All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Erosion

kl9

5 year old buck +
What are some methods of preventing worsening of already present gully erosion? I've thought about adding some dirt dams with a PVC pipe 70% or so up the height of the dam so the water will never get heavy enough to break the dam. Any suggestions?

Straw bales work really well for slowing water down and prevent further erosion in a wash or gully. Silt fence an terraces are some another options

I was always told the key to fighting erosion is to slow the water down and get something to hold the soil. Your damns and pipes should do that - you could actually turn these areas into seasonal or even more permanent ponds/water holes as well. You will have to watch your pipes as various critters will cover them to increase the water level and create issues.

Reactions: kl9
No till or warn season grass

Water bars to force the water into ditches which can be designed as mini holding ponds. They're actually piloting "rain gardens" here in the metro where the curb gutters are diverted into a garden pocket which is lower than the storm sewer entrance. The only time the water ends up in the sewer is if it backs up in the rain garden.

Only problem with the dam idea is 1. I'd probably have to add several and 2. I would have to take out a decent amount of timber to get a dozer to the necessary areas...

As mentioned above, rows of square bales held in place by t-posts on the low side with erosion mat on the upstream side will work just fine. The thing is, you must still have a place for it to run off, the key is to control the area and amount of flow through that area, potentially with a bed of rock for it to flow through. Also mentioned, you must get something down with roots that will hold the surrounding soil in place. There are many good shrubs that come to mind including willows, ROD, ninebark, and elderberry to name a few. You must also find a ground cover. As much as I hate to say it, perennial ryegrass might be your best friend in this location.

T
As mentioned above, rows of square bales held in place by t-posts on the low side with erosion mat on the upstream side will work just fine. The thing is, you must still have a place for it to run off, the key is to control the area and amount of flow through that area, potentially with a bed of rock for it to flow through. Also mentioned, you must get something down with roots that will hold the surrounding soil in place. There are many good shrubs that come to mind including willows, ROD, ninebark, and elderberry to name a few. You must also find a ground cover. As much as I hate to say it, perennial ryegrass might be your best friend in this location.
That is exactly what we were taught in school. I will second it.

Kaleb, I sent you a PM.

If you want to slow down erosion no better way than to add some tile and try to reduce tillage as much as possible. Try to avoid putting in a tile intake (the orange pipe in MO picture).

So many want to demonize tile and many have never seen the benefits of topsoil control like I have. I have a farm that is 0-2% slope across the entire farm. With all the rain the last two years I have lost a tremendous amount of topsoil. Last summer I went in and tiled a bunch of it to try and suck that water into the ground before it can run over. It (water) is leaving the field one way or another. I would like to leave my soil in place.

Show me where I said anything about how a terrace works. enlighten me. I was talking about intakes in general.

Mo,

Its glaringly obvious that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. I never said that what you have there is wrong or that there is a better way to do it. I was addressing the OP and IN GENERAL telling him to avoid a tile intake wherever possible. As a farmer I know that there are cases where an intake is needed or the landlord refuses to remove them, but I try to avoid them, and that's what I suggested to the OP. Intakes are not water quality friendly, but in some situations (like yours) are a better option that the water cutting out a huge gully and throwing it in the river.

If I wanted to tell you that what you have is wrong or critique and tell you there is a better way I would have called you an asshole, told you that you didnt know what the hell you are doing, and told you to get ***ked and shove your stand pipe up your ass.

Clear enough for ya now??

The thing with tile is that the water still goes someplace - be aware of where that is. My farm is tiled and was done well before I bought it. Some dump into streams, some dump into natural low areas that hold water anyway. I also have waterways to help control surface flow as well. Water can be a very difficult battle to win - so pick your battles carefully.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm going to try and post some pictures as to what I'm working with. The area in question is in a wooded area.