E- Fence

MNFISH

A good 3 year old buck

Last edited:
Not to discourage you but good luck keeping the coons out. Not a fence made that I know of that will do that.

I would think adding a wire real close to the ground would deter coons. Guy e fence their bee hives from bear and it works.
I'm impressed with the e fence I put up. Impressed enough, I'm using the fence on beans next year and fencing another plot.

I did a 5 wire system last year and it kept everything out. Bottom wire was 4 or 6 inches high? And we have lots of coons, but I ran field corn.

No matter what the instructions say do not buy the tester to see if its working. Grab a wire and wait for it...

I have one around a nursery. Never tried tried keeping coons out. It's two separate fences 3 feet apart, 3 wires per fence at different spacing from 6 inches off the ground to about 5 feet. The hardest thing we deal with as absentee owners is keeping weeds from grounding it out.

Roundup and deisel help in that area.

In my back yard, coons have ruined my sweet corn the last couple years. I looked a little at the motion activated water spray deterrents. I am not sure what direction they approach and figured I'd need one at each corner of the garden. Instead, I am going to skip planting it from now on.

Last edited:
I have E fence around my new orchard based on the Gallagher recommendation of one outer wire fence and 2 wire inner fence. We added a 3rd inner wire higher up and will add a 2nd outer wire before winter. I plan to disconnect the bottom wires when we start to get snow cover. I have noticed a few nibbles but no big damage. I will add some individual protection for the winter, a tube or small cage on my young grafts and a mesh tube over the central leader of the bigger trees. Those would come off next spring.

I am generally pleased. It is easier to inspect and work on the trees without caging. I did freak out when I first saw evidence of browsing. If I had to do it over, I'm not sure if I would do the E fence or cage everything.