Deere Corn planters, which type?

John-W-WI

Administrator
I'm in the market for a 4 row deere corn planter for next spring.

In the past I've borrowed a 7100 series planter like this one:
7100 style planter.JPG

A single drive wheel turns all of the row units. Its always worked well for me, but it seems like there are a LOT of chains and sprockets that could fail.

The 71 Flex series has a drive wheel for each row unit, like this:
71 Style corn planter.JPG

Which style do you recommend?

Is it feasible to put fertilizer on a 4 row unit like these? I sure hate going to get a cart with 1000 lbs of urea on it for small acreage.

Other considerations:
My ground is ROCKY. I need the row units to 'float' over rocks as much as possible (rather than breaking).

I have a capability to build some/most of the planter (less the row units) so if there is a cheaper option I could just buy row units and build the rest. The used market on Deere row units seems to have driven the price up a LOT for used units.

Maybe buy some yetter units like these instead?:
Yetter.jpg

Thanks for any input.

-John

1. How much money do you want to spend??
2. And how wide of rows do you want??
3. What type of soil do you have??

I would suggest getting a JD 7000 wide row- 4 row. A lot of them come with fert already on them. If they have been taken care of they are damn near bullet proof. They will handle your rocks just fine. Since you are going to have 36-38" between the rows you can do some type of "other" crop between. Maybe some beans or brassica later in the season. With a planter like this you will have a wide range of population capability and if you buy it its not like you will lose your ass. You can almost always get your money back out of it. It doesnt take much HP to pull.

You would need to be careful with how much fert you apply depending on soil type.

BTW, I plant my farm with a 7000 planter. I will be home later. I am sure you will have more questions.

Here is what they typically go for: I plant with 6 row 30".
http://www.haukosbros.com/inventory...31623&etid=1&dlr=1&catid=1123&manu=John Deere

PICT0046.JPG

I would like to keep it under $5k if possible. If I built most of it, hopefully less (excluding material costs).

I have only ever planted 30" rows. I get free seed every year from a farmer friend, so seed is no consideration. Different row spacing would be an option, I don't have a strong opinion on it.

Most of the ground I plant corn on is Chetek Sandy Loam 2 - 6 % slope (CkB), some of it is Amery sandy loam 2 - 6% slope (AIB)

It appears (without a LOT of searching) that row units can be had for $750 - $1000 each. 4 rows x $750 = $3k

A 3 point unit would be ideal for maneuverability but not a must have.

Your corn looks great, plenty of fert on there!

Thanks,

-John

If you are gonna go with a 4 row wide 7000 model it will almost certainly not be 3pt. That should not be a deal breaker though. They certainly are easy enough to back into corners, etc. I would be shocked if you looked for the next ten months and couldnt find something that was 100% field ready for less than $3,500. If you keep it greased, oiled, and in a shed it will last you forever. All you would have to do is write a check and start planting.

As for your soil you would have to be careful how much fertility you provide with the planter in that soil type unless you were to move the fertilizer placement further from the seed. Most 7000 are set up to plant 2x2. 2" away and 2" below the seed. In coarse soil like sand you can burn your seed. Your N is better put on once the crop is growing in sand anyways. That way there is not as much chance you will lose it.

Thanks BuckSoutherland....

How would I apply N after it is already growing? Spray, injector, other? (forgive my ignorance).

I did find a couple 4 row planters that are local and the price is right. The price is so right, I'm guessing they need a little work. But that's ok too I guess.

http://www.tractorcentral.com/used_equipment.php?tc_stock_num=147103&mode=item&machine_id=4070610

http://www.tractorcentral.com/used_equipment.php?tc_stock_num=146076&mode=item&machine_id=4055637

There are lots of ways to do N. On my farm I put roughly 50% on as urea and AMS ahead of field cultivator, another 15-20% as DAP with the planter and the rest is broadcast across the top as urea and AMS.

1. If you are going to have fairly sizeable plots you could use a pull-type spreader and broadcast urea treated with agrotain across the surface. This gives you a ten day window to hook a rain to incorporate it. You will run down some corn, but you dont need to get into every little corn as N will move with water, especially in coarse soil. In this case make sure to plant straight as possible and maybe put some other crop in for the end rows.

2. You could use anhydrous ammonia, which is probably out of the question for food plotting, but would be the cheapest source of N.

3. You could apply liquid 28%, but u have to run it with drops so it doesnt hit the leaves as it will burn the leave tissue. It is best injected into the ground. You can dribble it across the surface, but then will need an inhibitor like Instinct to keep it from volatilizing.

4. You could broadcast a newer product called ESN, which is a slow release nitrogen. You would put this out before planting and incoporate it into the soil with your tillage pass. It doesnt break down with water, but with soil temp. Takes all summer for it to breakdown, but its expensive compared to the rest.

http://www.soils.wisc.edu/extension/materials/NTimingSources.pdf

Generally speaking your soil is supposed to be able to hold your CEC x 10 lbs of N at one time. SO if you CEC is 15 you should be able to hold 150# N at one time. With the heavy spring rains of the last 5-7 years that is very untrue if you ask me. You are a better steward of the land to split apply. Your crop wont need much until its waist high.

N uptake.PNG

I'll have to digest that a little Bucks...

I put a watch on CraigsList for 4 row planters... and this showed up tonight:
http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/grd/5097500380.html

Not the style we are talking about, but the price is righ.

-John

I'll have to digest that a little Bucks...

I put a watch on CraigsList for 4 row planters... and this showed up tonight:
http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/grd/5097500380.html

Not the style we are talking about, but the price is righ.

-John
That's the planter I have. The fertilizer boxes and augers are typically rusted out on these but they do a good job. Rows are 36 inches which is great for overseeding. Normal price on these is around 400-500 bucks.

John
Get a 4 row flex 71. It can be done on a 3 pt.

I know a guy near Owatonna that has flex 71 row units for $350 each. You just need the draw bar/3 pt and you are set.

Super simple row width adjustments too.

I LOVE my flex 71 2 row set up. So simple to use and maintain.

John
Get a 4 row flex 71. It can be done on a 3 pt.

I know a guy near Owatonna that has flex 71 row units for $350 each. You just need the draw bar/3 pt and you are set.

Super simple row width adjustments too.

I LOVE my flex 71 2 row set up. So simple to use and maintain.

biglakeba$$ can you send me the info on your guy in Owatonna? At that price, I could build a 4 row unit pretty darn cheap!

Thanks,

-John

upload_2015-6-29_11-5-19.png

As a farmer the ONE thing that you DO NOT want to screw up on all year is the planter pass. Nothing is as sacred as that pass. I wouldnt buy something just cause its cheap. Way better off to buy something that works. Trust me, I know from experience. I would much rather buy something that is $2500 and works than some rusty pile of shit that cost $800 and needs a bunch of work and parts and at the end of the day still might not work.