Extreme Deer Habitat E-Book

Just so I understand your sketch. The red dots are hunting locations. Green is food plot. Brown lines are screening. Brown circles are bedding. White are cut in deer paths.

Yep!

Got the e book, as others have said its a good tool. I'd like to also get several of the others that were mentioned.. I like to get several angles on a subject and then apply parts from each based on my situation.

Sent from my Smartphone using Tapatalk

Agree with Sturgis and Neil's books as must reads. Also agree with MBC's comments regarding attracting does to small properties and the bucks will come. I am not good enough to design habitat to specifically attract mature bucks, probably not possible to hold them on my 120. But, by keeping the habitat attractive enough that several doe groups use it as part of their home range, we have seen more bucks, especially this year after dramatically reducing human pressure. As Bill pointed out on another thread, in the Midwest where habitat is fairly good to begin with, having a low impact approach to using the land is very important, IMHO. Good luck!

nrowles - When you talk about no deer activity in certain areas, keep in mind that once you cut a long narrow plot opening, or several small ones - you'll change the deer's travel patterns. More edge and more sunlight on the ground as Natty said will get new things growing and add to the diversity. Deer will investigate these new, changed areas and use the edges. Where you have no deer travel now can become a highway if you make some changes to your terrain.

We are doing that very thing to an area at my camp that was devoid of deer travel. Logging, planting new things, sunlight on the ground have made a big difference.

Mapping trophy bucks by Herndon was a good read and was my introduction to the importance of topography in habitat management

bill

Jeffs books are great reads. I just read Steve Bartyllas new habitat book and loved it. Recommend it big time. I have found that if I can take a few things away from each of these books and add their ideas to my habitat work. It is well worth it. I have never edge feathered my plots and Steve loves doing this.

Is anyone aware of this e-book and what are your thoughts?
Forgive me if I missed the info if it was posted, but who is the author of the Extreme Deer Habitat E-Book, and can you provide a link to where you bought it? Thanks

I purchased the Extreme Deer Habitat e-book Friday evening. I have read 4 chapters and am amazed at how much I've learned already. I have over a page of notes, questions, ideas, etc already. The chapter on micro properties was very very informative given my situation. Excited to keep reading. The video links are awesome also.

I wondered if the book was Brauker's. He entitles most of his stuff with "Extreme" in it.
He used to have a web site by subscription...maybe he still has it??
I subscribed for a while but my internet was so slow that it was torture trying to watch his videos.
But I really liked the content. On one hand, I learned a lot, and on the other hand, I realized I was already doing a lot of things right.
Jim has killed some decent Michigan bucks, which can be a challenge in that state. He's an intelligent guy...I assume the book has a lot of the stuff that was on his subscription site. It should be a good addition to a library of habitat literature.

SW Pa

I have read Sturgis' habitat book and while I think it had some value, his writing style is a nightmare in my opinion. Run on sentences are so long you forget where it started. I did get some ideas from it by I would recommend Bartylla's habitat book a hundred times before I would the Sturgis model. It is more in depth, far better written, has many diagrams and pictures, and is really geared toward the do it yourselfer.

I couldn't shake the feeling while reading the Sturgis book that he was intentionally trying to overcomplicate things to sell additional on site evaluations. I hope I'm wrong in that regard.