Droptine Cedar Apple Rust

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Anybody have bad cedar apple rust in their area and own a droptine. My tree is young and I thought I removed all fruit this year. I missed a couple and they have the orange 5 o''clock shadow on them and deofrmed too.

I haven't seen my trees at camp to see if they have rust on them. They likely will not up there. I will likely be spraying for cedar apple rust in a few years once fruit production starts up at home.

Yes, that tree is horrible for CAR in my area. It sets lots of fruit, but the CAR gets so bad that the fruit just dries up on the tree and dies. It's one of the worst I've ever seen. Other good cultivars nearby are clean and nice. It's on my topwork list.

Enterprise and Liberty are both very CAR resistant varieties. Enterprise drops fruit after Liberty and is a better deer hunting tree because of that but still a bit early in my zone 6 area.

Roadkill looks like a nice one to have, running out of space at home though.......

I forgot which one was which in one of my foodplots up north, but one had some die back from the winter. Pretty sure it was a 30-06. That one tree is more shaded than the other 30-06.

The whitetail crab varieties looked like the cats meow a few years back, I removed multiples from my home orchard and replanted them by some farmland I hunt. It is doubtful if the tree is good for any human consumption, even if it is, maybe mixed in sauce or cider. So, they don't have to be good looking for that. It might be my fastest growing tree at home, crossbow is very close behind. Much better wood / structure growth with crossbow though.

Anybody have bad cedar apple rust in their area and own a droptine. My tree is young and I thought I removed all fruit this year. I missed a couple and they have the orange 5 o''clock shadow on them and deofrmed too.

I haven't seen my trees at camp to see if they have rust on them. They likely will not up there. I will likely be spraying for cedar apple rust in a few years once fruit production starts up at home.
Here you go Bigborebir. The first pic is Yates and the second is Droptine. Both pictures taken today.

IMG_4344.jpeg

IMG_4338.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4339.jpeg
    IMG_4339.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 4
Looks like I just started a topwork list myself..... I was keeping this tree as a scion donor for up north. Thinking I might be done with young trees up there after the grafts I am making this year are planted. If not, I have plenty of other good zone 3 stuff. Kerr, trailman, violi's, AWHO, winter wildlife, macoun, maybe franklin cider too.

You don't have a known variety has gets cedar apple rust as comparison. Got golden delicious at home. A local orchard makes the est fresh cider as uses golden delicious as a base. Make good pies there too. Did my homework on most of my trees. Glad my wife's 2 favorites are resistant macoun and empire. I checked a cedar apple rust list online, said williams pride is suspect to cedar apple rust. Williams leaves look good, and that tree came in pretty early this year. Pristine......... thought it was going to be the cats meow of early apples..... Rust all over the leaves, just dots though. No fruit yet on the 2 trees I have.