Dismal plot results

foggy

5 year old buck +
In June I planted some RR soybeans into about two acres of plots. Fertilized well and treated the weeds with roundup twice. Deer liked the beans.

Later in July......I seeded a mix of PTT, DER, GHR and some Medium red clover into these plots. Not much resulted of the overseeding.....despite a timely rainfall and good conditions. Figured SOMETHING would grow and come of this effort. Not much really happened, except the beans improved and weeds grew.

Kinda wonder what caused poor germination? Never had an issue with theses seeds before. A few spots seemed to work out O.K....but I suppose 70% of the area is quite poor. Could the Roundup have had some carryover?

Poor seed to soil contact....the seeds didn't get pushed down in the dirt very well would be my primary guess. Second would be bad seed. Roundup is pretty good about not having any carryover effect.

I agree with seed to soil. With all the rain in most of northern MN this year, I would imagine your soil surface could be pretty hard after that time frame.

I agree with seed to soil. With all the rain in most of northern MN this year, I would imagine your soil surface could be pretty hard after that time frame.
I supose......just never had such a poor result from these seed types. Even had some rye that did not grow. Baffling.

o_OMaybe your plots got the ebola.

I think Dipper put a hex on me for tilling too much. ;)

I did a broadcast plot for a guy a few years back. The field had been fallow sod for 40 years. He made the mistake of not trusting me, due to conventional "till" mentality. He Comprimised on a 1/3rd of the plot. 2/3rds of the plot was a failure because he wanted all the organic material removed. I charged him $90/hour to remove that dead sod a 3 pt. quacker. Needless to say his side of the plot didn't germinate. My 1/3 which was the same rye oats brassicas, flourished.
The next year I chargered him $95/hour because he wanted the organic material back.
The expensive lesson-broadcasted seed germinates better when it is cover with organic material.

Foggy your gonna have a pretty good brassica plot next spring. By summers end there will be some decent clover depending on what your seed rate was.
This is just me......but......you would have a good place to drill oats into next spring. A conventional drill will be fine. If you want to add organic material, include sorghum Sudan grass.
This time next year you will be sitting pretty. I promise to lay off the voo doo doll!

Foggy your gonna have a pretty good brassica plot next spring. By summers end there will be some decent clover depending on what your seed rate was.
This is just me......but......you would have a good place to drill oats into next spring. A conventional drill will be fine. If you want to add organic material, include sorghum Sudan grass.
This time next year you will be sitting pretty. I promise to lay off the voo doo doll!
Grin. I wondered how long it would take you to respond. ;) I got all winter to plan the plots for next season.

Tom-Are they eating the beets, yet? Bulbs or just leaves?

My first suggestion is not to over seed into beans with a mix and only us a single seed type. I have had better success only using PTT alone than when paired with other seeds. I would also never broadcast rye over an established bean plot. When broadcasting grain seeds use a disc instead of a tiller. It will leave the soil rougher, and after you broadcast you can go over with a chain harrow and get the proper seed cover creating a smooth bed.

Tom-Are they eating the beets, yet? Bulbs or just leaves?

Been eating the leaves for several weeks.......and just started to nibble on a few bulbs in the last few days. I think we need a hard freeze to sweeten the bulbs. Timing should be good for rifle season.

Been eating the leaves for several weeks.......and just started to nibble on a few bulbs in the last few days. I think we need a hard freeze to sweeten the bulbs. Timing should be good for rifle season.
I hope you are right!