Dolgo crabapple

So you're saying they are both Dolgo but that is the variation due to planting from seed rather than grafting? Were the original seeds from the same tree?
I am not Sandbur, but yes! I have found the same thing to be true.

Thanks!

If I have an unknown crab apple that I am planting from seed, will I know after the very first flower/fruiting to know what kind of apple to expect? Even if only one apple grows will that tell me what it will be like forever?

Thanks!

If I have an unknown crab apple that I am planting from seed, will I know after the very first flower/fruiting to know what kind of apple to expect? Even if only one apple grows will that tell me what it will be like forever?
Yes, but that could take 12-15 years.

Yes, but that could take 12-15 years.

Or it could be much faster. I grew some crabapples from seed. I started them in the winter under lights in 18s and did 2 transplants into 1 and then 3 gal RB2s in the first growing season and planted them in the field the next fall. Of about 8 trees, one of them had some crabapples on it during the second growing season. I'm guessing that was fairly unusual, but it can happen.

With most of the crabs I'm growing from seed, I'm grafting them in the field to a known variety but leaving a nurse branch. It will serve as a pollinator and eventually I'll see what kind of apples that seedling produces. If I particularly like the characteristics, that nurse branch will become a scion source for other seedlings or clonal rootstock depending on the situation.

Thanks,

Jack

Dolgo seedling still holding apples. Notice the thick limbs as compared to next post.View attachment 12279

Maya, I know this tree needs some pruning and It got a little!

Sandbur--Dolgos drop late on your farm, I was thinking it was a early crab?

I have ordered from Wallace-Woodstock Nursery and had good luck. It might be hard to find good pricing this late in the year though.

With most of the crabs I'm growing from seed, I'm grafting them in the field to a known variety but leaving a nurse branch. It will serve as a pollinator and eventually I'll see what kind of apples that seedling produces. If I particularly like the characteristics, that nurse branch will become a scion source for other seedlings or clonal rootstock depending on the situation.

That's my plan too. Since I know these can survive the winters here my hope is the worst case scenario is it will provide a good rootstock, even if it is of an unknown variety. Currently I have 21 that have sprouted.

Or it could be much faster. I grew some crabapples from seed. I started them in the winter under lights in 18s and did 2 transplants into 1 and then 3 gal RB2s in the first growing season and planted them in the field the next fall. Of about 8 trees, one of them had some crabapples on it during the second growing season. I'm guessing that was fairly unusual, but it can happen.

Thanks,

Jack
He is in MN and Canada, I bet he is closer to 15 than 2

Sandbur--Dolgos drop late on your farm, I was thinking it was a early crab?

I have two grafted dolgos and they usually drop their fruit about Labor day. These trees I have pictured are dolgo seedlings.

That's my plan too. Since I know these can survive the winters here my hope is the worst case scenario is it will provide a good rootstock, even if it is of an unknown variety. Currently I have 21 that have sprouted.

And even if the varieties you top work them with don't survive, you will still have a tree that will eventually produce something and you can keep top working them as necessary until you are happy with the hardiness of the varieties you graft.

Thanks,

Jack