Dugout wetland/watering hole

Jim Timber

5 year old buck +
Did some more earth moving today and found a surprise under my top soil.

The berm around the hole is higher than 18" to the bottom, but the actual depression is about knee deep. There's a ton of wood, roots, and grass in the berm, so that'll rot down in time.

This garden is along side our (eventual) driveway, so having a little water feature might be nice. For now I'm curious if it'll even hold water without some more fines added in the bottom.

Thoughts?

If it doesn't hold, I just need to add more of the top soil back into the bottom or a couple bags of bentonite. I had standing water for 7 days following a good rain in the spot I pointed to.

We'll find out. :)

It seems your ground is close to the water table so why not dig down a few more feet until you have standing water? The water table will always fluctuate but I would think you would be better off than trying to hold the water with bentonite or some sealer.

This spot is 10' below a spring "seep" and 20' above lake level.

If anything, I'd run a gravity feed down from the seep, as that currently discharges onto the neighbor's hillside.

The Mrs. planted this spot this morning. I can't do much to change it until those seeds either take or she gives up on them.

In other areas, there's so much clay and silt the "sand" turns into concrete when it dries.

We do have a lot of moisture in the ground here. You're spot on there.

The best part... RED BMW in the middle of the forest!!! HHEHEHE LOVE IT. Didn't expect that. Also looks amazing.

I actually traded a non-running (points were fouled and it wasn't sparking) 1977 Toro 8-32 riding lawn mower for that car. :D It's got 245Kmi IIRC and a lot of structural body rot (lost a chunk of wheel well driving it up to park it there). But it still runs like a champ, has a newer clutch, and it's like 125hp; so I figured the engine was worth something and there's a lot of parts (glass, interior, etc) that are easily parted out when it comes to that point. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do with it yet so it's staying intact.

Driving it up the hill was bumpy, but it did make it to that spot on it's own. :cool: The left rear tire's so bald it doesn't hold air (long) with wires sticking out of it, but it'll stay inflated enough to move the car under it's own power. :eek: :D

As suspected, it's not holding water. I have puddles on flatter higher adjacent ground, and this is low spot is very much drained. Oh well, more tractor loader play time for me. :)

As suspected, it's not holding water. I have puddles on flatter higher adjacent ground, and this is low spot is very much drained. Oh well, more tractor loader play time for me. :)
Like that's really going to bother you. Well you tried.

lol I have plenty of seat time projects lined up that I don't need more of them, but I had a feeling this wasn't going to work first-go at it as soon as I found the sand layer.

I'll just move some top soil from where the driveway is getting cut and dig out some more of that nice sand to replace it with.