All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Deer sidewalks" within hinge-cut bedding area

Some of this may depend on the aspects of the individual property. For me, I think not cutting trails may be better. My reasons are:

• My sanctuary is close to civilization. Even though I haven't seen a dog on cameras for months, that could change at any time. Most yard type dogs won't bust much brush and will follow the path of least resistance.
  • My timber sanctuary is small (30 acres divided into two parts that touch, and is an island from other woods). It takes less pressure to disturb a mature buck in smaller areas like this IMHO.
  • In fall when my grasses are tall, the whole thing essentially becomes a place where a deer could bed or travel. I do mow shooting lanes late in the summer but stop short of mowing back into the areas where I know deer are more prone to bed.
If I backed up to a wilderness, I think I would feel differently.

Last edited: