All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Durana/Patriot Clover questions

destincabo

Yearling... With promise
Planted some Durana/Patriot clover last fall with a cover crop of wheat/oats. This was my first time with it and made some mistakes along the way. Did not terminate the oats/wheat soon enough and did not fertilize with 0-20-20 in the spring. I was told to be patient with the Durana as it sometimes takes two years to get a good stand of it. It has definitely made it thru the summer in my pine rows and a couple of other places. Patch in some places and pretty good in some other places. I was told to fertilize with 0-20-20 in the fall (i'm in extreme south georgia) when is the correct time to apply this fertilizer (300 lbs per acre is what I've read is the correct amount to use?) Also was told to "over seed" with more durana and a light dose of cereal rye this fall. How do you over seed? Just broadcast it out over the existing clover? Do I need to light run my hare thru it? Looking form some advice on how to correctly maintain it from here.

Thanks

I would recommend a soil sample before you add any fertilizer, and I just broadcast when I over seed. You definitely don't want to cover the seed with dirt. Try spreading the seed right before a rain and it will do fine.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Here's a PIC or two of my 2015 fall planted durana in May of this year. This was a rye/durana plot in planted pines. I utilized about 3 lbs of durana on this 1/2 acre in the fall and top seeded another 2 lbs to fill in some light spots in March 2016. 0-20-20 at 300 lbs per acre is the norm for clover. Clover makes it's own nitrogen but loves a good dose of P and K every year. As stated, a soil sample would give you exactly what is required but 300 lbs of 0-20-20 or 200 lbs of 0-30-30 won't hurt. When you overseed and fertilize, and this fall will be fine in South Georgia, spread the rye and then come back with some additional durana. The rain will take care of the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_0794.JPG
    IMG_0794.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0799.JPG
    IMG_0799.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 15
Here's a PIC or two of my 2015 fall planted durana in May of this year. This was a rye/durana plot in planted pines. I utilized about 3 lbs of durana on this 1/2 acre in the fall and top seeded another 2 lbs to fill in some light spots in March 2016. 0-20-20 at 300 lbs per acre is the norm for clover. Clover makes it's own nitrogen but loves a good dose of P and K every year. As stated, a soil sample would give you exactly what is required but 300 lbs of 0-20-20 or 200 lbs of 0-30-30 won't hurt. When you overseed and fertilize, and this fall will be fine in South Georgia, spread the rye and then come back with some additional durana. The rain will take care of the rest.
Thanks for the tips. The durana is starting to get some blooms on it after i mowed it two weeks ago. When it was planted last year we had just done soil test and amended the soil as per the test. The photos you have of your plots are the goal.

With cooler weather just around the corner, the Durana will start to explode again. I would go ahead and overseed your plot. Add your fertilizer and by spring your plot will be what you anticipated.

I personally would use a drag on the overseed. You will get better seed soil contact.

I personally would use a drag on the overseed. You will get better seed soil contact.
Will the drag tear up the existing clover that is already growing in the plot?