Do you have any extra's?

Paul, I did the scions. Thanks. For Craigslist, I've seen posts on all the local areas around here. I would suggest you post on Ithaca, Binghamton, Elmira/Corning, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Thanks I am going to give that a try for sure. Good luck grafting

Paul - Williamsport Craigslist too. I know a fair amount of folks that head north from the Williamsport area to the Canton area for apples each fall. They also hit the Wine / Cheese festival in Canton every fall too. They like the ride, fall colors, apples, cider, etc. all together on the weekend !!

Wooduck- are you making hard cider or just selling juice?
No hard cider here for sales , but have been enjoying my own for some time , real easy use a vapor lock and juice at room temps. you will have hard in about 6 days or let it go and real apple cider vinegar , even the vinegar has value over and above juice price . Sat in at the Minnesota apple growers meetings and the talk turned to ciders , speaker was David Bedford the universities apple expert he really talked up the frostbite, chessnut crab , inclusion in ciders , We mix some in every batch . In fact we have enough demand for chessnut that we lined out 100 new trees last year , years prior we only had them interspersed in the blocks for pollination and picked what we had and sold out , people drive 50 miles to get them after a call to confirm supply .

Hey Wooduck how big is your orchard. Do you have a website ? Seems you can be teaching us a lot here. We are all ears. I had my cider in 3rd fermentation until yesterday when I bottled it. Started that batch in October. I even bottled 3 750 ml bottles still to see how that will taste I also have a batch of 100% Honeycrisp apples which always very nice when I bottled it but looking forward to tasting it carbonated which is my preference . I made a total of about 12 gallons of hard cider this year and so if anyone is passing through PA stop bye for one or 2 or..... They are reasonably priced at FREE!!!!!!

Bows I go to that festival every year and my wife even comes to the farm for that lol. It's a great time and I will definitely try Williamsport Craigslist as well. Maybe I have even seen you there lol. Went in the rain last year and still had a ball. Do you ever buy any trees from any of the conservation district seedling sales? Sullivan and Susquehanna Counties usually have good varieties. I have bought tons of trees from them. They get theirs from Adams County and Boyer Nurseries and Sullivan county price for each tree when you buy 10 is 13.50 and 15 for quantity of 1. Can't beat those prices. You just have to pick up. Let me know if interested or google them and you can see their order form online

Last edited:
No hard cider here for sales , but have been enjoying my own for some time , real easy use a vapor lock and juice at room temps. you will have hard in about 6 days or let it go and real apple cider vinegar , even the vinegar has value over and above juice price . Sat in at the Minnesota apple growers meetings and the talk turned to ciders , speaker was David Bedford the universities apple expert he really talked up the frostbite, chessnut crab , inclusion in ciders , We mix some in every batch . In fact we have enough demand for chessnut that we lined out 100 new trees last year , years prior we only had them interspersed in the blocks for pollination and picked what we had and sold out , people drive 50 miles to get them after a call to confirm supply .

Does Bedford do the selecting of U of M trees to save or propagate? Has he considered some selection for ciders instead of just table apple?

Third question Do you know if they are doing much with apples at Grand Rapids anymore? they used to have the North Central Experiemental Station up there and a bit of an apple program. (95-96 at least).

Yes Bedford does do some selecting with staff input Jim Luby and others most apples u of m chosen for release are reviewed heavily within the u , then some experimental trees are distributed thru established orchards spread out geographically , differing soils and locations and evaluated , lots of apples released as nursery numbers and never commercialized also , Sweetango was released as mn1914 initially , new one out now mn55 no commercial name yet but probably this fall to catch the hype , have heard some whispers of one mn1984 that's in very early evaluation now . They have probably placed everything at Grand Rapids for hardiness studies and use that for weather stress more so than breeding work . no knowledge of on going cider apple work by the u .

Has anyone tried Kinder Krisp for cider?
Whitney and Kinder Krisp were my fastest growing grafts from last year.

I never heard of Kinder crisp what kind of Apple is it

I never heard of Kinder crisp what kind of Apple is it
Jung's sells it. I would say slightly bigger than a chestnut with a good snap and has HC in it's background. Claimed to be zone 3 hardy by Jungs and by some other experienced apple guys.
An orchard owner in a small town near where I work developed it.

I have tried the apple twice and I like it.

Paul - I used to buy seedlings from the Lycoming Co. district, but haven't in recent years. I get some seedlings from the Pa. Game Comm. - but not apples. I get Washington hawthorn, silky dogwood, white spruce, etc. from them. All the apples and crabs I've gotten in the last 4 years have been from ACN, SLN, and Cummins. I have more on the way for this spring.

I haven't been to the apple / cheese festival for some years now, so I probably haven't been there when you were there. But I still intend to get up to your patch very soon - I have your info in my truck !! I'll PM you in advance so I don't miss you if you're up there. Phil@sidehill wants to come to my camp this spring to check out our mess. That'll be a good time !!

Thanks Sandbar. The count conservation districts sell the same apple trees that Adams county and Boyer produce but at lower price as they get volume discount. You should give them a try if they have any varieties you like Bows

Has anyone tried Kinder Krisp for cider?
Whitney and Kinder Krisp were my fastest growing grafts from last year.
Have 50 kindercrisp to plant this year ,sandbur was your experience with it just like honeycrisp but a smaller version ?

You are going to see an explosion of different honeycrisp crosses from ever major apple breeder nation wide , The reason desert apples get the limelight in breeding is money , Honeycrisp in its peak was well over $120.00 bu retail , everyone wants to catch the next big thing , we retail Sweetango at the orchard at $2.80 per lb , cider apples at retail if you get the right person might bring $15.00 bu . Even the hard cider heirloom apples may bring no more than that hard to justify labor on a large scale for those prices , That's why I like coming here you guys are not concerned about the money end of apples , you enjoy the apples for the challenge and to experience the different varieties.

Wooduck what do you do? Any website for your orchard?

Have 50 kindercrisp to plant this year ,sandbur was your experience with it just like honeycrisp but a smaller version ?

You are going to see an explosion of different honeycrisp crosses from ever major apple breeder nation wide , The reason desert apples get the limelight in breeding is money , Honeycrisp in its peak was well over $120.00 bu retail , everyone wants to catch the next big thing , we retail Sweetango at the orchard at $2.80 per lb , cider apples at retail if you get the right person might bring $15.00 bu . Even the hard cider heirloom apples may bring no more than that hard to justify labor on a large scale for those prices , That's why I like coming here you guys are not concerned about the money end of apples , you enjoy the apples for the challenge and to experience the different varieties.

I think saying they were like HC might be pretty close.
You should go over to Fairhaven in Sept. and try some.

Wooduck what do you do? Any website for your orchard?
Yes we do have a web site and are fruit growers full time ,, jakesappleshack.com ,, our focus on apples are pick your own , and on farm sales . My wife and I started in the fruit business 16 years ago now with pick your own strawberries, raspberries, blueberries we work at it full time . Out son bought some land adjacent to our operation 10 years ago and started the apple business and of coarse we work together as any family based operation would.

Really enjoy the forum for the apple input , low spray, grafting , scion exchange, root stock discussions , from a very diverse group that's spread out geographically and have learned and gave me some differing insights on how to approach trees.

Oh by the way did I mention I do deer hunt and enjoy wildlife all over the farm , have a weakness for wooducks and house and watch them all summer .

Last edited:
I think saying they were like HC might be pretty close.
You should go over to Fairhaven in Sept. and try some.
The reason for the inquiry was to get your opinion of the apple , I have had Kindercrisp and do know David Macgregor the owner at Fairhaven not well , met at an apple meeting . I think Kindercrisp is an excellent apple for many reasons one being flavor, also smaller sized usually makes consuming one much easier with other foods children can handle it well without waste . We started two years ago to sort off our smalls for lunch box sized apples and actually charge the same as number ones . Our focus on more Kindercrisp is to chase that market more including school lunch programs.

Yes we do have a web site and are fruit growers full time ,, jakesappleshack.com ,, our focus on apples are pick your own , and on farm sales . My wife and I started in the fruit business 16 years ago now with pick your own strawberries, raspberries, blueberries we work at it full time . Out son bought some land adjacent to our operation 10 years ago and started the apple business and of coarse we work together as any family based operation would.

Really enjoy the forum for the apple input , low spray, grafting , scion exchange, root stock discussions , from a very diverse group that's spread out geographically and have learned and gave me some differing insights on how to approach trees.

Oh by the way did I mention I do deer hunt and enjoy wildlife all over the farm , have a weakness for wooducks and house and watch them all summer .
Thanks I was starting to wonder if hi were dodging my question. If so then we would have thought you were Charley Morse from Michigan lol. Not many on here have nice things to say about him. I will check your website and was wondering where you buy your cider containers and wher I might get the best price for a quantity around 500. Great to have you here and looking forward to your inputs as we do from Maya ( George is his real name) who has a for profit orchard in Vermont He has been a big help to many here and I am learning a lot from him even tho he is still disguising himself as a post man lol

Paul