Experienced shopper

Alpha Doe

5 year old buck +
In my price shopping today I ran across a couple of interesting things...

Whitetail Institute used to use the more expensive sethoxydim as the active ingredient in their grass killer Arrest. They have switched to the cheaper (but better in my opinion) clethodim. I believe their price is the same as it has been for several years @ 1 acre $40.00 or 4 acres for $138.96. Rural King price is 1 gallon of Clethodim for $50.00 + $12.41 shipping plus $3.31 tax for a total of $65.77. Depending on the rate you decide to use ( I use about 8 oz per acre) 1 gallon will cover at least 16 acres or about $4.11 per acre. To cover those same 16 acres with Arrest it would cost $640.00 or $40.00 per acre. Now there are some differences. I believe Arrest comes loaded with crop oil, so you wouldn't need to purchase the oil. Also, Whitetail Institute makes a very generous offer of free shipping. You only need to purchase 2 acres worth of Arrest to more than pay for a gallon jug of Clethodim. Is this like a 400% increase?

Whitetail Institute's broadleaf herbicide Slay, is the same as Thunder Herbicide. Thunder herbicide price is $349.95 per gallon plus shipping ( my shipping was $16.35) from Keystone Pest online. At a rate of 4 oz per acre one gallon will cover 32 acres or $11.44 per acre (plus a little extra for tax) Slay price is $50.00 per acre or at that price $1,600.00 for the same 32 acres. Slay, if bought in the 4 acre size (1 pint ) is a little cheaper than the 4 oz. size... but you get the idea! ( better not spill any!)

Last edited:
Very good observations. They know that it's hard for the average person to reason through that like you did, so they take advantage of it to a greater extent than they do with seed, which is easier for someone to take note of the price difference.

I would guess that their seed are probably 2 or 3 times higher (haven't really looked at it) than what you can buy common seed for. At that rate, they know that lots of people will see it but still decide to go with their product. If they made seed 10 times higher, I think it wouldn't work so well for them.

I buy some BOB seed because I may believe in a certain cultivar, and I'm willing to pay more (i.e. Durana White Clover, Barduro Red Clover, and some of the forage chicory varieties). Where some folks get confused is thinking that anything in a BOB bag will be an improved cultivar. If you read the labels you find out that is not the case. Everything listed may have a cultivar name, but having a name doesn't necessarily mean it is superior. I've had some dogs in my life that had a name (and even papers) but they were sorry dogs.

Last edited:
In my price shopping today I ran across a couple of interesting things...

Whitetail Institute used to use the more expensive sethoxydim as the active ingredient in their grass killer Arrest. They have switched to the cheaper (but better in my opinion) clethodim. I believe their price is the same as it has been for several years @ 1 acre $40.00 or 4 acres for $138.96. Rural King price is 1 gallon of Clethodim for $50.00 + $12.41 shipping plus $3.31 tax for a total of $65.77. Depending on the rate you decide to use ( I use about 8 oz per acre) 1 gallon will cover at least 16 acres or about $4.11 per acre. To cover those same 16 acres with Arrest it would cost $640.00 or $40.00 per acre. Now there are some differences. I believe Arrest comes loaded with crop oil, so you wouldn't need to purchase the oil. Also, Whitetail Institute makes a very generous offer of free shipping. You only need to purchase 2 acres worth of Arrest to more than pay for a gallon jug of Clethodim. Is this like a 400% increase?

Whitetail Institute's broadleaf herbicide Slay, is the same as Thunder Herbicide. Thunder herbicide price is $349.95 per gallon plus shipping ( my shipping was $16.35) from Keystone Pest online. At a rate of 4 oz per acre one gallon will cover 32 acres or $11.44 per acre (plus a little extra for tax) Slay price is $50.00 per acre or at that price $1,600.00 for the same 32 acres. Slay, if bought in the 4 acre size (1 pint ) is a little cheaper than the 4 oz. size... but you get the idea! ( better not spill any!)
Hey!!! You can't talk like that, Whitetail Institute is a sponso...........oh, never mind, we aren't on that money grubbing forum any more. Fire away Alpha!!!!

I'm all for making a profit...but really! The sad thing is, people trust this company. Then there are trusted organization that promote the products. How can an organization do that and feel good about themselves?

I'm all for making a profit...but really! The sad thing is, people trust this company. Then there are trusted organization that promote the products. How can an organization do that and feel good about themselves?
;)................$$$

Pretty packaging is expensive....

Pretty packaging is expensive....

I think this is pretty...

AnimatedBanner.gif

No giant antlers though, ^^^ the Elmer Fudd's of the world would still not understand..................

Here is another Tidbit for you AD. Beyond Herbicide for sunflowers is $600 a gallon, Raptor herbicide for Alfalfa is $500 a gallon, Clearcast herbicide for ponds is $290 a gallon. Take a look at the labels. I think if it were me, and it is, I would buy the Clearcast and use it on everything! Wink wink!

Beyond.PNG Beyond.PNG Raptor.PNG clearcast.PNG

Great comparison MoBuck!

I just used up the remainder of my Raptor from a couple years ago. Clearcast is my next choice...when we are ready to pull the trigger.

I get my Cleth from.........me. And its less than $50!

How much per gallon for clethodim? I will be glad to post your price on deerhunter.
I have a full gallon yet.

How much per gallon for clethodim? I will be glad to post your price on deerhunter.
I have a full gallon yet.

I pay $41 shipped in, Sell for $46 fob Mora MN. And I am not interested in shipping anything anymore.