Favorite Brassica Mix

Terrific_tom

5 year old buck +
What is every one's favorite brassica mix along with seeding rates?

I plant a mixture of purple top turnips, rape and radishes at around 10#/acre

ptt, ghr, and crimson clover. broadcast over tilled soil. Leave the crimson grow till full bloom, then repeat.

When do you put out your crimson clover

same time as I plant the rest of it, three laps around the plot with the whirly bird broad cast spreader. Actually put them all down about three weeks ago trying to grow them as a season long plot to build up big roots. That plot also holds my fun for me crops, pumpkins, watermellon, and canteloupe all hilled in the plot in the midst of it all.

Does the crimson winter kill?

Trophy Radish, Gold Globe and/or Purple Top Turnips, and Dwarf Essex Rape. About 10 lbs/ac in different combinations of the three. Like to keep radishes no more than 3 or 4 lbs.

I used 5 lbs. of Ground Hog Radish, 3 lbs. of Barnipoli rape and 2 lbs of Barkant turnips per acre last season. They are all fairly quick maturing brassicas [60-90 day maturity].
Here is a picture from last year 30 days after planting.

IMG_2673.jpg

Very Nice TT. How did the deer hit that field?

The deer hit the plot great. Saw deer in it every time I hunted it. Had a buck that was close to book if not book come to the edge of plot only to get spooked off plot by fawn before I had a shot during muzzleloader season.

MoBuck brand ptt's were broadcasted 4 days ago. This is an area where my neighbor was stuck while hauling dairy pit manure.IMG_8758.JPG

It looks wet Art! I now officially hate rain!..........this month anyways!

Wait 20-30 days and see what we will say.

I like the Big and Beasty Brassica mix from Frigid Forage (based in Minnesota)

Tillage radish,forage peas and rape seed!!!

3# DER, 2# PTT, and 5# GHR. (or can substitute Green Globe Turnips GGT for Purple Top Turnips) ......and resist the temptation to use more seed.

We mostly mixed our own, very similar to what foggy just posted or just used PPT by itself. The couple times we used BOB mixes, I thought they were a good value for small plots. We used the Frigid Forage Big-n-Beasty Brassicas and the Antler King Honey Hole and they both grew well and our deer ate them to the dirt just like all other brassica we planted. I don't usually recommend BOB mixes of anything, but for a guy just trying brassica on a small plot I think they work fine, at around $20 for a half acre, you can barely get seed at the co-op for that price. Most co-op's do not carry the fancy new varieties, so if you want to try any of the improved varieties, a BOB seed mix with the types you want is a viable alternative.

3# DER, 2# PTT, and 5# GHR. (or can substitute Green Globe Turnips GGT for Purple Top Turnips) ......and resist the temptation to use more seed.

This is the hardest thing for me to do, cause it never seems like enough seed.

I'm trying a bag of ShotPlot this weekend. At $10 and free shipping on Amazocn, couldn't pass it up. I tried honey hole last year, too late, and it never rained for 15 days after planting. Only grew a couple inches. Going to broadcast the ShotPlot stuff Friday afternoon. Looks like its barsica and barkant.
Most bags of ShotPlot I've seen over the past couple years had a very high rate of rape.

We mostly mixed our own, very similar to what foggy just posted or just used PPT by itself. The couple times we used BOB mixes, I thought they were a good value for small plots. We used the Frigid Forage Big-n-Beasty Brassicas and the Antler King Honey Hole and they both grew well and our deer ate them to the dirt just like all other brassica we planted. I don't usually recommend BOB mixes of anything, but for a guy just trying brassica on a small plot I think they work fine, at around $20 for a half acre, you can barely get seed at the co-op for that price. Most co-op's do not carry the fancy new varieties, so if you want to try any of the improved varieties, a BOB seed mix with the types you want is a viable alternative.
For someone planting a 1/2 acre brassica plot I agree. Although the cost of seed per lb will be multiple times higher than co-op seed the actual dollar amount difference for the 1/2 acre is maybe $10. And you are usually getting improved varieties with the BOB. Cost of seed on a brassica plot is a fraction of the fertilizer cost. I almost jumped on a bag of Whitetail Institute Tall Tine Tubers this year. A high percentage of the seed was large bulb producing brassicas which is what I wanted, and the seeds were coated with some watersorp type material to aid in germination. I thought this could be valuable on a spray and broadcast type plot like mine.

Coating on the seed weighs up and costs very little. On 10lbs of coated seed, aprox 3.4lbs will be coating. so we don't get pure seed when they do that. And it actually increases the cost of seed that people don't realize.
So the 3 lb bag of TTT won't have 3 lbs of actual seed :confused:. Does this coating actually do much?

Coating on the seed weighs up and costs very little. On 10lbs of coated seed, aprox 3.4lbs will be coating. so we don't get pure seed when they do that. And it actually increases the cost of seed that people don't realize.
So the 3 lb bag of TTT won't have 3 lbs of actual seed :confused:. Does this coating actually do much?
MoBuck, I completely understand what you are saying and that is one drawback for us guys who use co-op seed and are used to getting 10lbs of seed when the bag weighs 10lbs. That said, if someone is planting a 1/2 acre, and the $20 bag says it covers 1/2 acre then what is the difference if you have 3lbs of seed in the bag or 2.5lbs of seed in the bag? Now, if it doesn't give a good solid stand on that 1/2 acre due to underseeding the rate per acre, then that is a different story.