Dolgo hype

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
Is it worth it to plant a few Dolgos in NW Wisconsin? The plot is basically for deer, but I have several apple varieties I like to eat as well. I have Whitney, and Chestnuts planted to help pollinate. Is it worth it to also plant some Dolgos? My concern with them is they are an early blooming tree, and I am afraid in NW Wisconsin late frosts will prevent me from getting a crop off them. I am in Zone 3b/3. They also ripen so early, that they wont benefit the deer much, nor my hunting.

I planted 20 at one point. Extremely good soil and moisture. Half died even though they were protected. The so called 1.5" fruit was all hype, the largest fruit mine ever produced was 3/8". They were magnets for tent caterpillars and got tire of spraying with little result.

I have had better luck with wild plums.

My wife liked the flowers in the spring ...

They better not be just hype. I am getting 5 this spring to plant in 4b in WI.

From UW Madison Arboretum, Dolgo but zone 5a I think. Some of the fruit can be a bit oblong. This tree was looking like going downhill this year however. When I looked around down there 5 years ago, I specifically remember, wow those dolgos are really, really loaded.

DSC00103 (Medium).JPG

I'm in Pa. - camp is at border of zone 5 & 6. Our Dolgo's have fruit that looks like the pic above by Rocksnstumps. 1 1/2" ovals that are pretty tasty. Trees have given us no problems. Antonovka rootstocks.

Dolgos grow and produce fruit in Fairbanks, Alaska. I'm pretty sure they'll do just fine in NW WI. Will there be some years when they get hit by a late frost? Probably. There are years (like 2016) where the oaks around here got nailed with a late frost and there were zero acorns to be found. Does that mean oaks aren't worth having around?

My other question is, being they drop so early, early to mid summer, would they even benefit deer? Other then drawing them in mid summer? Being there is so much other forage in the woods at that time?

Didn't we discuss that some of these 'dolgos' people are getting are actually columbia?

It's all about your goals I suppose. If you want a tree to "hunt over" then dolgos aren't that great (neither is Whitney, they ripen and drop before dolgo). If you want a really hardy tree with few disease issues, that is a great pollination partner for other apples/crabs, that drops loads of fruit more years than not...then having a dolgo or two around isn't a bad idea.

Well that's disappointing. I ordered some Whitneys from Morse after being told they are their latest hanging crab often holding fruit in December.

We have a huge old dolgo in the farm yard in zone 3b, some years there are less fruit, but it has fruit every year. Most fruit drops just after labor day, and it holds some to the end of September. Pretty sure one of the our "wild" crabs I found is a dolgo seedling from that tree, fruit is similar size or and doesn't get as dark red. Deer hit it hard and it holds into late September. Wild crabs are rare in our area, as I have only found 2 for sure. The 2nd has a different fruit shape, and I just released it last year.

I will be doing a mass planting of 200+ dolgo seedlings this spring that I grew from seed last year. I plan on putting quite a few on concealed field edges or in woods openings that can be hunted early season.

Maybe just me, and I DO welcome being educated if the philosophy is flawed... but besides the trees providing food leading up to bow season in many states (and offering a nutritious food source in late summer / early fall) isn't another potential gain drawing and / or keeping does AND adult bucks focused on one's property leading up to season?

I ask as I see lots of comments critiquing various food sources if they happen to not be producing on into rut / gun seasons, but at the same time lots of land management writings speak to providing year round food as much as possible for both healthy development and numbers.

I sincerely ask the question as lots of planting that I've done over the last few years has been with the philosophy of providing food across as much of a timeline as possible versus taking the path of merely planting a fall kill plot alone.

Mike,

Depends on the situation and goals. Great to provide bedding and food all year round if you have enough space, time, and money to do so. Nothing wrong with trying to make one particular spot more huntable at a certain time either. More food or bedding in the wrong location or may not be desirable either. Comes down to what your plan is.

I have planted a few Dolgo but I put them in specific locations. Mainly the spots closest to hunting access. I figure by the time the season starts the apples will be gone and therefore deer willl not be near my access.