Dark side MN fodder if you are bored and not banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throw rocks?!? H#!!, I'm the type that when I am in the right(or wrong) mood, I will walk up and poke the nest with a short stick!:eek:;)

Well I added a lengthy comment to Ben's thread. I didn't mean to distract from the plight of those of you in MN, but I think it is important for folks to see that many states are following a very similar path and that QDMA/NDA membership is up because hunters are looking for that leadership and support. QDMA may have turned it's back on MN - hopefully they see the error of their ways. I realize that is a long shot, but if they take a passive route though this with the other states headed in that direction the QDMA will suffer. The QDMA wants to ignore or look the other way then there isn't much members can do, but send a message by not being members anymore. QDMA wants to essentially become only relevant in the south - fine. As we all know we can practice QDM without being a member. This may actually open a door for a more northern focused deer/habitat organization to get a foothold and grow - and that may not be a bad thing.

Like I said I didn't mean to distract from the thread - I just felt it was important for folks to see this is a far bigger issue than just MN.

Thought I would post what I put for those that may not have access.
MN issue.jpg

j-bird,

I don't think you distracted from anything. Your points are all valid, and I believe you are totally correct in the fact that if QDMA does not step up to the plate for its "growing membership" when the rubber hits the road in these challenged areas of the country, things will come crashing down around them.

P.S. I tried to join the fun over there last night, but mysteriously, I never got an activation email from them, so I can't post yet.

Seems to me.....its pretty much like politics. Most (if not all) large national organizations are long on promise.....and short on delivery.

Regardless of the individual stance on the QDMA/NDA - these organizations are now more in control of their own future more so now than ever before. As dissatisfaction grows with DNR so will the membership. Look at Foggy's tag line! "When a defining moment comes along....you either define the moment....or the moment defines you. If these organizations step up to the plate (and define this moment) the general membership will essentially build them a palace and the membership will only grow stronger! If these organizations hide in a corner (and allows the moment to define them), that same membership will figuratively burn the place to the ground!

I am willing to give these organizations a chance (NDA has not asked for a dime from me and my QDMA membership is already paid for). However I am also expecting to have to roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty as well. I'm not so sure many of the hunting public are prepared for that. It's a totally different mindset - of those that are willing to complain and those that are willing to do something about it! Talkers are easy to find - Doers are far more rare!

I have not paid my dues in over two years yet they still list me as a QDMA member. No wonder they have increasing membership with that kind of tracking.

Well I added a lengthy comment to Ben's thread. I didn't mean to distract from the plight of those of you in MN, but I think it is important for folks to see that many states are following a very similar path and that QDMA/NDA membership is up because hunters are looking for that leadership and support. QDMA may have turned it's back on MN - hopefully they see the error of their ways. I realize that is a long shot, but if they take a passive route though this with the other states headed in that direction the QDMA will suffer. The QDMA wants to ignore or look the other way then there isn't much members can do, but send a message by not being members anymore. QDMA wants to essentially become only relevant in the south - fine. As we all know we can practice QDM without being a member. This may actually open a door for a more northern focused deer/habitat organization to get a foothold and grow - and that may not be a bad thing.

Like I said I didn't mean to distract from the thread - I just felt it was important for folks to see this is a far bigger issue than just MN.

I completely agree. The same things that are happening in some areas of MN will pop up in other areas of the country and in some cases already have.

Joe - we all have to have goals - being a new member and banned in the same day - that is one I never really though of.

Then Ben goes and makes another thread and Wisc chimes in.

Did you guys throw rocks at the bees nest as kids? :D

It's good to get people fired up once in a while, but it sure seems like the feisty ones are either gone or quiet over there. Kind of boring if you ask me.

On a separate note, I still do like the QDMA magazine even though the same info can be found here for free. I think as an organization they will have to change to remain relevant if there are massive changes in the deer herds across the country. The path that worked well as deer numbers were climbing will not work when they fall. It would be nice if they could provide peer reviewed data from biologists that they could give to people like us to use when we work with our DNR agencies. It's fairly easy for the DNR to marginalize the critical comments by us since we're not biologists. But if we had firm data from biologists that supported our position we might be in a better spot.

I don't really have much of a dog in this fight since the hunting in our area of SE MN is actually really good. But I'm worried that the problems in other areas of the state will make their way down to us eventually.

I don't really have much of a dog in this fight since the hunting in our area of SE MN is actually really good. But I'm worried that the problems in other areas of the state will make their way down to us eventually.

The masses are on their way. 2 on my stakeholder team had made more than one trip down to scout SE MN, and they are bringing friends.

Zone 1 hunters are migrating to zone 2, and many zone 2 hunters are looking towards zone 3.

The masses are on their way. 2 on my stakeholder team had made more than one trip down to scout SE MN, and they are bringing friends.

Zone 1 hunters are migrating to zone 2, and many zone 2 hunters are looking towards zone 3.

I actually think that the hunting will continue to get better down here as more guys buy land specifically for hunting, which will slowly give the DNR less and less control. But that's a bad deal for the guys down here that don't own their own land.

You guys really need to grow up and get over it..Whats done is done..It gets really old seeing the same old bullshit bashing of another forum and organization. You don't like it there stop going and stop bringing it here.

You guys really need to grow up and get over it..Whats done is done..It gets really old seeing the same old bullshit bashing of another forum and organization. You don't like it there stop going and stop bringing it here.

It's not done though - the deer population goal setting process in MN is still ongoing for 3/4 of the state. Assistance from a national deer organization could have a positive impact.

I was talking about all the crap that went down on the QDM forum months ago. Leave it there. Most don't care or want to see it constantly brought up here on this forum. Calling it the darkside really?? How mature is that? Constantly bashing and throwing out jabs about it. Go do it somewhere else. I swear John said he didn't want to see that shit on here anymore more than once. I am sure there are many on here who don't want to see post's and links from the QDMA forum about this crappola. That's not why they are here. That not why I am here. This isn't your private bitching room about what you think is fair or unfair about what the QDMA did or didn't do.

I gotta agree with Dave on this one....

I get it. A bunch of you are upset with the QDMA. I also understand why. I actually think you deserve to be upset with them.

That said, I have NO ax to grind with the QDMA. I'm still a life member and they haven't done anything (directly) to me. I owe much of my interest in this habitat stuff to them. Without their forum who knows where I might be. I met lots of great people over there 'back in the day' that seriously changed my outlook and life.

I'm locking this thread, I've personally communicated with Dave for his comments above, and hope everyone else understands. I don't want to be a sheriff, but once in a while I'm forced to.

Thanks,

-John

Status
Not open for further replies.