All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fertilizer question

Smelly buck

A good 3 year old buck
Still trying to figure out this fertilizer deal. I got a soil test back from Whitetail institute and the only thing I need according to them is the "K" (potassium) for both the species I plan on planting. I guess I put out enough lime and everything else last year. I have no local farm co/op so I get my fertilizer at home depot or ace hardware. No way am I going to find a 0-0-10 or anything along those lines. So here's my question: What if I could find something along the lines of 0-0-6 and it cost $15 a bag to buy (hypothetical), or for the same price I could get a bag or 10-10-10. Wouldn't I be better of with the 10-10-10 as I would get more potash/potassium for my $15

What crop you going with? Wondering about "N" needs.

Depends on how many acres you are planting, but I would drive 2 hours to find a co/op or seed store before I buy fertilizer from a big box store.

To answer your question...nothing wrong with just putting 10-10–10 down if you can’t find potash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much K does it recommend? Does the test result tell you how many hypothetical pounds of K are represented by you soil sample, maybe presented as parts per million (ppm)? I'm going out on a limb to say there's always some K in the soil. So, maybe there's enough to do what you want to do without adding additional?

The crops are Joint Vetch and Alsike clover. Its a small -less than 1/2 area plot in a bottom land, high moister type area.

What was planted there last year? When do you plan on planting this year?

Buckwheat and sweet clover are two cover crops that are good at "mining" potassium and both would work well as a summer cover in preparation for a fall plot. Sunflowers are also good at mining minerals that are deep in the soil.

With that being said there is something like 25K #/acre of K in the soil every day of the week. The trick is to make it available. Gypsum is one product that CAN/MAY make it available. Poultry manure is a great source for instant available potassium. Depending what you planted last year and what your soil test says your CEC is at you may not even need to add any K because it will be released and be available this spring when last years residue breaks down.

Last edited:
Buckwheat was planted there last summer. The fall crop failed do to flooding