Failed plots- lack of rain

DRG3

5 year old buck +
I'm not ready to call my fall plots failed yet, but I'm concerned so looking for some help in my contingency planning. I live in West KY and planted August 22
My plots were:
oats/clover
oats/chicory

I had some good rain that following week, and nothing at all since. This week and next, we have temps forecasted all the way up to the high 90's, with no rain. My opportunity for replanting if needed will be limited and I don't plan to do it unless necesary.

So here is my question- based on the type of plot planted- how and what are some replant strategies where I could have some fall food, but not totally ruin the chance for some of the chicory and clover to come up next spring and establish. Open ended- what would you do in this scenario- assuming when I get to the farm to check it, the plots are not growing. If the best answer is wait it out, I can do that too, but I would like at least some plot food this fall.

Thanks in advance!

Keep an eye on the forecast and broadcast some WR a day before rain is forecasted. Seed rate will all depend on what condition the plots are currently in. If google is correct, lol, I think WR can germinate in temps as low as 22 degrees. Someone call me out on that if I'm wrong.

2nd for WR. Twice I tried to plant brassicas this summer with rain in the forecast. We ended up barely getting a drop in July or August. I followed up with WR and oats around labor day and it rained for 5 out of the next 8 days and it all germinated and is 3-4" tall already.

Same boat. Planted Labor Day and it poured. Been dry as a popcorn fart ever since and like you said the 10 day is a zero percent chance. I’m about to call this a waste of money. I am going to broadcast wheat next strong chance of rain.

If the seeds germinated, then died off because of no rain, you are SOL for what you planted. If the seeds hadnt germinated, then they should still germinate if you get rain.
I was in this same boat last summer, but the dry continued until October, and not much grows in zone 3 in October.

Plant winter rye at 50 pounds per acre if the first planting took, but are small, plant 100 pounds per acre if nothing grew. No need to watch the forcast, if you spread it, it will be there until, if the rain comes. Unless you draw in a bunch of birds, or turkeys. I plant winter rye in almost all of my plots, for several reasons, but insurance against my main crop not growing is one of them.

If the seeds germinated, then died off because of no rain, you are SOL for what you planted. If the seeds hadnt germinated, then they should still germinate if you get rain.
I was in this same boat last summer, but the dry continued until October, and not much grows in zone 3 in October.

Plant winter rye at 50 pounds per acre if the first planting took, but are small, plant 100 pounds per acre if nothing grew. No need to watch the forcast, if you spread it, it will be there until, if the rain comes. Unless you draw in a bunch of birds, or turkeys. I plant winter rye in almost all of my plots, for several reasons, but insurance against my main crop not growing is one of them.
Turkeys and doves love my plots in the fall and spring when I sow them. Lol. Thats why I recommended waiting the day before it rains.

I'm in W. KY too. Sooooo dry, high 90's tomorrow, been dry all month but Looks like there might be some rain the last couple days of the month! Got seed in the barn but I'm waiting. Figure I have until about mid October for cereal rye, hoping sooner!

My grains have been a massive failure so far, it’s mostly a dust plot. I do have a good amount of clover already established, and put down more so I have some food around when the plug finally gets pulled. I have 3 bags of wheat and rye to top-seed if we ever get rain in the forecast again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in sw AR - and I dont plant until first of Oct because of the very reasons mentioned in this thread - that, and Army Worms

winter rye and red clover should be something everyone has on hand. They'll survive the winter when you plant 3 weeks before a frost.

I’m in the winter rye camp also. It will germinate at 36 degrees. You have plenty of time for moisture before those temps arrive.