Dogwood cutting question

KDdid

5 year old buck +
Over the winter I stuck scores of dogwood cuttings in between trees, in marshy areas, creek banks, etc..
Now that they are all leafing out, should I worry about the leafy tops overwhelming the still forming roots. I’ve seen others cutting the tips back to one or two leaf buds for this reason, and I’m sure that the specific site makes a difference (wetter soils not being as critical).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’ve never cut any back. But it would send more energy to the roots. Just need some leaves for photosynthesis.

I’ve planted enough that I don’t mind experimenting a bit. I think I’ll do some both ways in a variety of soil types/moisture levels, and let the cuttings tell me what they prefer.

What length and diameter is best for cuttings? I found an ocean of red twig dogwood, and I'm keen to plant a couple hundred of cuttings. If I go by the two buds above ground and two buds below, I will have some very short cuttings.

The ones that are leafing out the best are the smaller ones, from the tips. Time will tell if they form roots before running out of energy. I cut them all different lengths, but the larger diameter ones (3/8”) are leafing out slowly.

What length and diameter is best for cuttings? I found an ocean of red twig dogwood, and I'm keen to plant a couple hundred of cuttings. If I go by the two buds above ground and two buds below, I will have some very short cuttings.

I think that recommendation is for when planting in a controlled environment like a green house. I like cuttings at least 6 to 8 inches or longer. The more in the ground the better with 2 buds above ground. This gives much more root than leaf.

KDdid,
If leaves are growing so are roots. Don't pull one out all the roots will break. But if you dug one and washed away the dirt I bet there are lots of white hair like roots starting.

I recently purchased a yellow twig dogwood. I cut a few cuttings 6”-9” with most having buds.

I had a few that did not have any buds and I just went ahead and propagated them as well. Due to not having buds is this just futile to try?

what about the branching parts? cut them off?

I think that recommendation is for when planting in a controlled environment like a green house. I like cuttings at least 6 to 8 inches or longer. The more in the ground the better with 2 buds above ground. This gives much more root than leaf.

KDdid,
If leaves are growing so are roots. Don't pull one out all the roots will break. But if you dug one and washed away the dirt I bet there are lots of white hair like roots starting.

I gathered some hybrid poplar cuttings from a local golf course and stuck those into a bucket of water. I was amazed by how fast they grew roots, and I’ve since transplanted them to the field. They now have about 1” leaves on them.

I have some where I planted the entire end of a branch, with multiple limbs. Some of these have leaves popping on every branch.

f8fdebe7004d76261c138ae8f5b65521.jpg

Last edited:
Once a dogwood is starting to bud and leaf out is it to late to do cuttings from it? My dogwood patch is just starting to break. Logger made a nice mess out of part of my dogwood patch. I am tempted to cut a bunch of cuttings and stick them in the newly exposed mud. If to I will just wait until next yea.

I cut off everything and leave a cutting that is about a foot long, I use everything from pencil size to 3/4". When planting I'll leave a couple inches of the cutting above the ground. I use a weed barrier on maybe only 20% of the cutting I do the other 80% I just stick in the ground. The way I look at it is the cuttings were free and I only have some time into it.

Hybrid willow cuttings last year, this year I went back through and stuck some ROD in there.

xPrIVG3.jpg

I recently purchased a yellow twig dogwood. I cut a few cuttings 6”-9” with most having buds.

I had a few that did not have any buds and I just went ahead and propagated them as well. Due to not having buds is this just futile to try?
From my understanding it has to have some buds to work. Two above ground two below. One and one may work. But None won’t.

Last edited:
Would have been better if there were buds. But if there are exposed nodes "ring around the bark" a branch may

From my understanding it has to have some buds to work. Two above ground two below. One and one may work. But None won’t.
Thanks for the info. Not too many so no time wasted

I got some cut for the side of my house. New neighbor is a real lunatic. Hopefully a new hedge will help.

Attachments

• 20180506_123220.jpg
    20180506_123220.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 14
28bdc0a0fc57098980af02bc2aab063d.jpg

Here’s the size that are doing the best-about 1/4” at the base. I tried to get at least 15” or so in the ground.

THORNS!?!!

20180506_190423.jpg

I recently planted yellow and silky dogwoods. Those did not have thorns on them.

Not sure what that is but it should keep a pesky neighbor from crossing your property line.

I thought they were roots, but they are pokey as all getout. Google isn't helping me. Has anyone seen this before?

Last edited:
They look exactly like some red raspberry stalks in my patch! Are these the same cuttings from the previous photo?