Fergusen 3pt Cultivator

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
Any opinions out there on these? I have been looking for one and found one. Do they do a decent job of tillage? The guy said it doesn't get much penetration, but he has the big sweeps on the ends. I was thinking of putting the smaller chisel tips on.

Any opinions out there on these? I have been looking for one and found one. Do they do a decent job of tillage? The guy said it doesn't get much penetration, but he has the big sweeps on the ends. I was thinking of putting the smaller chisel tips on.

A cultivator isn't really designed for initial tillage work generally. However, I have not seen a Ferguson. They were for secondary tillage work the older ones designed to keep weeds down before round up ready and similar seeds. They may have been used for other things but that is what they were used for around us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In general I agree. Cultivators were primarily designed to disturb weeds in young row crops. However, the more I learn about the negative impacts of tillage (especially deep and frequent tillage) on the health of the soil, the more I'm inclined to minimize tillage. I'd read some of the Crimson N Clover threads. He has done a good job of taking the no-till soil concepts advocated by Ray the Soil Guy (google him and watch his videos starting with infiltration) that practiced by many farmers now, and applying them to folks with small equipment doing food plots. A cultivator may turn out to be a good tool for some things.

Thanks,

Jack

I have the smaller tips on mine and I use it a lot. I like to use the cultivator first to break up the ground then the tiller.

That is what my intentions are with it, breaking new ground for foodplots. Hopefully working up most of the roots and stones that are near the surface and then hitting it with the tiller. What kind of penetration do you get with the smaller tips?

If the soil is moist and not heavy/thick vegetation, it will dig down deeper than you want to go. I have clay so I like to do this when the soil is moist. I also have lot of rock so using the cultivator helps lessen the abuse on the tiller. I mostly use the cultivator and tiller. I seldom use the plow and disk.