Early Season Apple Tree Choices

CedarSwamp

5 year old buck +
I have an orchard with mid-season trees near a bow stand and then I have later maturing trees farther from the stand. I’m in Zone 4. I’ve tried getting away with some zone 5 trees in the past and haven’t had any luck. I won’t use these for human consumption....they’re just for the deer.

I’m looking to add around 6 early season trees that would preferably finish dropping apples before around Sept 15th which is around when bow season begins.

Yellow Transparent is about ideal though I’d like other options and more disease resistant options.

On my radar are Zestar, Lodi, Whitney Crab, and Columbia Crab. I’d love a couple Crab options but I’m afraid most crabs like Columbia and Whitney will hold onto apples into bow season.

Please let me know if anyone has some good thoughts. Thanks!

Here at the zone 3-4 junction I have the following in the ground for early apples.

Whitney and Norland were grafted from trees that bear early. I saw the donor tree bear in late July one year for Whitney. Some think there are two varieties of whitney. Neither of these has apples, yet, but are close. A friend gave me Norland scion and it is consistently his earliest apple.

What I have bearing..., dolgo drops nearly all at once on Labor Day. Red Baron tends to be throughout that same time. State Fair might be a good choice.

What I think is Colombia is a late apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pristine, early with good DR.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A friend/client well down in zone 4 has a small commercial orchard and Lodi is his early apple.

Just a selling point for Norland when you are further north. Several years ago, a local college in northern central Minnesota had a program on apples after one of our coldest winters. About 30 orchard enthusiasts showed up and discussed winter hardiness and die Back. Norland came through the winter in good shape and had apples the following summer. My buddy gave me a bag of apples and some cider from them and both were great.

Pristine, early with good DR.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I Agree with Crazee. Pristine is my first to ripen, disease resistant and damn tasty.

Anyone have experience with RedFree? Nursery messed up my order and sent me one instead of a jonafree as I had ordered. Told them I'd just keep it and order a jonafree next year.

I Agree with Crazee. Pristine is my first to ripen, disease resistant and damn tasty.
I agree with both of you lol. Definitely get a pristine

Try Gingergold. It may be exclusive to Adams County Nursery but they are Sept apple for me here in Pa and drop some little by little. Not bad to eat too

Pristine, Williams pride, redfree, and initial

Redfree and Williams Pride are doing nice for me. Ripening in August, clean apples with no spray. Looking forward to having some others in coming years.

Zestar!
Centennial Crab
Chestnut Crab
Pristine as already mentioned.

A friend/client well down in zone 4 has a small commercial orchard and Lodi is his early apple.

Just a selling point for Norland when you are further north. Several years ago, a local college in northern central Minnesota had a program on apples after one of our coldest winters. About 30 orchard enthusiasts showed up and discussed winter hardiness and die Back. Norland came through the winter in good shape and had apples the following summer. My buddy gave me a bag of apples and some cider from them and both were great.

You’ve got me sold on Norland. Sounds like it is especially early to drop fruit in the year. I see that Wallace Woodstock sells them.

I think I’m leaning towards (2) Norland, (2) Zestar, a Lodi and a Transparent. Partially because these have better winter hardiness than some of the other options.

Thanks everyone! I always appreciate your input and advice!