Direct Seeding Maple Trees

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
I would like to add some maple trees to our land, have access to silver, sugar and the brush type (can't think of name) seeds, in ours and neighbors yard. I believe that the silvers you can just stick in the ground, however I think that the sugar are supposed to go through stratification. I don't see much talk of maples on here but their fall colors cant be beat IMO. I planned on getting some seedlings next year but have access to free seed, so I might try some just to see what happens. Anyone tried it before?

I don't really have access to any seedlings other than buying them. But have access to an endless amount of seeds, so I thought I would at least make an attempt. So in nature the sugar maples do have to go through stratification, would you want to just scatter them around on the ground or would you want to lightly bury them. Or would it be best to store them over winter and try to plant in spring. I will try a couple of silvers by sticking them in the ground this year, pretty sure that they don't need the cold cycle.

Might as well plant them now. If they were out all winter then they'd have been stratified. I'd bury the seeds. Maybe 1/2" under the soil. Maybe soak them for a few hours too.

I'd plant them in clumps of 4-5 seeds in pie plate size circle. They'll grow up together in a clump. Then when they get 8' tall trim them out to a single tree. That should get them having a straighter trunk.

Ok there lies my next question do they need to stay moist through the stratification period, because the ones on the ground now are quite dehydrated.

I've been questioned before why I plant maples. Being from the same area as you, we are both deprived of the fall colors of reds and oranges. We are planting bare root 2-3' sugar maples this year as well as autumn blaze plugs. Hope to create some beauty out there to enjoy. It may not be great for deer, but it'll serve a purpose, and that is to make me happy!

As to your question, I wouldn't know a thing about what to do, but if I had all the seed available I would broadcast now and they can get a year to stratify over this next winter. They should remain on the ground and lie dormant right? Do you gather all your seed or do you have a source for some?

I've been questioned before why I plant maples. Being from the same area as you, we are both deprived of the fall colors of reds and oranges. We are planting bare root 2-3' sugar maples this year as well as autumn blaze plugs. Hope to create some beauty out there to enjoy. It may not be great for deer, but it'll serve a purpose, and that is to make me happy!

As to your question, I wouldn't know a thing about what to do, but if I had all the seed available I would broadcast now and they can get a year to stratify over this next winter. They should remain on the ground and lie dormant right? Do you gather all your seed or do you have a source for some?

Yea that is the only real reason I am planning on getting some, is just to dress up the landscape a bit. My yard has 2 big silvers and some armurs, my neighbor has a very nice sugar. The silvers grew in my gutter one year. Pretty sure that red and silver will grow up there, not sure how the sugars will do.

I am planning on doing some of the autumn blaze next year (cross of red and silver). Did you get them from NCR.

Sugars are all over town here in TRF so I would think they will. I've seen one in town in Middle River as well so hopes are high that they will do alright.

Yep, got both sugar and autumn blaze from NCR. I got 100 coming of the autumn blaze, figured go a little heavy and take advantage of the price breaks as I'm splitting with a coworker.

I've got a few maples in the yards in town. Every year I have them growing in the evestroughs & up next to the house like weeds.

Yea that is the only real reason I am planning on getting some, is just to dress up the landscape a bit. My yard has 2 big silvers and some armurs, my neighbor has a very nice sugar. The silvers grew in my gutter one year. Pretty sure that red and silver will grow up there, not sure how the sugars will do.

I am planning on doing some of the autumn blaze next year (cross of red and silver). Did you get them from NCR.

Probably a good idea to avoid the Amur maples:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestrialplants/woody/amurmaple.html

DSC08371.JPG

Deer browse sugar maple for sure but how preferred is it?

As seen above, I have carpets of it that look untouched. 5-8 deer to sq mile here but I would think they would do some damage.

Deer browse red maple hard around here.

I bought an Autumnspire Red maple from a nursery here in Pa. It is a selection from Northern Minnesota ( the original seed source ) and is a male clone so it throws no samaras ( seed helicopters ). But it is rated for northern Minn. and over into Canada. It turns bright red in fall - the reason I chose it. It grows upright in an oval shape - not a column - but it doesn't spread into a round shape like most maples.

Other good maples for color are Autumn Blaze, October Glory, Red Sunset, Sun Valley, & Brandywine. These are if you want trees to enjoy before 20-30 yrs. from now. Just letting you know that these are grown for their color. As far as seeds go - they sprout around here like weeds. Sugars, silvers and reds mainly, but hybrids are all thru the neighborhoods. I notice some seeds sprout the same year as they fall to the ground. Not sure which ones.

I get maple trees to grow just fine from seed......in my gutters!!!!! Maple in my area are fairly prolific and very common as well. They should also transplant well if you can find the smaller ones.