All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

digger/cultivator

Red

5 year old buck +
Anyone out there use a digger/cultivator for plotting? My uncle called the other day and said he found one for a good price and was wondering if I wanted it. I don't know if I do or don't.
Where would I use one? I currently use a disc for most soil prep. Or a plow then disc if need be. This works pretty well. Would a digger be of use to me or would it just be buying something that sits in the weeds?

It could potentially replace your moldboard plow, and possibly be better for your soil, as long as you don't have rock hard clay. It really depends on what type it is? The style of tines would make a difference.

Thats my primary plot tool. My moldboard hasnt been hooked up for a few years.

Thanks. Why is it better than a moldboard?
Also, which style tine is preferred? My soil is a decent loam, no clay.

Last curve ball, if I get a tiller, will a digger still be a useful tool to have?

Anyone out there use a digger/cultivator for plotting? My uncle called the other day and said he found one for a good price and was wondering if I wanted it. I don't know if I do or don't.
Where would I use one? I currently use a disc for most soil prep. Or a plow then disc if need be. This works pretty well. Would a digger be of use to me or would it just be buying something that sits in the weeds?

I use a 6 or 7 foot John Deere cultivator with my old Ford Tractor and it works great. It has 2 rows of shanks that are spring loaded. it's much heavier duty than the food plot cultivators/diggers that I've seen for sale new lately and it was a lot cheaper - I believe I paid $400 for it. It digs deeper than a disc and seems to do a much better job of breaking up sod. If you can get a good deal on it you might as well try it out and see what you think. You can never have too many toys.

It also works well at bringing up rocks - my disc just seems to float over the top of the rocks but the digger picks them up so I can collect them easier.

A moldboard will destroy your organic matter quickly by turning it completely under a lot of dirt. A cultivator will dig under the surface to loosen the soil, but doesn't really "turn over" the soil like a traditional moldboard plow. Google a couple videos of field cultivating and you will see what I am talking about.

Also, my digger/cultivator is a 3 point model, which allows me to get into tight spots. I can also easily set the depth that it digs, so if it's pulling hard I can just raise it up an inch or two if needed.

I know Ford used to make some old 1 row digger/cultivators and you can find them occasionally for around $200. They're pretty nice, but I think a cultivator with 2 rows will work much better if your tractor can pull it. .

My 12' digger sits in the weeds. All they do is pull up rocks in my opinion and they don't work well with trash in the field. If you have a disk already I would save your money.
Also a digger is different than a row cultivator just so you know.

My 12' digger sits in the weeds. All they do is pull up rocks in my opinion and they don't work well with trash in the field. If you have a disk already I would save your money.
Also a digger is different than a row cultivator just so you know.

Funny stuff. ^ I have a disk harrow, a flexible link drag harrow, a landscape rake, and a roto-tiller......all of which can provide tillage and fit my three point. Even owned a nice 2 bottom plow for a while - which is useless for my land. Still.....I think a good field digger would be the ticket for minimum-tillage in many of my existing plots. Some of us just want to try it all. ;)

I have some nice lawn ornaments. 3 btm plow, JD digger, Oliver disc, 1 btm plow, atv disc, JD tractor, don't use any of them. I upgraded equiptment and now the other stuff just sits there.

All they do is pull up rocks in my opinion

And thats not a bad thing. Makes picking rocks a lot easier. You cant just ignore them all.

I should have a rock picking land tour cause I can't keep up with them. It's maybe easier on small plots but I plant acres and it takes more time than I have.

I love my three point digger. Works great if the soil is alittle wet and won't ball up like a disk. Depends alot on what type of ground you use it on. Does not handle trash well. Growing up all we used was a digger/fieild cultivator heavy black dirt and peat.

^^^gotta get you one of those skidsteers with a rock bucket :D
Every year I watch the guys over by Upsala/Holdingford picking rocks...some years it looks like there's more rock than soil

If they want to get rid of them, I have just the spot! :D

Thanks for all the replies. My uncle is going to get me some pictures of it so I know what kind it is. If it's in decent shape, I'll probably get it just to try out.

I finally got some photos of it. It looks more heavy duty and in better condition than what I expected. Told my uncle to pick it up for me. Heading back up to the farm in a couple weeks and I'll be able to check it out then.
Digger 2.jpg
Digger 1.jpg

That is a decent looking unit, great find!

Every piece of equipment has it's place. If the price is right and you can swing it, go for it. If you find it doesn't work for you, sell it.

Same digger I have love it! Heavier than most diggers out there.

Is that an old road grader in the background?? Some of those are pretty good stuff too.....if you can find an operator to sit on the seat and adjust stuff correctly (and add ballast).