CWD

CWD has hit elk just as hard as deer. There are areas out west, NM unit 34 comes to mind, with very high CWD percentage. They were doing mandatory testing in that area at one point, not sure if they still do or not.

That doesn't contradict anything in what you quoted from me.

I didn't say elk are inherently less likely to contract CWD than whitetails. I said I think CWD is easier to control among elk populations, and I stand by that.

You mentioned mandatory reporting, for example. That's a lot easier to do with elk than with whitetails, for the simple fact there are far fewer elk harvested than whitetails.

I can definitely see CWD potentially being easier to control in some ways like you’ve stated. Some of those traits that make them different from deer would also complicate things. The vast home range of elk for example facilitate deposit of infected prion in a much larger area than a similarly infected Whitetail. Of course the herding habits on their winter range would make it easier to “control” in some ways I guess.

Just my opinions though. The wildlife departments in CO and WY have been dealing with affected elk and deer for years. I’m sure they have an opinion on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..... The wildlife departments in CO and WY have been dealing with affected elk and deer for years. I’m sure they have an opinion on the topic. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec. 2015 Wyoming: Chronic Wasting Disease kills 19% of deer herd annually

Sep. 2016 UW Research Finds First-Ever Evidence of White-Tailed Deer Declines from CWD

March 2016 Wyoming State vet: Combat CWD by reducing elk feeding

Nov. 2015 Wyoming: Chronic Wasting Disease vaccine fails elk test

CWD has jumped 200 plus miles north in Minnesota.

A Wild deer in Crow Wing County is positive.

CWD has jumped 200 plus miles north in Minnesota.

A Wild deer in Crow Wing County is positive.

Great. In the vicinity of the infected farm I suppose.

Well, a new group of hunters has to decide what they're going to do. When the DNR starts spreading doe tags with a silage blower, are you guys gonna fill those tags in the name of containment?

Might as well skip ahead a couple years. Will you let them bait and sharp shoot on your property?

It should be much easier for the White Buffalo guys to exterminate the northern herd due to the alarmingly high percentage of public land up there. They likely won't even need landowner participation to get it done. All they'll need is the feed truck to come out and auger a small pile.

Suppose the guy knew it was sick and didn't want to deal with it, so he let it out of the cage.

This isn't getting enough attention. Progress towards a cure.

We need to build a wall

well, how about that... we just needed to create a thread and people find a cure.... what else in the outdoor world can we fix. It’s interesting that it’s a bacterial infection. Can’t wait for progress on this.

Last I read was that 99% of the scientists involved think it's prions and 1% are in the bacteria camp. Also read that this past year a guy was able create the prions for the 1st time in the lab, which was a point for team prion. The bacteria guys say that prions are the result and not the cause of cwd. I haven't watched that video yet, but plan to later today.

Last I read was that 99% of the scientists involved think it's prions and 1% are in the bacteria camp. Also read that this past year a guy was able create the prions for the 1st time in the lab, which was a point for team prion. The bacteria guys say that prions are the result and not the cause of cwd. I haven't watched that video yet, but plan to later today.
99% of scientists are paid to find the results their benefactors are looking for, or avoid the conclusion they're wanting buried.

Not going to argue that. Maybe the number is 97%, but close enough.

Hell, heart disease, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes are completely preventable. Just a few weeks ago, some Israeli scientists claimed they were very close to curing cancer. The big problem is, if a cure for cancer is allowed to happen, along with truthful and widely accepted means to prevent heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes, the economy would completely collapse. I'm talking end of days collapse.

Rush Limbaugh gave the cancer story some air time.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2019/01/29/what-would-the-cure-for-cancer-mean/

1550338364553.png

The cancer cure, I'll be watching that one. Countless companies have thought they were down the path too, then the trials fail. Yes heart disease is largely preventable. Problem is, milkshakes and steak taste so damn good. Knowing what to do is easy. My blood pressure gets way too high. If I get back on the elliptical machine, stick to my daily plain oatmeal, and lay off the ice cream, then I can take 150/90 down to 110/70 in a little more than a week. A couple times a year I get lazy. I think if a few cancer cures ever become available, and a segment of the population is cured, then something else becomes the worry by default and the money and medicine will just shift focus. Something else will kill ya, something to treat.

I've had shares in AMRN a long time. They make an FDA approved, highly purified EPA (like fish oil but way better) to treat people with very high trigs. FDA hosed them 7 yrs ago on making the label broader. Said they need an outcomes study. So for 7 years they did the study with thousands of patients. Results came in a few months ago. Outcomes (death, heart attack, stroke) were reduced by 25%. Stock went up 300% in 1 day. Prescriptions are increasing every week. Still need FDA approval for the larger population later this year, but it has the makings of a game changer. Maybe you've seen their ad on Fox news. Their pill is called Vascepa. I guess my point here is that people will take a pill to help if they can just tweak their lifestyle somewhat and find some middle ground.

Rush for Pres.

The cancer cure, I'll be watching that one. Countless companies have thought they were down the path too, then the trials fail. Yes heart disease is largely preventable. Problem is, milkshakes and steak taste so damn good. Knowing what to do is easy. My blood pressure gets way too high. If I get back on the elliptical machine, stick to my daily plain oatmeal, and lay off the ice cream, then I can take 150/90 down to 110/70 in a little more than a week. A couple times a year I get lazy. I think if a few cancer cures ever become available, and a segment of the population is cured, then something else becomes the worry by default and the money and medicine will just shift focus. Something else will kill ya, something to treat.

I've had shares in AMRN a long time. They make an FDA approved, highly purified EPA (like fish oil but way better) to treat people with very high trigs. FDA hosed them 7 yrs ago on making the label broader. Said they need an outcomes study. So for 7 years they did the study with thousands of patients. Results came in a few months ago. Outcomes (death, heart attack, stroke) were reduced by 25%. Stock went up 300% in 1 day. Prescriptions are increasing every week. Still need FDA approval for the larger population later this year, but it has the makings of a game changer. Maybe you've seen their ad on Fox news. Their pill is called Vascepa. I guess my point here is that people will take a pill to help if they can just tweak their lifestyle somewhat and find some middle ground.

Rush for Pres.
The sad thing is, all these diseases have constituencies. There are entire industries and lobbying groups that depend on these diseases flourishing. Healthcare, pharma, avoid-the-cure research, and non-profits all stand to go belly up if cures and preventions succeed. Throw in eating habits, and agriculture, food processing, restaurants, and retail grocery would be completely burnt to the ground.

Well I watched the video that came out of PA. Definitely interesting to see how confident they are. The guy predicted Dr. Bastion will win the Nobel prize for this.

Sandbur, any thoughts on it being bacteria and not prion born, and if these guys are onto something or just pie in the sky?

Well I watched the video that came out of PA. Definitely interesting to see how confident they are. The guy predicted Dr. Bastion will win the Nobel prize for this.

Sandbur, any thoughts on it being bacteria and not prion born, and if these guys are onto something or just pie in the sky?

I have mixed feelings on the bacteria line of thoughts but we need to look at all options including testing of wild deer for resistant genes.

With all of the money being spent, we could put a bit into these other areas.

It's hard to take them seriously. The second guy was practically incoherent.