Dolgo Hang Time

Diesel5610

5 year old buck +
I have 5 Dolgo's that I bought from Hallman Farm's 4 or 5 years ago. I have been happy with the trees and their growth and this year they really threw decent apples. Bears have only ripped one branch off so far and I was thinking about picking the remaining apples off to prevent further damage. I do want to see how long the apples are going to hang for future reference. I was under the impression that Dolgos were an early crabapple and would drop in September. Mine all seem to be hanging tough right now, how long before they realistically drop on their own?

I suspect there are different strains of dolgo out there depending on supplier and if they use some seedlings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of what I was wondering. I have several crabs that hang well into winter and was hoping for an earlier dropper. Guess I will cross my fingers with the bears and wait and see how long before they drop.

Here in Zone 6A I was picking Dolgo's on August 1. Talk about an early apple. They were head-expanding sour but they were ripe I think.

Yea they looked ripe in late August but they are not dropping on their own. We finally had a frost a few days ago so maybe that will get them dropping.

Mine still hanging in Mo. I plucked one last wk and it was very firm and tart

Mine are still hanging strong, as usual. I am in the UP of Michigan.

When do yours usually drop James?

I’ll be honest, I haven’t paid that close of attention. My apples are in two orchards and they are currently fenced. I tend to stay away from them once our season starts (October 1). My trees are just starting to produce. What I do know is my Liberty and Honey Crisp are prime all October, Enterprise longer. (I have been checking the “eaters” from time to time). The crabs are prolific producers, but I don’t eat them. I will pay closer attention to my Dolgos in the future, even though I know drop times vary year to year.

My Liberty, Enterprise and Goldrush are about perfect in regard to dropping times for deer during hunting season. Unfortunately I can't rely on them every year. The Dolgos are new trees for me and look like they are going to be pretty reliable as far as producing every year. Previous years I have picked them off as a bear precaution so I really have no idea when they generally drop here.

I’ll be honest, I haven’t paid that close of attention. My apples are in two orchards and they are currently fenced. I tend to stay away from them once our season starts (October 1). My trees are just starting to produce. What I do know is my Liberty and Honey Crisp are prime all October, Enterprise longer. (I have been checking the “eaters” from time to time). The crabs are prolific producers, but I don’t eat them. I will pay closer attention to my Dolgos in the future, even though I know drop times vary year to year.

You are missing out if you don’t eat crab apples!

Mine had an off year, but the few Dolgo apples I did have fell off in August.

One friend commented that there might be confusion between Callaway crab and dolgo.

How long before Dolgo are planted to production,,,typically?

5-6 years for me with standard sized trees from SLN.

^^^^ Our Dolgo's from SLN started in year 4. But they seem to be a late August into mid Sept. crab for us. They're tart for sure, but I like the taste. They'll wake up your taste buds. Kind of a flavor explosion.

I had 8 apples on my Dolgo (from The Wildlife Group) the year after I planted it. Planted in early spring 2015, produced first time in 2016. I planted a Calloway from the same order that still hasn't produced a single apple. The Dolgo is covered in apples this yr and is still holding strong.

My grafted Dolgo from Cummins was a late Aug/early Sept. It's fruit got black rot last year and appeared to be developing a canker on the central leader. I cut it off at about 2ft last spring and bark grafted it to something later dropping.