All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yellow Twig Dogwood

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
Years ago, when I first started experimenting with rootmaker containers, I purchased the first few containers from John at BigRock. Soon after, I started experimenting with cuttings. The first I tried was elderberries. Even though they are easy, I missed some basic concepts and did not have much success. John provided some excellent guidance and BigEight from this forum was kind enough to send me a bunch of elderberry cuttings in the middle of winter. In the end, I had great success with Elderberry.

John sent me some freebies with my orders. On one order he sent me a few yellow twig dogwood cuttings. They did not fit into my wildlife management plan since we have a lot of native browse but I needed the practice with cutting so I gave them a try. I had good success with them and my wife loved them as a landscaping plant around the yard. Those first few cuttings produced plants and I took more cuttings from them and so on each year. I just started cuttings this year.

I start these a bit differently than most. I take the cuttings normally with two buds above and two below the medium. I use rooting hormone #3 on them. I put them in 5" root trapper bags. I put the bags in my cold room (kept above freezing) for a few weeks. I put them on heating pads so the medium warms to encourage root development but keep the tops cold so they don't break dormancy. I then bring them indoors, put them under lights, and let them break dormancy and grow.

Thanks,

Jack

I planted a couple of yellowtwig late this summmer. The deer hammered them instantly so I caged them. Thinking about moving them closer to the house to minimize browsing and let them grow enough to establish.
My question is; do they like wet feet? I have a couple boggy spots that would look good filled with this stuff.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

John would know. I'm not sure. Mine get plenty of water but are not in wet areas. I know elderberries can handle wet feet.

Thanks,

Jack

Alright. I'm going to go ahead and move them. I did some Internet research after I asked and I think they will make it. Never really liked where I put them anyway.
I established elderberry last yr. I'll put cuttings from those in the boggy areas too, just to see if I can get some interesting thickets.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I like them. The ones I planted amongst other shrubs for bedding have done well. Planted upland not in a wet spot.