"Deer sidewalks" within hinge-cut bedding area

BOC

5 year old buck +
Guys,

There is a lot of talk these days about maintaining deer sidewalks within hinge-cut bedding areas. I have read of guys doing it with a DR brush mower or weed whipper and then using herbicide to keep them clean. My question for those of you with experience is do you notice usage of a bed (natural or man made) increases or decreases with how close your trail comes to it?

The reason I ask is because after clipping and spraying my trails I noticed a few of them pass right by a beds. The beds still maintain all the qualities deer prefer (some being natural as it is); however, I put a trail right by them. Another way of asking is, should these beds be off the beaten path a little bit more? On my drive home today after completing this task I got to thinking and can't say I ever observed a natural bed next to a natural trail so the wheels started spinning. What I did do was enhance their escape route and make it easier for them to find and access the bed with connected trails. I just wasn't sure it being on a trail would hurt my cause.

Any thoughts or experiences?
Thanks in advance!
BOC

Haven't gotten this far yet. Sidewalks are my big improvement for next winter.

But I wouldn't think you hurt a thing. The critters have to get to the bedroom, you just gave them a hallway.

That's great perspective Bill! Made me smile reading that!

I have not created any beds that have worked out. I have created a mess where deer bed and most of these locations are a bit off of my deer trails.

I do try and create these messes on fingers off of ridges or other likely spots. I'm a flatlander, so the fingers aren't much.

I have noticed natural beds typically off the trail at least some. I really screwed myself last year when I thought I was creating a "sneak path" between some wooded cover and my NWSG and weeds (leading several 100 yards between food plot locations) - I figured it would be an ideal location for deer to use and walk right past a stand. Well I was right - it WAS an ideal location. I found a spot where a buck had been using in this very location - complete with rubs and large bed or two. My blundering with a mower went right past it only to see it after the fact - I saw ZERO use of it after that. I find more natural beds on my place when there is not as much of a defined trail. There may be a defined trail leading into the general area or even thru the area, but the beds seem to be situated off of that trail some distance - typically overlooking the trail.

I thought about doing this and then got to thinking that I might be making it easier for coyotes and/or dogs to make their way into where the deer are. I'm still pondering this. Anyone have thoughts about that?

I thought about doing this and then got to thinking that I might be making it easier for coyotes and/or dogs to make their way into where the deer are. I'm still pondering this. Anyone have thoughts about that?
I wondered the same thing. Predators like to travel on ATV trails because they are easy to run on. If we create nicely manicured routes through bedding doesn't that entice the predators to travel through? All of my designed bedding has been done around already natural paths and current bedding locations. I would like to see a tutorial on how guys are creating the sidewalks within their bedding.

These sidewalk things are ocd habitat extremes. the key is getting the cover. The deer will find a way through it, and make their trails. If you want to create a theory, Not having awesome trails entices the deer to bed closer to foot sources because it more work getting around. We can create theories anyway we want.

These sidewalk things are ocd habitat extremes. the key is getting the cover. The deer will find a way through it, and make their trails. If you want to create a theory, Not having awesome trails entices the deer to bed closer to foot sources because it more work getting around. We can create theories anyway we want.

They might be ocd when it comes to making your land actually better for the deer, however sidewalks are GREAT for making it more huntable. It's a lot easier to hunt if there is only one or two doors to a bedroom. Once your in the bedroom, I'd say it's MUCH more about the cover itself.

Dipper, they are OCD but I tell you what, they flat out work. Rally has said it best, they make your property more huntable and it becomes not a matter of if but when a deer is going to pass by your stand. "Predictable deer movement" (not my words-someone else can take credit) is a wonderful thing. With that being said, I am now going to be paying close attention and experiment with "predictable bedding" along those movements. The predator point raised above is a legitimate concern and the foundation for my question. You can stick with the theory that it makes the bedding area more huntable for the predators; however, you can also theorize it makes it easier for the deer to escape trouble.

I just cut one of my deer trails, Ok, called a sidewalk.

I have never worried about being close to bedding in thick cover.IMG_20150623_102221.jpg

On the right is a small area of tag alders that I clearcut a few winters back. Mature tags in front.

IMG_20150623_102355.jpg

i apologize, I didn't know a sidewalk was a scientific term for a deer trail. Haha I've never gone ocd and sprayed trails, but I have cleared a few fallen trees and saplings, so I am guilty for aiding a "sidewalk" from time to time.
I'm kinda behind the times and a little old fashion, but when did we start calling trails sidewalks anyway?

i'm thinking the term "sidewalk" applies more to a completely manufactured travel corridor connecting two or more types of deer habitat for the express purpose of encouraging deer to use those specific travel corridors so that they can be more predictably patterned and stand locations can be as heavily weighted to the hunters' favor as possible

A bit more than just existing deer trails. Although one could enhance an existing trail or travel corridor to be more consistent with the above definition of a sidewalk. Just my take on the situation and i may be way off base.

Dang it. And I just bought 2000 feet of 2X4 forms and a bull float.
Bill I think there's plenty of guys that would take it to that extreme. if it meant a harvesting opportunity. Hahahaha
Just make sure it's finished with a brush, don't want the poor deer slipping!

Bill I think there's plenty of guys that would take it to that extreme. if it meant a harvesting opportunity. Hahahaha
Just make sure it's finished with a brush, don't want the poor deer slipping!

It's sad but you're right.

Having said that Im not giving up my fake deer poop for anyone.

I can state this. If you place a dot on the downwind side of the hinged bedding, Bucks will scent check those areas during the rut.

My deer sometimes make trails outside of the trees meant to funnel them on the sidewalk, but they still use the hinged bedding. Sometimes inside the hinge as designed, sometimes on the outside not as planned.

It's extra edge and deer relate to edge. Not as we always plan but they like edge.

This is kinda interesting. I remember back on the qdma forum guys talking about this. Some guys liked wider managed trails from bedding area to bedding area for easier access while others wanted it much thicker,and brushed up to keep the bucks on their land longer. I lean more towards the second idea of thicker is better. In my observation, yes, some deer will use the wider trails but when it comes to older,more mature bucks(at least the 2 I've shot) they tend to stay off the beaten path and stay in the thicker cover even if there's an easier path 10 ft away.

These are all ocd theories, the criticial aspect is getting the habitat. You can start and stop there, and have awesome hunting in a decent area.