Durana vs Ladino clover

TMIL

5 year old buck +
Is there a large advantage is using Durana over Ladino clover? I've done some reading and see that Durana lasts longer, but that's not really an advantage for me. I have several small foodplots scattered around. I mostly let them sit in Ladino clover for 3 years or so, then I pick one each year to plow up and plant in oats and PTT (along with Ladino clover to repeat the cycle). The Ladino then grows for another few years until I go back to that plot. I use Ladino, oats, and PTT because they're all cheap and locally available. Do you guys think it would be worth the $ to use Durana instead of the Ladino? The Ladino does great here, but I would consider Durana if there was a good reason.

From my limited experience, durana is not as winter hardy as ladino.

In S IL, Durana would do as well or better than Ladino. My question is that when you make a statement like this >"The Ladino does great here" and given the situation that you are explaining, why would you spend the extra money on Durana? If the Ladino is still thick and lush and being used by deer during year 3, there is really no reason to use a more expensive product that is not going to benefit your given situation. If your Ladino were spotty and not seeing use by year 3, I might be inclined to spend the money on a trial plot or 2 and compare it to Durana. Or maybe your a guy who likes to experiment and a few bucks a pound is no big deal, then sure try it, nothing to lose but a few bucks, I'm sure the Durana will do well there. Nothing wrong with diversity. Alice white clover is another good one but it does better in the northern regions.

TMIL the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind. I would stick to the ladino if it is working for you.

I have no complaints about the Ladino, but as whip said up there, I don't mind a few bucks to give something a try. I think late this summer when the time comes, I might give Durana a try. Even if its a complete failure (I doubt it) I'll have the other clover areas. There are several baskets for my eggs, if you will.

One more thing, I've been thinking about adding corn to the mix. I haven't quite decided how to fit it in though. I figure corn would benefit from the nitrogen fixed by the clover, so I'm sure I would want to do corn following clover. Should I follow the corn with the oats/PTT mix? I guess I could overseed the corn in the fall with an annual clover, or frost seed, to get some clover to grow in the spot the next spring/summer before fall planting time. Or I could follow the corn with Ladino again and let it sit, going with oats/PTT in another area. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
If you overseed in the fall, I would use a cheap medium red clover or white clover. An annual clover seeded in the fall could possibly freeze out during the winter if it were to germinate and catch a frost at the wrong time. Crimson would be the best choice if you use an annual. Doing what you are now is a good plan, especially if it's working now.

Last edited:
I tried some Durana a couple years ago and it is doing well, I can't say it is more of a draw than my Ladino tho. It seems to have a harder time in the summer when it's dry than the Ladino. This will be my third year with the Durana so I can tell you whether it lasts longer. I can't tell you the added price is worth it or not but my deer don't seem to prefer one over the other. Here's a pic of the Durana on the left earlier this fall

If you overseed in the fall, I would use a cheap medium red clover or white clover. An annual clover seeded in the fall could possibly freeze out during the winter if it were to germinate and catch a frost at the wrong time. Crimson would be the best choice if you use an annual. Doing what you are now is a good plan, especially if it's working now.

I do like what I'm doing now. I like leaving areas unplowed and in clover for multiple years. The way I do it now, I only work up perhaps 1/2 acre each fall for the oats and PTT. That's a level of labor I can easily handle, and I still have the other 2 acres or so of clover which the deer use frequently. Its cheap and easy for me. If I add corn I'll have to adjust that rotation and maybe leave the clover only 2 years instead of three. Now I wonder what are the advantages to the soil of that extra year of clover? If its not much I wouldn't worry about it and go ahead with the corn idea. Another idea is to add another plot area or expand existing plots so I can maintain 3 years in clover.

Severe drought will not kill durana. It will ladino. Ladino does not suppress weed and grass growth like durana.

I did a Durana / Patriot mix in a plot last fall. This will be my first experience with either of them and will let you know how it turns out.

Durana is extremely hardy and was developed for drier conditions. Long time to establish because it is building a major root system before top growth...