I'd probably double it from 70 to 140 lbs.

But it’s MY 4 acres Dan, so I apologize if you feel it’s beat to death. What’s the mystery? That someone would dare ask for advice on a paltry 4 acres? Stupid questions?

That said, it’s bagged.

No need to reply, I’ll do my own thing and you do yours. I won’t make the mistake of asking you anything else.

Happy 4th!!!!

Keep in mind those fertilizer reqs are for dead soil, soil that has been dead, and will be mono-cropped, and then dead again. You're sitting on 60,000 pounds of insoluble nutrients per acre. If it was a hay field, and then it was worked up, and will be put right back into a healthy mix that won't get killed off next year, you'll be fine on nutrients, especially since you got your lime out there in the spring already.

The length of time between when it's worked up and replanted does matter though. The longer that goes, the more you'll be set back.

I must have pretty good soil because the 84 day corn my farmer planted this spring (no till) is looking great….with no inputs at all so far. Point being I hope I didn’t do any long term damage by having him disc it about 6” deep for me.

Either way, I guess the deed is done already.

My OM was 5.5 before tillage…is that good or bad? I’ll have it checked again in ‘23.

I think I’ll go with 1/2 rate this fall.

5.5% OM is excellent Maddog. I haven’t tilled my plots in 7 years (clay/loan soils) and the best I have are only 3.7%. You very likely did destroy some of it with the cultivation this year so don’t be surprised if it tests lower next year.

It sounds like you did well collecting your soil samples. I use a probe and collect cores 6” deep but 5” should get you in the right ball park - just make sure you are consistent in your collection each year.