All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eagle beans vs ?

This reminds me of you Jack.

Try doin somethin other than posting on here every 5 mins and sticking your "expertise" into everyone's threads. The world will go on without your expertise and knowledge. You seem so obsessed with posting a fricken gospel in every thread that it makes me want to puke. Must have made one helluva hall monitor in grade school.

Your keyboard can thank me later.

This reminds me of you Jack.

Try doin somethin other than posting on here every 5 mins and sticking your "expertise" into everyone's threads. The world will go on without your expertise and knowledge. You seem so obsessed with posting a fricken gospel in every thread that it makes me want to puke. Must have made one helluva hall monitor in grade school.

Your keyboard can thank me later.

If you have a different experience with soybean varieties in my area, please feel free to share it.

If you are looking to pick a fight, you're out of luck.

Those who enjoy or benefit from my posts will continue to do so. If you seriously have an issue with my posting behavior, you are welcome to complain to the management or acquaint yourself with the ignore function.

Back to beans...

Thanks,

Jack

There's some funny stuff in this thread.

There's some funny stuff in this thread.
It's like watching Nascar with these bean threads. You know there's going to be a big wreck sometime during the course of it but just aren't sure exactly when.

Wow, I should have known better than to bring up the subject of soybeans but I really wanted to know. Thanks for all the information. I understand much better the differences now. So would there be a place for mixing the two ag and forage beans in a given field? Then overseed with rye and clover about this time of year? Thanks. "D"

Wow, I should have known better than to bring up the subject of soybeans but I really wanted to know. Thanks for all the information. I understand much better the differences now. So would there be a place for mixing the two ag and forage beans in a given field? Then overseed with rye and clover about this time of year? Thanks. "D"

I would never waste my money mixing a "so called" forage bean with Ag beans. I would and have mixed late maturing soybeans with earlier maturing soybeans. Gives you the same forage at less money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D,

There may be, but you have to be careful how you go about it. Eagle beans are late maturing. I like to surface broadcast a cover crop into my beans when they turn yellow. This provides fall/winter attraction since pods are generally ignored in my area. It is also good for the soil and provides spring food. The problem is that the Eagle beans are so late maturing that by the time they turn yellow, it is in the middle of our archery season (when I don't want to be planting) and it is a bit late for the cover crop to establish.

So, one year, I tried mixing them with earlier maturing ag beans. My idea was to have enough beans that were late maturing that I would have some forage for an early archery season attraction, but enough early maturing Ag beans that I could establish a good cover crop. It didn't work out. The Eagle beans were so much more aggressive than the Ag beans that they overtook the field and shaded out the Ag beans. The entire field ended up being Eagle beans.

My resolution to the cover crop issue was to bushhog lanes through the eagle beans. This thread shows some pictures of the results: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.p...nd-corn-field-transfered-from-old-forum.5543/

However, they can be used together if you do it smartly. Deer generally browse soybeans from the outside in. They browse most heavily along the wood line were they can quickly escape into cover. If you have a drill and the time, you can plant Ag beans which don't handle the browse pressure well in the center of a field and Eagle beans around the outside. I have not done this myself, but several on the other forum have reported good success with this approach.

Another approach is strip planting. In years when I can plant Ag beans and get them to canopy. I can buy a single bag of Eagle Beans. I can plant a strip of eagle beans along the edge of the fields near treestands and Ag beans in the rest of the field. These late maturing Eagle beans stay green through the first half of our archery season providing attraction. By late archery season our deer are usually on acorns so the fields don't matter much during that time. By the time firearm season rolls around and acorns become less available, they are back in the fields on the cover crop I broadcast in the standing beans. Not much grows in the Eagle strips but this doesn't matter much because of the reach of a firearm compared to a bow.

Oh, and don't worry about bringing up beans. The subject doesn't matter much. The ad hominem posts can occur on about any subject here. It's just part of this playground for now.

Thanks,

Jack

A frustrated want to be magazine Writer is my guess.

acquaint yourself with the ignore function.

That's good advice Jack, I hope some take it very soon. That feature works on forums all over the web for a reason.

That's good advice Jack, I hope some take it very soon. That feature works on forums all over the web for a reason.

I think some are going a little farther and using the ignore the forum button now Because of one mans clutter. Oh well, I still like it here!

If you are going to mix a later maturing bean with a earlier maturing bean, I would do them in strips. You don't want the taller beans out competing the shorter beans causing them not to produce much, similar as to what a weed would do.

If you are going to mix a later maturing bean with a earlier maturing bean, I would do them in strips. You don't want the taller beans out competing the shorter beans causing them not to produce much, similar as to what a weed would do.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and keeping it concise. It educates me while I skip over the lectures and sermons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think some are going a little farther and using the ignore the forum button now Because of one mans clutter. Oh well, I still like it here!

Ignore forum button...that was funny ...got a good laugh at that...thanks Mo

Actually, I've had some communications from folks who are afraid to post here and are looking for other forums because of some of the responses. It is easy to clear the clutter with the ignore function as Bill emphasizes. The impact of less than civil discourse on forum readers can only be addressed at the source.

The appreciation and thanks I've received from those whom I've helped and the debt I owe others who have helped me far outweigh any negative feed back from a narrow group of folks.

I've advised those who are concerned about how they will be treated when they see the less than polite engagement that they should just hang in there and that these are expected growing pains as this forum hopefully grows from its small regional origin to a national level repository for QDM information and dialog.

Thanks,

Jack

If I remember right this forum was created to serve a small local area. Where we have more in common, than someone from outside the area. A lot of people would rather not have it go to the national level.

If I remember right this forum was created to serve a small local area. Where we have more in common, than someone from outside the area. A lot of people would rather not have it go to the national level.

I don't recall that ever being the case. If it was it certainly isn't now.

Not giving any personal warnings. My job is not to convince adults to get along online.

If this form was called Northern Tier Homogenous Habitat, I wouldn't be here, but it's called Habitat-Talk. I asked about vision, resources, and commitment before joining. Many, perhaps not all, of the folks here coexisted quite nicely on the QDMA forum before QDMA chose not to support an initiative important to folks in your region. QDMA has now chosen to turn their backs on their own forum users in an attempt to take control of the message. Rather than looking at newcomers as an invasion, original members of Habitat-Talk might consider this an opportunity to say "We were right, QDMA is now turning their back on others and they are catching on and coming here". Perhaps this is an opportunity to capture that target audience and show them that there is a place where QDM information can be exchanged and provided without them sanitizing the message.

One of the reasons I came here was because of the quality of the core group of guys that I respected. That hasn't changed.

Thanks,

Jack

I've advised those who are concerned about how they will be treated when they see the less than polite engagement that they should just hang in there and that these are expected growing pains as this forum hopefully grows from its small regional origin to a national level repository for QDM information and dialog.

Thanks,

Jack

Possibly your best post yet Jack. Glad to see that you were kind enough to dictate the way forward to everyone involved. I cant wait until this place is one huge suppository of information to soak in. Hopefully you can draw in other like minded individuals like Jim Brauker so we all know how its done.

The quality CORE group is great!